Confused, Exhausted and Discouraged:(

Options

Replies

• ritaadkins2002
    ritaadkins2002 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    cheer up sweetie....u are doing wonderful.....u have to do what works for u even if it is 15 minutes of exercise....u can do this....u have.....what u can do is build up even 5 extra minutes to yur workout until u get where u want to be and what works for u .....u are doing this journey....don't give up girl.:smile:
  • kstep88
    kstep88 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I am a mother of a 2 year old, and 3 month old...and I'm finishing my Bachelors/Masters blend in Political Science and Government ... Trust me, I know how sedentary that can be. You have to make time. I'm not sure of how many classes you take, but try working on 1 subject for an hour then standing up, stretching and wiggling around. Then do more school work. Make a plan to do That for 15 minutes in between each class. At the end of the day, take a jog for 20 minutes. You've started slow, now gradually build your way up.That's exactly what I did. Now I can exercise for an hour at a time and then some. It wont happen over night, but you CAN. do it. ♥ Also, the break in between assignmenys will help.you with your school work. (Learned that in my first semester lol)
  • MinaAriel
    MinaAriel Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    15 minutes is a good start but I would increase it a bit. Can you do 20 or 25 every time? Increase a bit every week. Not everyone has two hours a day to exercise. Besides, you have to work your way up to it. I have recently restarted my journey to good health. Last year I lost 15 lbs and after a couple of months I got lazy and regained. I know my 30 minutes today left me drenched in sweat when a year ago I could do 60. It's gonna take time. Use this time to experiment and discover the activities that you like the most and are more likely to keep up with.

I would also try to maybe do pushups, crunches, lunges, etc. on the days you don't do cardio. Strength training will help you lose weight and it's best to start out using your own body weight.

Every little bit is more than you did before. You will get there. :)
  • ASPhantom
    ASPhantom Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    I started with the Couch to 5K program. Then added in 30 Day Shred and now have added walking on non-running days and mountain biking on the weekends.

Go slow or you will either get injured or burnout or both.

Hang in there.

Anything you do is better than sitting on the couch!
  • amberrrogers
    Options
    I started working out just 6 days ago. I did 90 minutes walking the first two days, 30 the next 3 and did yoda for 15 minutes aerobics 15 minutes and ballroom dancing workout for 15 minutes the three days i only walked for 30 minutes (the 15 minute intervals were all i could physically handle). I was able to go the gym and work out for 50 minutes today and I feel great. I have almost 200 ponds to lose. And I too have been so freaking lazy there were days i didnt get off the couch except to eat and go potty. I look at it this way, some of the members here have been at this awhile, have built an endurance and there is no way after 1 week of exercising that i can keep up with them. But every minute i exercise a day is a minute more than I used to. No I say build your endurance and add more time, like I am

YOGA NOT YODA IM SORRY
  • alapoint89
    Options
    try working out 30 minutes and add 15 every week till you are at 1hr and take it slowly and you will see results but if you wanna add me i can help motivate you like im trying to do for many of my friends on my list
  • Jenscan
    Jenscan Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I'll echo everyone else. To lose weight, you need to watch your diet and exercise. Diet is like 80% of it, exercise 20%. I really disagree with people who say you have to exercise 1-2-3 hours a day and burn in the 4 digits. It's a lie. Fat, ugly, lie. First of all, most of us don't have time to work out that amount (and the "make the time" phrase is trite, untrue, and unproductive), and I certainly don't have the will or stamina to do it. There's no magic number, calorie burn, or time limit on exercise. Do what is right for YOU, on that day, at that time. The rest will come.

Net-net: Exercise moderately 4-6 times a week and stay within your calorie goals. You're doing fine.
  • ahinescapron
    ahinescapron Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with starting slowly. Just keep adding a little at a time and you will get there. If you don't have a lot of time all at once, take ten minute breaks a few times a day and go walk around the block at a brisk pace. Add activity during your day: take the stairs, park further away, etc. It all adds up. Oh, and, celebrate your small successes! You got off the couch and took the first step...that is a victory in itself!
  • alapoint89
    Options
    i also work out 30 minutes to an hour a day
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Try to gradually increase your exercise. 10% every week. 2 hours is a huge commitment, but aim for 45-60 minutes a day!

Also go out your own pace. Everyone takes a different journey, but the most important thing is to make it a habit. It is way better to exercise 15 minutes for 6 days a week consistently than exercise 2 hours a day once every 3 weeks.
  • MIMITIME
    MIMITIME Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Don't be discouraged. Any exercise is better than no exercise. You are at a wonderful place to find your own way when it comes to exercising and calories. There was a thread on here the other day from a poster that has physical limitations and can not do a lot of exercise so they were asking if they would be able to lose the weight. I was surprised to find a lot of responders that say they don't exercise, just stick to the calories and still lose weight. So no, not everyone exercises 2 hours a day 5 days a week. You will find what is good for you so it doesn't matter what someone else is doing - just you.
  • geekymom57
    geekymom57 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Set your personal goal for what you think is attainable AND sustainable. Going from nothing to 45 minutes is still SOMETHING and you should feel good about taking that step. I set my MFP goal at 30 minutes 3 times a week because I was pretty sure that I could find the time to do that, even with work, family, volunteer obligations, etc.

I was out of shape and hadn't exercised regularly in at least 3 years. The first couple of weeks, even 30 minutes at a snail's pace on the elliptical wore me out and near the end, I usually needed to help myself by using whatever you call those things you grab on to and move back and forth. :0) (it's the end of the day and my words are gone.) This week I noticed that I can now go through one of the programs that goes up and down from one to four levels of resistance and rarely need to use the bars except near the end and for the four level resistance.

You'll find the same kind of small, incremental progress that will help you get to your long term goal. Stick with it and congratulations on taking the first steps!
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    One other thing--I am working out for an hour at the gym because it gives me some time to myself without my kids or work responsibilities. I put my favorite music on my iPod and just enjoy the time. My job allows me to take my lunch break later in the day, so I go then (gym is two minutes away!). I am able to unwind. You may find that as you are able to increase your workouts, your mind is clearer; then when you sit down to study, your study time will likely be more productive. If you try to start with too much, though, you'll just want to go home and crawl in the bed. Start with what helps you feel good, then increase the time gradually.

I agree with the other folks here that have said not to compare yourself with others. My sister is a dancer and runs half-marathons; my 65 year old father does them with her. If I compare myself to them, I'll just get discouraged. I have to compare myself now with where I was a week ago, or a month ago, or a year ago. THAT will show progress.

Hang in there!
  • andersoketawm
    Options
    Thanks all for your responses, they were a lot of help. I will Most def stick to what is good for me an add more excercise as I go along. I really appreciate the motivation. A lot of the time I find that I don't give myself credit for the small accomplishments and simply focus on what I believe I'm not doinng properly. I know thats not a great way of lookig at things and I need to make a change overall in my way of thinking because its unhealthy.
  • katherines2230
    katherines2230 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Please don't be discourages!! You have to start somewhere and it looks like you are off to a great start. Any exercise that you are doing now is an improvement if you were previously sedentary! If you feel comfortable increasing it to 30 minutes 3 times a week, try that and just continue to increase as you can handle it. If you try to start with too much, too fast it could be a disaster. I am in the gym 5 days a week every day for about an hour but I can guarantee you it was a gradual process, as in months so please don't give up! Feel free to add me!

Oh yeah, I'm sure someone has already mentioned it but what/how much you eat is more important than how much time you spend working out!
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    Please do not compare yourself to others. You can only compare who you are today to who you were before. In those terms you have already had MANY successes. Everyday, just TRY to be better. There will be days it won't happen, but positive forward motion is the best we can ever hope for.
  • nelson6500
    Options
    I don't really focus on time, more distance. I started like you a little at a time. I started with 1 mile and didn't care if it took 18 or 30 minutes. I am now up to 3 miles most days. Some days are slower than others. I have a couple different paths so it changes. As long as you are doing something everyday it helps. I found that I had more energy and then I wanted to go farther and faster.

Don't get down on your self. Just set monthly/weekly goals and go from there.

Good Luck,
  • jackiejax1981
    jackiejax1981 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    GIRRRRL puhLEAASE!!! You are AWESOME because you took the initiative to start doing SOMETHING rather than NOTHING! Don't sweat it hunni.....you can do whatever you want when you put your mind to it. You can add me if you want and i'll totally encourage you!!! I was an athlete, fell off, joined the military, got an injury, now i'm back to working out and this thing is helping me stay motivated and pay attention to what i'm eating etc. The best advice...NEVER focus on others, focus on yourSELF! <3
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    Try not to compare yourself to other people. I know it's inevitable, but switch it off when you hear it starting up in your head. Compare yourself only to yourself. As in "yesterday I was unable to jog from here to that tree over there, but today I passed the tree and jogged to the house around the corner." Not "the lady in my neighborhood goes around the block 4 times easy." You're not her. You're you, and what you're doing is good.

I lost my weight (35lb) by walking for 40 minutes per day M-F, and then started to add a weekend day here and there. I stayed consistent and watched my calories. Now, 3 years later, I've kept the weight off (with fluctuations during stressful times), and I don't work out for more than an hour 6 days week. I would work out more if I had more time because I like to. But I just wanted to illustrate the points a) it doesn't take much, and b) you will probably end up enjoying exercise more as you go.
  • rbryntes
    rbryntes Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    It's a process. You went from no exercise to three times exercising a week. Ignore other people and start small.