Getting those around involved

Options
hello my name is Quiana and I really enjoy my fitness pal on my cell phone it is so useful, and I am becoming more aware and mindful of my habits and consumption. Today at work my peers are all feeling the same way ...Wanting to lose more weight....exercise more.... become healthier. I suggested that we all join myfitness pal. My dilemma is getting everyone together to do it. Has any of you had any success with joining co-workers with your weight loss goals?

Replies

• Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Lots of companies do weight loss contests. If everyone pays an entry fee, the one who loses the most weight in a given timeframe gets to keep the money.
  • SportySpiceVT
    SportySpiceVT Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I work from home (daycare) but I try to get any and every one I know involved. Even if they don't want to lose weight it good for fitness reasons. I think the more people that know about your goals, the better. You can help keep each other in line and especially at work. Work can have tons of snacks and food loaded with calories. If you are all on board, hopefully that will help. I try to walk once a week with my weight-loss partner. Maybe you could walk on your break with your co-workers? Good luck!
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Biggest looser type things work. Getting anyone to log all their food with MFP is another matter entirely.
  • Sarakay81
    Options
    I have been at my place of employment for over a year now and they strongly encourage healthy activities, Biggest Loser Challenges, and fun incentives for loosing weight. In general, there is more participation when people don't think of it as a healthy activity, but more as a social gathering or even just a fun contest. I am not very creative when it comes to things like this, but I have seen how some of these group functions have greatly improved my co-workers lives. The one activity that has drawn the most response are charity walk-a-thons. When people exercise for charity it seems to be more fun and a major feel good moment when they are done. Something as simple as walking laps on the school track can be made competitive and fun that benefits any local charity you'd like. Talk about a win win!:wink:
  • SingSmileLaugh
    Options
    I am a teacher and don't necessarily have phone numbers of people I work with, but I have one lunch buddy whom I share my healthy choices with and she shares hers. We discuss our lunches and snacks and tell each other how great we're doing and if we're not doing so greatly, then we can make suggestions for one another. It's nice to have someone to bounce things off of, but not compare to. i'm not naturally competitive, so competing with her wouldn't help me. Sharing in the experience works for us-
    Good luck to you and your co workers!!! :happy: