Either the Weight Goes or I Go :(

Options
Long story short im a big guy, and the doctor said either i start losing the weight or i might not be around much longer. I could really use a hand staying motivated. I have a hard time staying with a routine.

I could use some easy (and i mean single bachelor easy) recipes i could fix at home. I eat out waaaaaaaay too much just because its easier then making things myself. But seeing the sodium in numbers really hit home.

My friend Shelley has really pushed me to get on here, she said maybe you all could help.

Replies

• Malani2010
    Options
    Welcome
  • LovesNoodles
    Options
    welcome!!!
    great job on joining :)

I think seeing examples of what your friends are eating a long with seeing them log workouts will be SUPER motivating - I know it is for me!!!

Feel free to add me as a friend if you like :)
  • davidpm
    davidpm Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    A simple thing I do is cook a whole turkey roast on Sunday and use it as a main ingredient all week. You can make wraps, eat a little as a snack, or use it as the protein for a meal or an omelette in the morning.

To avoid eating out, try to plan your meals for the entire week on Sunday, go buy all of the things you need and cook as much as you can. Put it in tupperware and you're good to go for the week. I also try to have some frozen dinners (there are lower sodium varieties available) for those days that I'm feel tired. It's a much better alternative to eating out.

If you need some support or advice (from a single bachelor no less!) feel free to send me a friend request.
  • jackiebo
    jackiebo Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Well, you're doing the right thing by asking for help. You must not know how to cook :-) Eating out, and esp. fast foods, will do you so much damage, but the good news is, it's reversible. Start eating fresh fruit, anything in season, or even frozen berries, they are as good as fresh. Veggies, lean meat, chicken w/o the skin. You might have to browse the recipe section of the boards, or even google Weight Watcher's recipes, or buy some cookbooks, Hungry Girl and WW are good, although I've found the WW recipes to sometimes contain ingredients that are kind of "unusual". Frozen dinners like Lean Cuisine and WW are low in calories, but just loaded with sodium, and that sounds like an issue with you.

You'll do okay if you stick to it, this is a great site with lots of helpful people. Best wishes and good luck.

Jackie
  • electricnarwhal
    Options
    Welcome and hello!

There are a lot of helpful, supportive, motivational people all over the place on here. As well as TONS of recipes! Feel free to add me, if you would like to. Good luck on your journey and we're all glad to have you here. :)
  • MemphisMarly
    Options
    Your friend Shelley is smart! ;)

- Don't used prepackaged rice (a la Rice a Roni) because it's super high in sodium. This is also true for a lot of other things, like soups. Throw vegetables (fresh bell peppers and tomatoes, frozen okra) in your regular dishes (soups, sandwiches, salads, salsa) to add flavor and vitamins.

- Use bags of brown rice. It's surprisingly easy to make -- just use 2:1 water:rice, bring to a boil and then simmer (low heat) for about 40 minutes. (The package will say if you need to cook it differently, but long-cook rice is healthier than minute rice.) Throw in some frozen veggies with a little water about 5 or 6 minutes before it's supposed to be ready.

- Advice: Mrs. Dash does not have salt. Cinnamon is also good.

- A spoonful of peanut butter is a good way to fill you up and give you protein.

- Honey is a good way to satisfy a sweet tooth craving. Use a little honey or a banana on corn flakes instead of buying sweetened cereal.

- Make substitutions. Dip carrots and celery into salsa to replace salty snack foods.

- Can't get more bachelor than this tip: You can cook corn on the cob in the microwave, as long as you leave the husk on to keep it moist.
  • StrengthIDidntKnow
    Options
    Welcome and good luck!

I buy chicken breasts in bulk and freeze them in individual bags, that way I can just pull them from the freezer as I need them.
  • Hoppymom
    Hoppymom Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    HI welcome. Remember that it doesn't have to be routine. Some people log every time they eat others enter everything the night before, still others at the end of the day. Changing up your exercise keeps things from being to boring and routine too. Look online for recipes for one or easy recipies. There are a number of Diabetic Cooking magazines at the grocery store that have great, easy, low carb, low fat recipies and at least half are simple to make. Have fun with it! The message boards often have recipes too.
  • Saffyra
    Saffyra Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    There are several cookbooks for bachelors for sale on Amazon.com. One of them being The Bachelor's Guide to Warding Off Starvation.
    If you have a grill and you are willing to use it there are any number of things you can cook up on it without having to get out a skillet. Turkey burgers, chicken breasts, steak, pork chops...

You can microwave scrambled eggs, garden burgers, chili, corn on the cob. Buy those Steamer packs in the frozen vegetable section of the grocery store and microwave your self some veggies in a light sauce. You can even get microwavable brown rice!

On the other hand, no one wants you to 'go' so you might find its kinda fun to cook... Who knows... You might not be a bachelor forever and when the dates start rolling in, it might be nice for you to whip up a delectable dinner for someone special! ;)

The internet is a valuable resource for easy healthy meals. Google is your friend. I use it all the time to find recipes.

And, of course, good for you for making this decision! You *can* do this!
  • psmd
    psmd Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    On my really lazy days I microwave a Boca spicy chikn veggie patty and eat with 100-calorie sandwich bun thins, mustard and/or ketchup. Doesn't get easier than that!
  • dbecker70
    dbecker70 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me as a friend if you like :)
  • dlyeates
    dlyeates Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I totally do easy!!!

2 corn tostada (130-160 calories depending on brand)
    1 can black beans mashed with a little water and salt for consistency (make it like refried beans).....use 1 total serving per the can for the 2 tostadas
    Brown up ground turkey and add taco seasoning and follow directions. Use 1 serving and divide between the tostadas
    Top with shredded lettuce (or cut up) and a couple teaspoons or tablespoons (to taste, just count calories) of salsa

Depending on brands and your choice of servings this totals to around 500 calories.

Defrost chicken breast, put into baking dish, cover with salsa and bake in pre-heated oven of 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes until no longer pink in the center.

If you have a crockpot (get one!!!!) slice up 2-3 onions, put on bottom. Put 2 lbs of pork boneless country ribs on top. Cover with whole bottle of your favorite BBQ sauce (find one you like and watch calories). Cook on low for about 7 1/2 hours. Makes
    4 servings and reheats well.

www.allrecipes.com Turkey and Quinoa Meatloaf I leave out the hot sauce so my kids will eat it and make in a 12 section muffin tin. on 375 for 30 minutes.

Check my diary and if you need recipes let me know.
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Davidpm has the best advice - exactly what I would tell you to do. Remember, you're making a committment to change your eating, and part of that is learning how to prepare healthy meals that you can manage. The recipe section of the community page is a great place to browse. Also, try some websites - you can search MFP for some advice, but start with Skinnytaste.com - great way to start.

Don't get discouraged - you could have a cooking party - ask some of your good cook friends to come over and show you how to prepare some low cal meals. I'm sure they'd help you out.
  • SUgrad04
    Options
    Hi! I'm new too -- but I do probably have a bit more experience cooking for myself at home than you do (it sounds like). The key to not being intimidated by it -- and to making it an easy option when you're tempted to eat out is 1) to plan ahead and 2) to get a few simple "things" down that you can do without having to think too much about it.
    Planning ahead is the #1 lifestyle change I'm focusing on right now besides staying inside my calorie allowance -- #2 is getting some kind of exercise 5 days a week -- and my goal is to get the planning down to about 1/2 hour on one weekend day (not including shopping but including writing the shopping list). It takes me a little over an hour now, but I'm (relatively) new at it. It just really makes all the difference when you have a plan in mind -- lots of times our greatest trip-up is making automatic decisions (the ones that got us where we are today!) But the more you do it, the shorter the amount of time it takes, which is where 2) comes in.
    If you have a repertoire of items you can make without too much trouble, and the elements of them are kept around the house, that is a great help. Even just getting good at grilling a couple of kinds of meat and preparing a few vegetable dishes can be great, because one meat and one veggie is basically dinner. Also, we singles have it a little easier because we're only planning for us, and so only a handful of dishes need to be prepared for the entire week.
    Good luck! Friend me if you like. :-)
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Willing to help out any way I can too! I work as a chef !!!!
  • MemphisMarly
    Options
    I totally do easy!!!

2 corn tostada (130-160 calories depending on brand)
    1 can black beans mashed with a little water and salt for consistency (make it like refried beans).....use 1 total serving per the can for the 2 tostadas
    Brown up ground turkey and add taco seasoning and follow directions. Use 1 serving and divide between the tostadas
    Top with shredded lettuce (or cut up) and a couple teaspoons or tablespoons (to taste, just count calories) of salsa

Depending on brands and your choice of servings this totals to around 500 calories.

Defrost chicken breast, put into baking dish, cover with salsa and bake in pre-heated oven of 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes until no longer pink in the center.

If you have a crockpot (get one!!!!) slice up 2-3 onions, put on bottom. Put 2 lbs of pork boneless country ribs on top. Cover with whole bottle of your favorite BBQ sauce (find one you like and watch calories). Cook on low for about 7 1/2 hours. Makes
    4 servings and reheats well.

www.allrecipes.com Turkey and Quinoa Meatloaf I leave out the hot sauce so my kids will eat it and make in a 12 section muffin tin. on 375 for 30 minutes.

Check my diary and if you need recipes let me know.
    The tostada thing sounds really good, and I love quinoa... but boneless ribs? Cook it right, and the meat should just fall off the bone after cooking it anyway.
  • MemphisMarly
    Options
    I mean you would have to pull the meat off, but it should separate easily.
  • ljedmom
    ljedmom Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    My favorite places for easy yummy healthy recipes are eatingwell.com and eatbetteramerica.com
  • CEWalker03
    Options
    Joining is the first step in the program :) Good luck to you - it really does work!
  • Kaimana94
    Kaimana94 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Get a cockpot and look on the recipes blog. I just got throwen back into signal life two months ago after 22 years of marriage. You can do it. I don't eat anything speical I just watch what I eat now.