Quick tip that I learned for eating carbs!

Options
2»

Replies

• Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I talked with a nutritionist last night regarding carbs. She told me that we need to be eating low glycemic foods (beans, bran cereal, fruits, veggies, etc). Obviously. Well she also told me a little trick regarding whether which carbs to eat or not...

Look at the amount of carbs that the food item has...

Then look at the amount of fiber....

Take the number of fiber and times it by 7....

The amount of fiber multiplied by 7 should be higher than the amount of carbs. If it is, then it is a good carb to eat.

THAT is how you know whether it is a good carb or bad.

and what according to your nutritionist makes a good carb good and bad carb bad?

This - both increase blood glucose the same. GI is essentially a non factor for body compositional purposes.

I'll leave you with this quote from Alan Aragon...

http://www.google.com/search?q=alan+aragon&rls=com.microsoft:en-us&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&startIndex=&startPage=1

"GI has zero bearing on anyone (including diabetics) unless you fulfill ALL of the following conditions: a) you consume a high-carb/low-protein/low-fat/low-fiber diet, b) you remain in a chronically hypercaloric state for the purpose of weight gain, and c) you remain sedentary while maintaining conditions a & b. Then & only then might GI matter.
    If your diet is macronutritionally sound & predominated with whole & minimally refined foods, then you are worrying about nothing."

-Alan Aragon
  • hjollyrn
    hjollyrn Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I just did this with my food diary and my apple is a bad carb? Can this be true!?
    That's what I was just wondering!?
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I talked with a nutritionist last night regarding carbs. She told me that we need to be eating low glycemic foods (beans, bran cereal, fruits, veggies, etc). Obviously. Well she also told me a little trick regarding whether which carbs to eat or not...

Look at the amount of carbs that the food item has...

Then look at the amount of fiber....

Take the number of fiber and times it by 7....

The amount of fiber multiplied by 7 should be higher than the amount of carbs. If it is, then it is a good carb to eat.

THAT is how you know whether it is a good carb or bad.

and what according to your nutritionist makes a good carb good and bad carb bad?

This - both increase blood glucose the same. GI is essentially a non factor for body compositional purposes.

I'll leave you with this quote from Alan Aragon...

http://www.google.com/search?q=alan+aragon&rls=com.microsoft:en-us&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&startIndex=&startPage=1

"GI has zero bearing on anyone (including diabetics) unless you fulfill ALL of the following conditions: a) you consume a high-carb/low-protein/low-fat/low-fiber diet, b) you remain in a chronically hypercaloric state for the purpose of weight gain, and c) you remain sedentary while maintaining conditions a & b. Then & only then might GI matter.
    If your diet is macronutritionally sound & predominated with whole & minimally refined foods, then you are worrying about nothing."

-Alan Aragon

and the fact that GI is dependent on the food being fed to a fasted subject in an isocaloric state, which is not the case for most people
  • bhagavatilad1
    Options
    sounds good but why 7?
  • sarahew415
    sarahew415 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    No clue why she used 7 to multiply with? Maybe its her own method. Also, for those of you who were trying to do this for an apple...I really only use it for things like tortillas, spaghetti noodles, etc. Not for natural foods.
  • sarahew415
    Options
    :)
  • cownancy
    Options
    WOW...that is not in line with what my weight loss nutritionist and doctor say.....grams of carbs....any carbs...are to be counted and stay under 130 grams per day. Avoid white grains/rice/bread/pasta, potatoes....starches in general. No more than 23 grams of carbs in any one serving.

As far as apples are concerned, if my doctor could have his way, the ONLY fruit we would eat would be apples and two of them per day.

I understand the idea of what she is saying, but for significant weight loss, especially for people who have lots of hunger and cracings, you have to count carbs.
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    WOW...that is not in line with what my weight loss nutritionist and doctor say.....grams of carbs....any carbs...are to be counted and stay under 130 grams per day. Avoid white grains/rice/bread/pasta, potatoes....starches in general. No more than 23 grams of carbs in any one serving.

As far as apples are concerned, if my doctor could have his way, the ONLY fruit we would eat would be apples and two of them per day.

I understand the idea of what she is saying, but for significant weight loss, especially for people who have lots of hunger and cracings, you have to count carbs.

I don't think the OP was saying not to count carbs, I think she was just trying to help people have an easier way of distinguishing between "good carb" and "bad carb". I also don't think she was referring to whole, natural foods (fruits, veggies, etc) I think she was referring more to processed grains (cereal, bread, pasta, cookies, crackers, etc.) That's how I read it anyways.
  • eggmcg
    Options
    I'm not big boned! I'm fat!....wait, I think I said that wrong...

That is SUCH a funny signature! :laugh:
  • lornawalker
    Options
    Thanks for the post, I will give it a try:flowerforyou:
  • jklm
    jklm Posts: 281
    Options
    bump!
  • littlemount
    Options
    That is truly an awesome tip.
  • sarahew415
    Options

I don't think the OP was saying not to count carbs, I think she was just trying to help people have an easier way of distinguishing between "good carb" and "bad carb". I also don't think she was referring to whole, natural foods (fruits, veggies, etc) I think she was referring more to processed grains (cereal, bread, pasta, cookies, crackers, etc.) That's how I read it anyways.

Yes! Exactly! People forget that you will still need to check on your carbs. I just thought it was a nice way to figure out which foods are better to eat than others.