Candy Corn Cheesecake Mousse

Options
annecolorgreen
annecolorgreen Posts: 116 Member
I saw this recipe and thought it was so cute (I'm REALLY into fall stuff) and realized at the end that there were modifications to make it basically sugar free and low fat! I got so excited because I was needing to find something to take to a book club at a rehab center where a friend of mine is recovering from a stroke (at age 48). While in the hospital, they found she has diabetes and is now insulin dependent. This is obviously very upsetting to her and I wanted to bring something "festive" to show her there are options and subsitutions that work! This recipe did all that and EVERYONE loved it (including nursing staff that I shared with). What I did: tripled the recipe, left one white, colored one yellow, colored one orange and it was just the right amount for a dozen 1/2 pint ball jars (which were easy to transport with lids on). I tied a festive bow around each one.

My substitutions: splenda, 1/3 fat cream cheese, sugar free cool whip, fat free half and half. Very YUM.

http://glorioustreats.blogspot.com/2011/09/candy-corn-cheesecake-mousse.html

1 package (8 oz.) cream cheese
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/4 cup milk or cream
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 small container (8 oz.) Cool Whip, thawed

orange and yellow food color
candy corn (for garnish)

Directions ~
Beat cream cheese in the bowl of an electric mixer until fully smooth. Slowly add powdered sugar, then milk (or cream). Add vanilla. Continue mixing. Beat about 1 minute on medium to medium-high speed. Fold cool whip into cream cheese mixture, and stir until fully combined.

Scoop about 1/3 of the Cheesecake Mousse into a bowl, and color orange. Color another third of the mixture yellow. Leave the remaining third white. One color at a time (starting with yellow), scoop mixture into a piping bag or large ziplock bag, and squeeze a layer of the Cheesecake Mousse into small dessert dishes of your choice. Repeat with orange and then white Mousse.

Refrigerate 30 minutes (or up to 1 day) before serving. Garnish with candy corn if desired.

Recipe yields 4 moderate servings or 6-8 mini servings.

Recipe Source: Glorious Treats

Sugar Free Option: In the past, I have adjusted this recipe to be sugar free, with good results. Simply substitute 1/3 cup Splenda for the powdered sugar, and replace regular cool whip with sugar free cool whip. Omit candy corn garnish.

Recipe options: This general concept could be created using vanilla pudding or white chocolate mousse (from a mix or from scratch).

Replies