what am i doing wrong?! plz help

so this isnt working & i dont know why! here's what a normal week looks like exercise wise: bootcamp class for one hour monday-friday. bellydance once a week. couch to 5k three times a week. walk my dogs once or twice a day. plan to start 30DS when i get a new dvd player. also thinking about trying a zumba aquafit & a yoga class.
foodwise; im probably the pickyest eater alive but im trying my best to make healthy choices. for breakfast i usually eat peanut butter with toast or cereal & fruit. lunch and dinner is chicken, turkey, extra lean ground beef wrap, chicken noodle soup, eggs. snacks are fruit, granola bar, cheese string, low fat popcorn or skinny cow ice cream. i drink at least a liter of water a day.

my bootcamp instructor said i'd burn up to 700 calories per class and can expect to lose 2-3lbs a week. its such an intense class at 5am, i work soo hard & sweat my butt off!
so far i've lost 2 inches total. the most I've lost is 4lbs but keep gaining that back. i used to never exercise & eat fast food at least once a day. i thought i'd lose weight a bit easier then this ,im so frustrated.
i missed bootcamp twice this week because i feel like giving up. my goals are to lose 90/100 lbs and to run the disney princess half marathon in feb 2013. i started this sept 12, does it just need more time? i need more motivation!

Replies

• sonjalucia
    sonjalucia Posts: 120 Member
    In a nutshell, this won't happen overnight.

Think about how long it took for you to put on the weight you so desire to lose? I'm not saying it will take forever, but it won't happen in an instant.

Make small goals and monitor your portions. From the info you posted above (which isn't enough to make a hard and fast call) it looks like you have the right idea (minus cereal, it's loaded with hidden sugars and chemicals).

Use the diary, be honest and keep your head up!
  • DaniellePF
    DaniellePF Posts: 308 Member
    It takes time, yes. My weight loss is on average about 3 lbs/month and that is with me going full throttle. I have learned a lot more about food through MFP and my weight loss is starting to progress faster but again it takes TIME. So please hang on to your goals and see how it is going after a couple of months at least.

As a side note: Have your thyroid levels checked. Mine was underactive which did not allow my metabolism to function properly. Getting that fixed has done wonders.
  • Jladd42
    Jladd42 Posts: 23 Member
    Don't give up! Like the previous poster said, you didn't gain the weight over night, or even in 3 months. You have to be patient. And in all honesty, you might need to eat more to fuel your body. You are doing intense exercise-and you went from being non-active to extremely active. Your body might be going through a shock and trying to hold on to any and all weight because it's wondering what in the heck is going on! When I start weight training, I usually gain 3-4 pounds but within 3 weeks I'm back to losing steadily. Give yourself time. Also, ask yourself, how do you feel? Do you feel better about yourself because you're actually doing something to take charge of your weight? Do you have more energy from the exercise? It's not always about how many pounds you lose in a week, but about the way you feel about yourself. Hang in there, and have faith that you can do this!
  • Some weeks it can seem easy and other weeks not so much....just think of the big picture...you have made a decision to be healthy and active and it takes more than a week or two to make or break that goal. This is long term and will be worth it down the road. In the meantime, give yourself credit for pushing yourself and for making healthy choices...you will start feeling better and you will be happy you pushed yourself:)
  • yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    It's easier to help when we can see your diary.
  • kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    The only thing you need is patience. Two weeks really isn't long enough to know if it's working!
  • For some weight loss is harder than for others. Some people give it there all and lose a pound a month. Others, like myself, eat 1,200 calories a day and the weight comes off quickly. Just keep working hard!
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    maybe because you do the same thing all the time, and eat the same foods, your body is too used to it, so it's comfortable where it is ?? good luck
  • In the past, I used to plateau. I would do everything right, and loose nothing for what seemed forever. It was a good month or 2 (this was a long time ago), but I kept at it, and the next thing I knew, the weight started falling off. Do not give up! You are doing great. If you continue to make positive & permanent changes in your life, it WILL pay off! I stress permanent. That is where I went wrong. I slowly started adding bad foods here & there and within 1 year, I gained almost 100lbs!!! Hang in there, keep up the good work and you will see results soon!!! Best of luck!
  • WhyW8
    WhyW8 Posts: 54 Member
    everything you are doing sounds fantastic. and I wonder how you have time to fit it all in? I'm jealous of your motivation is what I'm saying! my 12 hour days are killing me at work to the point that I logged housecleaning and cooking as my exercise tonight (so lame :( ..maybe you just need more time. don't give up though! sometimes things like peanut butter can add more calories than you think if you are just guessing how much you are using. I truly had no idea what 4 oz. of chicken looked like until I got a food scale and started weighing things. (making your food journal public, while intimidating, will let people give more helpful advice.) there a tons of people on here including doctors, nurses, personal trainers and I'm sure nutritionists and if they read your journal they will comment. Give it another few weeks - if you still are not having any results you could always make your journal public for a day or two and post for people to look at it and give you advice. (you get tired of hearing it or you get the hint...change it back to private!)
  • aaleigha1
    aaleigha1 Posts: 408 Member
    Think of the NSV you are attaining
    your fitness level
    your loss of inches
    and that one is so important
    NO ONE sees the number on the scales only you and maybe medical staff :):) but we all see YOU and you must already look smaller
    so think how you LOOK not what the scales say
    if you didnt have a starting photo take one NOW and take one every month on the same day and you will see amazing body changes

I know the scales seem all important but they really arent important at all
    stick with it I so wish I had better health so I too could exercise like you do :)
  • I agree with others have said all ready, it takes time! I know it's hard to wait but there will defintely be a transitional period. I know that sometimes it can take a week to see the benefits (or not) from the previous week. It might also be that you have added muscle which weights more but in the long run will help you burn off more fat. It might also be the amount of water you are drinking, it might be that your body is just adjusting to all the changes. I would also agree that writing everything down is a must! Particullary making sure it's accurate! Portion control is one of your best friends (and also worst enemy), anything in excess is going to cause more harm. Even you are eating great and healthy foods, if you are eating too much it will not help you lose weight (speaking from experience) For now, my advice would be continue doing what you are doing, continue to notice what your body is telling you, and have fun!
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Think of the NSV you are attaining
    your fitness level
    your loss of inches
    and that one is so important
    NO ONE sees the number on the scales only you and maybe medical staff :):) but we all see YOU and you must already look smaller
    so think how you LOOK not what the scales say
    if you didnt have a starting photo take one NOW and take one every month on the same day and you will see amazing body changes

I know the scales seem all important but they really arent important at all
    stick with it I so wish I had better health so I too could exercise like you do :)

This is exactly what you should be looking at! You might not have lost a lot of mass, but think about how the shape and composition of your body is changing. I was having one of those days when I jumped off the scales angry with myself for not losing weight, but got dressed as usual and did my belt up to a loophole I haven't used before - without even realising it...

Scales are one thing, but dont let the numbers rule your life. The REALLY important things are how you are feeling about yourself, are you looking and FEELING better? Are you fitter an healthier? It certainly sounds like you are, so don't lose sight of the big picture by being overly concerned with numbers on a scale!