What is P90/P90X

Options
I've seen a few people here talk about it and my husband friend talks about it. What is it and does it work well?

Replies

• Nlongenecker
    Options
    I've seen a few people here talk about it and my husband friend talks about it. What is it and does it work well?
  • tmbish82
    Options
    from what i have seen on the info-mercials it is a very intense series of workouts to sculpt your body! definitely not for the faint of heart and it doesn't look like its for beginners either. i guess i would put it more in the category of weight training and sculpting. go to beachbody.com to check it out.
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    P90 is the original bootcamp type workouts done by Tony Horton. They are great, 30-45 min workouts that include cardio and weight training (including pushups) and ab work. It is great for people that are just wanting to get into some weight training and getting into shape.

P90X is the EXTREME version including pullups, lots of varying pushups, weight training, Plyometrics (jump training cardio), Kenpo (martial arts type cardio), etc. It is an awesome in home workout that will get you in the best shape of your life! I have been using it for going on 2 years now and have made a total transformation in how my body looks. I can do full pullups now, tons of pushups, and have strength that I never imagined! My dh uses P90X also and has lost about 17# now and looks great!

Send me a message if you have any more questions!

Jess
  • Nlongenecker
    Options
    P90 is the original bootcamp type workouts done by Tony Horton. They are great, 30-45 min workouts that include cardio and weight training (including pushups) and ab work. It is great for people that are just wanting to get into some weight training and getting into shape.

P90X is the EXTREME version including pullups, lots of varying pushups, weight training, Plyometrics (jump training cardio), Kenpo (martial arts type cardio), etc. It is an awesome in home workout that will get you in the best shape of your life! I have been using it for going on 2 years now and have made a total transformation in how my body looks. I can do full pullups now, tons of pushups, and have strength that I never imagined! My dh uses P90X also and has lost about 17# now and looks great!

Send me a message if you have any more questions!

Jess

My husband and I have been talking about getting a Bowflex or other home gym system. Do you think this P90 is better? How much is it? And you said you've been doing it two years, how often a week do you do it? Do you ever get sick of the same old thing?
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    My husband and I have been talking about getting a Bowflex or other home gym system. Do you think this P90 is better? How much is it? And you said you've been doing it two years, how often a week do you do it? Do you ever get sick of the same old thing?

I think P90X is great because you can use it in a lot of different ways. It's the only program that my dh has ever stuck to! There are different ways to use it- they give you 3 variations in the manual (Classic, Lean, or doubles version). It is laid out for 6 days a week of workouts, but since I am a runner also, after I had done the program I would use the weighted workouts like the suggested 3 days a week and add in my running for cardio.

Right now I am trying out the latest BB program, ChaLean Extreme. But I will go back to P90X and still use the Ab Ripper and do some pullups just because I love it!

I have 2 friends that have a Bowflex. They started out using it for a month or so, and now it's been sitting in their basements taking up space for a couple years. I guess it depends on if you (or your dh) think that you will use it or not!

Jess
  • cjbranson
    cjbranson Posts: 121
    Options
    I've just started using P90X for the first time. I'm actually just on day 11. I had borrowed the Cardio X DVD from a friend of mine just to see what it was and quickly found out this was the real deal. I would suggest researching online about it... there's tons of info. There is also a lot of regular people out there who have blogged or posted before and after pics that are really inspiring. My husband is doing it with me and we both love it. Also, we are both following the nutrition plan which is set in 3 stages. We're on the first which is called Fat Shredder. Don't you love that?! It tells you exactly how many carbs, proteins, fats, dairy... etc. to have and it even gives you recipes and menus for every day. My DH and I use the list of foods though and mix it up. So far I've lost 6lbs and I tell you what, I feel like I'm eating way too much!!! I have to choke down all the food I need to eat.

Anyway, my DH and I have blogged about it so if you want to see what it's like everyday from people going through it for the fist time, check out our blogs.

www.branson90x.blogspot.com (my DH :heart: )
    www.christinabranson.blogspot.com (me:flowerforyou: )

Comment or ask questions... we'd love to hear from you!

~Christina
  • Nlongenecker
    Options
    I've just started using P90X for the first time. I'm actually just on day 11. I had borrowed the Cardio X DVD from a friend of mine just to see what it was and quickly found out this was the real deal. I would suggest researching online about it... there's tons of info. There is also a lot of regular people out there who have blogged or posted before and after pics that are really inspiring. My husband is doing it with me and we both love it. Also, we are both following the nutrition plan which is set in 3 stages. We're on the first which is called Fat Shredder. Don't you love that?! It tells you exactly how many carbs, proteins, fats, dairy... etc. to have and it even gives you recipes and menus for every day. My DH and I use the list of foods though and mix it up. So far I've lost 6lbs and I tell you what, I feel like I'm eating way too much!!! I have to choke down all the food I need to eat.

Anyway, my DH and I have blogged about it so if you want to see what it's like everyday from people going through it for the fist time, check out our blogs.

www.branson90x.blogspot.com (my DH :heart: )
    www.christinabranson.blogspot.com (me:flowerforyou: )

Would you say this is for beginners to exercise or something to try down the road?
    Comment or ask questions... we'd love to hear from you!

~Christina
  • cjbranson
    Options
    From what I've seen, there have been people who start this that are on both ends of the spectrum. Some are already relatively fit and some have never done much exercising at all. I used to be somewhat of an athlete (mainly basketball) many moons ago... ha ha! I have an athletic build and have worked out off and on through the years but have never reached my goals:frown: . My husband was a super athlete in his teens and early twenties but I would say he hadn't exercised AT ALL in like 14 years. We both seem to be handling it well so I would just say that each individual would know best if they think they could handle such an intense program. I would say go for it!

There is a fitness test that you take before you start and they do have minimums they would like to see you at.

Are you considering this program?
  • Power
    Power Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I am starting this tonight... I'm going to find 90 days of pain... and maybe a former self, along the way

I have done 4 or 5 of the DVDs to see what they are like. I could not pass the fitness test, so I don't always make it through the disk... ok I have NEVER made it through a disk hehe

But I will! I think we all know when we are getting a good workout and these definitely do it. They are all about being fit... not musclebound, not a super-skinny marathon runner... FIT. I would challenge an athlete on either end of the spectrum (big and strong, skinny with endurance) to do these and not say, "Wow!"

Give it a shot. It might be expensive with a corny infomercial, but it is no gimmick.
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    I am starting this tonight... I'm going to find 90 days of pain... and maybe a former self, along the way

I have done 4 or 5 of the DVDs to see what they are like. I could not pass the fitness test, so I don't always make it through the disk... ok I have NEVER made it through a disk hehe

But I will! I think we all know when we are getting a good workout and these definitely do it. They are all about being fit... not musclebound, not a super-skinny marathon runner... FIT. I would challenge an athlete on either end of the spectrum (big and strong, skinny with endurance) to do these and not say, "Wow!"

Give it a shot. It might be expensive with a corny infomercial, but it is no gimmick.

Good for you!! 90 days of pain... :laugh: You are right, it gets you FIT!! It worked for me. :bigsmile:
  • Nlongenecker
    Options
    From what I've seen, there have been people who start this that are on both ends of the spectrum. Some are already relatively fit and some have never done much exercising at all. I used to be somewhat of an athlete (mainly basketball) many moons ago... ha ha! I have an athletic build and have worked out off and on through the years but have never reached my goals:frown: . My husband was a super athlete in his teens and early twenties but I would say he hadn't exercised AT ALL in like 14 years. We both seem to be handling it well so I would just say that each individual would know best if they think they could handle such an intense program. I would say go for it!

There is a fitness test that you take before you start and they do have minimums they would like to see you at.

Are you considering this program?

I'm thinking about it. The problem is, I have a hard time finding 1 hour straight of time to workout. I can do two 30 min. (or 20 and 40) but my schedule is packed and I try to break it up in smaller amounts. Plus it kind of intimidates me. Yesterday I got Jillian Michaels' 30 Day Shred from Netflix. So far I did it yesterday and this morning. And it was ROUGH! I had to take a couple breathers and it's only 20 min long. Maybe P90X is something I can shoot for as my endurance gets better.
  • cjbranson
    Options
    I understand about a busy schedule! I just encourage you to stick with something, get some exercise in, and eat healthy. You've obviously made a decision to improve your health and I think that's awesome! Good luck and we'll be here to support you!:happy:
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    I'm thinking about it. The problem is, I have a hard time finding 1 hour straight of time to workout. I can do two 30 min. (or 20 and 40) but my schedule is packed and I try to break it up in smaller amounts. Plus it kind of intimidates me. Yesterday I got Jillian Michaels' 30 Day Shred from Netflix. So far I did it yesterday and this morning. And it was ROUGH! I had to take a couple breathers and it's only 20 min long. Maybe P90X is something I can shoot for as my endurance gets better.

Another great option that is new from Beachbody is the ChaLean Extreme program. The workouts are shorter (35-45 min for most of them) but still really intense! Chalene is the creator of Turbo Jam and she is really motivational and the workouts are awesome!!

Jess
  • Nlongenecker
    Options

Another great option that is new from Beachbody is the ChaLean Extreme program. The workouts are shorter (35-45 min for most of them) but still really intense! Chalene is the creator of Turbo Jam and she is really motivational and the workouts are awesome!!

Jess

Is ChaLean like martial arts or kickboxing?
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    Is ChaLean like martial arts or kickboxing?

It is a strength and cardio program that teaches you to lift heavier weights and burn fat! It is FUN too! It comes with 3 months of DVD's that you use for the 3 phases, the Burn phase first, then the Push phase, then the Lean phase. It is working great for me! I'm on week 5 now and seeing some more changes in my shoulders & abs!! :bigsmile: Love that! Let me know if you have more questions about it!

Jess
  • Nlongenecker
    Options
    OK, another question about this topic. To start should I spend my money on Power90 or P90X. I'd say I'm at a beginner level for exercise and my husband does physical labor for his work. We just don't know which direction to go to fit both our needs.
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    OK, another question about this topic. To start should I spend my money on Power90 or P90X. I'd say I'm at a beginner level for exercise and my husband does physical labor for his work. We just don't know which direction to go to fit both our needs.

I think P90 is a great way to get started. It is not as intense as P90X, but still good workouts- pushups, weight training, cardio, abs. The workouts are a bit shorter also, about 35-45 min (P90X are pretty much all an hour long).

Let me know if you have more questions!

Jess