How often can I treat myself?

Options
I've been following a low fat diet since 1st Jan and whilst its still early days I cant help craving certain things like proper curry (I've been making low fat versions) and cake and...oh god so many things !:laugh:

Anyway, my hubby and I have agreed to a proper treat once a month at the end of the month but this still seems a little draconian. How often do other members have a little treat?

I know it seems like a stupid and very subjective question, but i just like to hear how others deal with it.

Ta!

x:flowerforyou:

Replies

• DaisyJane
    DaisyJane Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I've been following a low fat diet since 1st Jan and whilst its still early days I cant help craving certain things like proper curry (I've been making low fat versions) and cake and...oh god so many things !:laugh:

Anyway, my hubby and I have agreed to a proper treat once a month at the end of the month but this still seems a little draconian. How often do other members have a little treat?

I know it seems like a stupid and very subjective question, but i just like to hear how others deal with it.

Ta!

x:flowerforyou:
  • MrsTomy
    MrsTomy Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    To have a guilt free treat you can to an intense workout today, making room for you to have your favorite food without cheating! I had two pieces of pizza yesterday for lunch...but it wasn't cheating because I exercised and was still okay on calories!

If not, I deffinately think splurging once a month wont kill your diet! Good luck!
  • gnicolecan
    gnicolecan Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I indulge in one "special" meal per week. I dont use this time to go completely crazy, but just to have Mexican, or a few pieces of pizza and ice cream or etc. This helps me avoid binges and gives me something to look forward to.
    I also make sure I have a really good workout that day!
  • DaisyJane
    DaisyJane Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Thanks, thats good to know! I reckon that without little rewards now and then i could get a bit resentful and that would spell disaster for the old lifestyle change....
  • Renae_Nae
    Renae_Nae Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I do "maintenance" calories one day a week. That way I can really re-fuel, I don't hit plateaus, I'm not scared of "un-doing all my hard work" and I can get those cravings in.
  • dkell
    dkell Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I try to think of food that is in the calorie range as a treat. In other words I think that as I am doing what I want to do for myself it is a treat. When I get a craving for pizza I make my pizza with:
    1 Low fat tortilla
    pizza sause
    low fat cheese
    turkey peperoni
    red bell pepper chopped
    onions chopped
    put it together like a pizza. Bake it untill cheese is melty and the tortilla is golden brown and I treat myself.
    When it is something sweet. I eat a sugar free pudding cup. etc
    Therefore I treat myself all the time.:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :happy: :happy:
  • iftcheiaf
    iftcheiaf Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Am I the only person that had to look up draconian?

30.gif

Hey, I learned a new word today. Thanks.
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Treat yourself as often as you want but you have to make choices. Have your treat but you have to stay within your calories ( or at least within your maintanence calories).

If I decide I want a slice of pie, I have it. I just have to reduce my calories that day somewhere else or I have to exercise more to make up for it.

Sometimes that works to help me resist the pie. Simply because I think it's too expensive for my calorie bank. And, sometimes, it's just worth it to have pie.
  • Phoenixflame
    Phoenixflame Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    LOL, I have treats everyday.

See, I'm the kind of person that if you give me an inch, I take the whole damn Sudetenland. Tell me "it's ok, one cheat meal!" and yiiikes.

But small daily treats I do easily. These are little things that are satisfying and keep me from craving things. For example, I made a sugar-free cherry pie the other day, with a FiberOne crust. It has only 90 calories a slice. That, to me, is a satisfying treat--especially topped with a dollop of Cool Whip Free.

Other little treats:
    - Baked apple with Splenda (100 calories)
    - 1/2 cup Dryers ice cream (90-120 calories)
    - Homemade muffins (90-100 calories)
    - Starbucks Mocha Frappe Light (110-140 calories)

However, I try to maintain one key: it must have some sort of small nutritional value. The pie has fiber and fruit, as do the apples and muffins. Dryers ice cream and Starbucks have a surprising amount of calcium.

So while I might have sweet treats, you won't see me reaching for those 100 calorie Little Debbies. I want sweet real food, not a sweetened chemistry set.