NSF (Non Scale Failure) or why well fitting clothes matter!

Options
Gail3260
Gail3260 Posts: 354 Member
Bear with me here.......

In June I had to buy a couple of new smart dresses for work as I'd gained weight and none of the ones I had fit any more.

I bought two online both a UK size 16, slightly different styles. The linen one looked really good despite my weight gain because it fit absolutely perfectly all over. The pink one I could get into but it was too tight to sit down. I didn't send it back because I was working up the willpower to start my weight loss journey.

As we're having some unseasonal warm weather I got the linen one out to wear for the first time in weeks. Having lost 10lbs I thought I'd see how the pink one felt first. So it's still too tight to wear but it certainly won't be for much longer and it did look quite good.

So in a very happy frame of mind I put the linen one on expecting it to look great.....WRONG!! It looked awful because it no longer fits perfectly. It isn't actually too big as such, it just doesn't look right any more. So the Non Scales Failure is that I don't have a dress for work that fits.....but I can live with that!

The moral is this and I see lots of posts from people who have lost similar amounts of weight but say they can't see any difference. You may not have lost enough to drop a size but your clothes may not fit properly and ill-fitting clothes can make you look awful whatever size or shape you are.!!!

Replies

• LouLouUK
    LouLouUK Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Great post! This is so true. I love trying on a top or a pair of jeans that didn't fit all that great then a few weeks later they fit just perfect!! I very rarely weigh myself so the fit of my clothes is my guide a lot of the time! :)
  • tkb1985
    tkb1985 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    You may not have lost enough to drop a size but your clothes may not fit properly and ill-fitting clothes can make you look awful whatever size or shape you are.!!!

Yup, that pretty much describes my wardrobe! :grumble:
  • SunshineAndLove
    SunshineAndLove Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Very true, I've had to get rid of a load of clothes because they were so big on me and just looked ridiculous!

You'll get there, imagine how you'll feel when your pink dress fits perfectly - a good incentive if ever there was one!

Good luck :-)
  • Tabbi_RN
    Options
    Great post!! I couldnt agree more! If the clothes dont fit properly it doesnt matter what size you are. Ive also experienced (in my many years of yo yo dieting) that i dont gain and lose weight in the same spots in the same way. For example: awhile back at 175lbs I could wear a size 10 jeans, I gained 15lbs. then lost it, ending back at 175lbs. But this time i could no longer fit into size 10 jeans. the weight distribution had changed my shape. same has gone for some tops, dresses, jackets, etc. i hate that so much!! all the more reason to stay committed to this lifestyle change :tongue: and ditch the yo yo!
  • Violin11
    Violin11 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    This is a great story and reminder. I'm in the same spot right now so I know how you feel. I am sorry your linen dress doesn't fit now, but it will be great to fit into the pink dress!
  • Regmama
    Regmama Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Wow, sounds like my relationship with cargo pants and cargo capri's. I can try them on four sizes larger than my size and they still don't fit me right.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!