I'm addicted

Options
I have put my back out now for over a week and I'm going mental I can't do anything exercise wise and it is killing me, I never thought I would be grumpy for not going out on my bike, moaning at my partner because I can't go to the gym and just a right whinge to be around. Any one else had this or am I just a freak as I've been called by my other half.

Replies

• trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    no your a freak lol :noway:

no your not,i have to exersice EVERYDAY yes even xmas day i was out walking in th snow looking like a freak also! :sad:
    i do know how you are feeling i have to get 2 ops done on my hips and will be totally out of acion for months grrr i really don't know what i am going to do....
    so a speedy recovery for ya xxxx :flowerforyou:
  • sandislim
    Options
    I have a herniated disc and I've put it out many times and have recovered many times. How bad is it - are you able to walk?
    When I've done mine bad I walk a great deal and use 'miracle balls' for relaxation it really works coupled with painkillers and I'm back to exercising within a couple of weeks or so but it honestly depends on how badly I've done it.

(ps I can't stand not being able to exercise!)
  • CoachNYLA
    Options
    I totally get it...my back went out big time right before a show (competition) and I thought I was going to have to sit it out. It was driving me nuts.

I had to ice and stretch and work on something to keep me engaged.

You are not alone. I had a very patient partner and God love her.
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I threw my back out in july (stil in PT) but doing a LOT better...I wasn't aloud to exercise for weeks.......you would have thought someone took away my birthday!! Yes, once you get into a routine with working out, coming to an extreme halt made me cranky too!!
  • alright_flower
    Options
    Wouldn't say I'm addicted :-) but I've hurt my back too and have missed/will miss yoga and two sessions of aqua this week - very disappointed!! I've got some exercises (it's a recurrent problem) but if they don't work I'll go and see my osteopath early next week. She puts me right in around 30 minutes!

Good luck with recovering.
  • karmajules
    karmajules Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    No, you aren't a freak. It is a well known side effect of a physical injury. You really will get back to it soon, honestly, but before you do you will experience a whole range of emotions. I know it sounds really girlie, but try some meditation and visualisation of you actually doing your sport. - running through your workout. They have proved that even thinking about it activates the muscles etc., and can benefit the body. The top athletes all use these techniques. I have worked with people with sports injuries and these emotions can be really very difficult to deal with. Make sure your nutrition is 100% and look for some short term vits to give you and your body a real boost. Dont be too hard on yourself, just look how far you have come and know that you will be getting back on track really soon.

Is there anything you can do? eg Pilates, swimming pool (just walking in the water - beware certain strokes and bad backs)?

I must admit that activity/exercise really helps me get my mind clear from stuff that is going on in my life. Unfortunately, after 60 mins on rowing machine yesterday - I have been left with some serious blisters on my bum - so no rowing for me today. Consequently, I decided to eat instead, very bad move! Siting here at the moment, planning ways to reclaim today and this week, exercise is the key - I am looking for something I can do.

Good luck, it really wont take quite as long as you think - promise. Just dont overdo it.

Jxx
  • Ezwoldo
    Ezwoldo Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I have manged to start riding again but nowhere near what I would call a work out more like a pre warm up, this helps as it seems to free up the back. I have to stretch 3 or 4 times a day with a triger point roller which is helping, but what is not helping is having to work and being stuck in a chair for hours at a time. I have tried to move more often but, I get stuck in the chair, I was off yesterday and I had no problems with it so I think it's seizing up when not moving. I hope I can get back for the weekend as I have my last race of the year and really want to put up a good performance, I may just risk it.
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    I get it. Over the last couple of years I've had a pulled calf muscle where I could hardly walk for 2 weeks, bad back pain making almost anything unpleasant and now stress fractures in my legs, reducing my options and mobility.

It sucks, but you get better... though I've observed that something else goes wrong shortly after :(

The trick is to avoid getting injured in the first place - work out, be active, but don't over do it.

The old saying "no pain no gain" is utter bollox - pain is your body telling you to stop. Sadly, I don't always listen and seem to spend more time carrying an injury than doing any good....

Grumble/whinge/mumble/grrr, etc :-)
  • karmajules
    karmajules Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Absolutely agree with Goron, listen to your body. Sounds like you are doing all the right things - dont push it too much

Good luck

Jxx
  • sandislim
    Options
    I have manged to start riding again but nowhere near what I would call a work out more like a pre warm up, this helps as it seems to free up the back. I have to stretch 3 or 4 times a day with a triger point roller which is helping, but what is not helping is having to work and being stuck in a chair for hours at a time. I have tried to move more often but, I get stuck in the chair, I was off yesterday and I had no problems with it so I think it's seizing up when not moving. I hope I can get back for the weekend as I have my last race of the year and really want to put up a good performance, I may just risk it.

sitting for long periods of time irritates me too. I have one of those wobble cushions which keeps you moving but I don't use it because its pretty uncomfortable. A gym ball would be great to sit but then not good for the work place. Can you have a standing desk? Or possible stand up every few minutes to give your back a break? Or you could get one of those ergonomic chairs - but I have no real experience with them so I'm not sure if they work.