Why doesn't the stinking scale move?

Options
I know better than to step on the scale…but I do it anyways. I record my weight every Sunday.

I have been doing a boot camp for over the past three weeks at 5AM, then at night I usually walk/run 2 miles, I put in 3 on the weekend, and lift weights (smaller dumbbells about 10lbs) for about 3 days a week.

I have lost about 2 inches on my waist and I have taken pictures to show my progress and while all of this is showing change…the scale is barely moving. And then I gained two pounds…like I said I know better than to weight every morning, but that number reminds how I got in this place in the first place.

Am I retaining water due to the exercise? I just thought by week three the scale would be moving. Am I working to hard?

Replies

• geekymom57
    geekymom57 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Ignore the weight gain! As long as you are taking in fewer calories than you need to maintain your weight, you can't gain actual weight. (Well, I suppose barring some unusual metabolic condition.) I have learned that my weight seems to be completely arbitrary and has significant variation from day to day and during the day. It's not unusual for my weight to vary by 5 pounds over the course of the day.

If you're losing inches then something IS changing/working. Weight is only factor to be considering.
  • sfinsterys
    sfinsterys Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I don't know what your physical condition was before you started your boot camp - if you are adding a lot of muscle then it's possible to lose inches but still gain a little weight. The good thing is that muscle burns more weight than fat. :)

2 pounds in a day is just salt or something you ate, though. I weigh myself every morning but I don't pay attention to a fluctuation up or down until it appears 3 days in a row.
  • hamiltonba
    hamiltonba Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    My friend went through the same thing. Luckily, she had an assessment done by the gym in the beginning of this journey and then months later. It turned out that she had lost 8lbs of fat and gained 5 lbs of muscle! Once she heard that, she was thrilled!
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I took a look at your diary and it seems your net calorie consumption is consistently UNDER 1200 calories a day. There's a very good chance you are not eating enough and your body is holding onto the weight because it thinks it is starving. In my non-professional opinion, I think 1200 calories is too low for any woman. Try adjusting your weight loss goal to lose 1/2 or 1 lb a week and eat as close to your goal as possible AND eat most of your exercise calories. Guarantee you'll see results!