Bento Lunches?

Options
2»

Replies

• martinbeks
    martinbeks Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I was reading a blog a few years ago when I first discovered bento lunch boxes (Vegan Lunch Box by Jennifer...can't think of her last name, but her nickname for her son was "Schmoo" if anyone knows who I'm talking about). I actually bought a Laptop Lunchbox on amazon for me and one for my sister's birthday for portion control. I love it, though I don't use it as often as I should. I really need to start using it again. I loved it. Just enough.
  • ebonaskavi
    ebonaskavi Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    BTW, where did you get that little bottle that is in the Spanish rice with beans and turkey sausage, salad with cucumber and cheese flowers, picture?

It's a pig shape and is awesome for salad dressing, soy sauce and the like. I think it holds a little over a tsp... and amazon, because it is where I buy everything XD

http://www.amazon.com/Sauce-Container-Piggy-Square-Bottle/dp/B002TZ04FK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1317240608&sr=8-1
  • BrewerGeorge
    BrewerGeorge Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Those look AWESOME!
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    Yep I love my bento boxes, and my onigiri holders. Got the sandwich cutters and the soy sauce holders too, plus the little paper food separaters. So much fun involved in making a bento!
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Love this idea, bumping for later!

Can I have your recipe for the Greek burger??
  • Riverofbeauty
    Riverofbeauty Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I looove bento lunches! Never thought about using the silicone muffin liners though - great idea!

I'm going back to Japan for a holiday in a couple of months (lived there for a year 10 years ago), and a bento lunchbox is definitely on my to get list!
  • quiningqualia
    Options
    That's a brilliant idea~ I generally eat pretty healthily but my portions are excessive, especially at dinner. Making it fit in bento box sounds like an easy way to solve that problem! Also, thanks to the ladies who put up websites for easy bento-sized lunches.
  • ebonaskavi
    Options
    Love this idea, bumping for later!

Can I have your recipe for the Greek burger??

Sure! Serves 4

1 lb lean ground turkey
    1 container crumbled feta cheese
    1 tsp dried dill
    1 tsp oregano
    pinch salt and pepper

Mix all the ingredients and form into four patties. I "grilled" them on my non-stick grill pan about 4 minutes on either side over med-high heat. I stuck a meat thermometer in to check the temperature.

The feta makes these really good! I served with tzaziki sauce which is plain greek yogurt (I bought a single serving of the dasani kind, so about half a cup) a quarter cup seeded, peeled chopped cucumber, a tsp lemon juice, and some dill plus a little salt to taste. its best if this can sit and let the flavors meld. My husband really liked these (He ate three in a sitting...)
  • rachemn
    rachemn Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Oh those greek burgers sound amazing! Can't wait to try them out. Looks like a trip to the grocery store for me tonight and I'll be adding these to the list. Thank you!
  • Sheeshy
    Sheeshy Posts: 133
    Options
    I've been thinking about it. I think I will. :)
  • slavaheroyam
    Options
    Very cute! I recently bought this tupperware set in the shape of a matryoshka.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Store-Ms-Matryoshka-Russian-tupperware/dp/B0057X31YW

While I must say I've grown to really like carrying my meals prepacked, I would really like to start decorating it more. :)
    Also those Greek burgers sound delicious!
  • runninggirl262
    runninggirl262 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Great Post, just bought 3. One for me, one for my sister, and one just because. I bring my lunch to work. This is great for portion control.
  • lisamc03
    lisamc03 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Your lunches look beautiful and I love that piggy container!

For those with a Whole Foods in their area, they sell bento boxes. They also have a neat info sheet of how to balance your bento with protein, healthy fat, grains, etc:
    https://blog.wholefoodsmarket.com/products/wholedeal/bento.pdf
  • stephyy4632
    stephyy4632 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I love bento :) I do them often for my Daughter`s lunches at school (she`s in first grade so I like to make them fun for her). I do on occasion make up one for myself and my younger daughter but we are home everyday so I don`t pack ahead for us very often just for when we want to eat at the park or days like that.
  • ebonaskavi
    Options
    Thank you all for the links! I use www.justbento.com as one of my resources (I also own their cook book). I try to make mine colorful and fun to look at because when they're fun to make and decorate it's a motivation to keep making them.
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    bumping again, thanks for the recipe on the burgers. I am hitting Amazon right now!