A weight lifted from my shoulders

GTOgirl1969
GTOgirl1969 Posts: 2,527 Member
My stepson has officially moved out. I wish I could say that I am sad to see him go, but he has caused so many problems between his dad and I, and he has been in so much trouble with no signs of stopping, that I am honestly relieved. I hope y'all don't think I'm the wicked stepmother because of that, but if you were a fly on the wall in my house during the last few months, you'd understand completely how I feel.

A lot of the disputes my husband and I have had lately have been about his son (in one way or another) and since he has been gone, the stress level in our house has gone down drastically. I hope the young man (not going to call him a kid anymore because he's not) can get out on his own and get his crap together. Maybe he will value his freedom and his possessions a little more when HE is the one who has to take care of them.

Sorry about the rambling post:ohwell:

Replies

• GTOgirl1969
    My stepson has officially moved out. I wish I could say that I am sad to see him go, but he has caused so many problems between his dad and I, and he has been in so much trouble with no signs of stopping, that I am honestly relieved. I hope y'all don't think I'm the wicked stepmother because of that, but if you were a fly on the wall in my house during the last few months, you'd understand completely how I feel.

A lot of the disputes my husband and I have had lately have been about his son (in one way or another) and since he has been gone, the stress level in our house has gone down drastically. I hope the young man (not going to call him a kid anymore because he's not) can get out on his own and get his crap together. Maybe he will value his freedom and his possessions a little more when HE is the one who has to take care of them.

Sorry about the rambling post:ohwell:
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    I can understand that. There are a LOT of drug problems and stuff with the teenagers in my family lately...Rx drugs and even heroin. I wouldn't want that in my house either. How old was your stepson? I moved out when I was 18 for college but never really moved back in LOL. It has really improved my relationship with my parents...I understand why they raised me how they did (sort of laissez faire) and they offer to help me out a lot now that they see I truly am responsible.
  • GTOgirl1969
    He's 18 now. When I was growing up, everyone said that 18 is time to leave the nest and strike out on your own, so that's what I have always believed. I am sorry to admit that he has had a drug problem (both prescription and street drugs) and more than a few brushes with the law (he spent 11 days in jail on a B&E charge, and I thought that would scare him straight). I sometimes felt as if I was being a hypocrite because I haven't exactly been a saint in those aspects of life, either, but you always want your kids (or stepkids) to have it better than you did.
  • mrhappy
    mrhappy Posts: 145 Member
    I know exactly how you feel... a step son or daughter can be a blessing (hey, my step daughter gave me the most beautiful granddaughter in the world!!!) but jeez - those step sons...

No, you are not the wicked witch; you're trying to build a life and a relationship with your husband and the confusion of a step child gone awry does not help. In time, you'll have a better relationship with him too, but for now its enough that you can concentrate on your life.

Congrats GTO...

:wink:
  • Jackie_W
    Jackie_W Posts: 1,676 Member
    You are not the wicked stepmother, you've been through hell and back, now's the time for you and hubby to get back on track without all the unnecessary stress :flowerforyou:
    Look after yourself and enjoy the peace that your home now has to offer you.