Getting a House!

Options
So my husband and I will have the chance to move into his old family house before long. The house is kinda run down, needs some love. New sub floor, new carpet, new roofing, basically lotsa TLC....

We would not have to pay rent but that money would be going to fixing up the house.

We do have family members that would be helping us, handy man type people. Guys who know how to roof, guys who know how to work with lumber, guys who know who to do plumbing and all that fun stuff.

My thing is...I am just scared and nervous about the idea of having a run down house and me personally not knowing what to do. I mean we would have about $500-$600 a month to fix things. Not really alot when house stuff can cost a bunch...but every little bit helps right???

Replies

• Falling_star
    Falling_star Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    you find u manage when you are in the situation i did. :-)
  • BattyMama
    BattyMama Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I know how to do a number of things because I grew up in a house where dad was not there and we needed to make repairs the library was a big help in looking up books. I know it can get daunting but you can do it have faith in your self!
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    How exciting - congratulations! It can be scary being a homeowner. It's great that you'll money every month to fix things up. Keep in mind that to replace a roof, you're looking at upward of $10,000 and you'll have to pay it in one fell swoop. You'll still need to get a loan or have a line of credit to pay for it unless you have that kind of money in savings. Also plan for your major appliances needing repair or dying at some point. Learn how to fix these kinds of things yourself. I saved myself at least $100 by replacing my baking element in the oven myself. My husband was quite impressed too! Just be sure you're putting money into savings for unexpected (and often expensive) repairs. Have fun!
  • lor007
    lor007 Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    ...but every little bit helps right???

I don't know anything about fixing up houses, but I am sure this statement is correct!

Good luck, I know a lot of people move into fixer-uppers and manage just fine. :flowerforyou:
  • cassiopeia1975
    Options
    You are getting my DREAM!!!

i would love to do up an old house.

we live in a 1930's semi which i wouldnt say is run down but in the last few years ive made improvements --new bathroom, fitted wardrobes garden overhaul and general decoration. And were about to have a new kitchen.

Theres nothing like the transformation you can make and i love the fact that im turning this house into my home.

:)
  • CoachNYLA
    Options
    So my husband and I will have the chance to move into his old family house before long. The house is kinda run down, needs some love. New sub floor, new carpet, new roofing, basically lotsa TLC....

We would not have to pay rent but that money would be going to fixing up the house.

We do have family members that would be helping us, handy man type people. Guys who know how to roof, guys who know how to work with lumber, guys who know who to do plumbing and all that fun stuff.

My thing is...I am just scared and nervous about the idea of having a run down house and me personally not knowing what to do. I mean we would have about $500-$600 a month to fix things. Not really alot when house stuff can cost a bunch...but every little bit helps right???

That is exciting though. To make it like your own. I can't wait until we buy our house. Happy decorating
  • ElizabethObviously
    Options
    Well I dont think it is the entire roof! And the nice thing is we have people in our family, brothers, brother in law, father, mother, who all know how to do handy work, including roofing!

Because honestly there is no way we could afford 10,000 for a roof!
  • kysassyblonde1
    Options
    Dont know where you live or how big the house is but it also depends on that and the cost of living. We had to put a roof on a few yrs ago and our home is only 1700sq feet and materiels and labor was only $3000 and they had it done in 2 days. Things are cheaper where I live than it is alot of other places though. Congrats on your house and best wishs to fixing it up...... I love interier decorating and fixing things up myself!!!!!!
  • lupie007
    lupie007 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Just take on one project a month and you'll be done with things before you know it. Congrats!!!! Very happy for you both!
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    you can hire professionals and do a lot of the labor yourself to save money. They have ALL KINDS of DIY shows & websites now - HOME DEPOT even has free classes! omg you can practice ragging on your walls and put in designer bathrooms ...
    You're young - have fun with it and it will be a home for your family

We have to go outside our comfort zone in order to grow as individuals. This is a growth opportunity

Best of luck!
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I'm jealous! :flowerforyou: