What to do at home?

Options
I'm trying to get back into the swing of things and I need some advice as to things that I can do from home. I'm starting to run evry night with my dog, though my body isn't quite allowing me to run as far as my mind would like, I think eventually it will catch up. But in the meantime, what are some other things that people find work for them when they need to do things from home?

Replies

• tparkin
    tparkin Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to get back into the swing of things and I need some advice as to things that I can do from home. I'm starting to run evry night with my dog, though my body isn't quite allowing me to run as far as my mind would like, I think eventually it will catch up. But in the meantime, what are some other things that people find work for them when they need to do things from home?
  • renae77
    renae77 Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Do you have any exercise videos? Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred is really good. You can try that one. Or you can go to Sparkpeople.com and see what kinds of exercises and workouts you can do at home. There are some good ones on there. Good luck!
  • tparkin
    Options
    I have a couple of pilates vidoes, but I've heard good things about the Jillian DVD before. I'll have to try it. Thank you
  • mandersen16
    Options
    If you have digital cable there is a channel called FitTV. They have a lot of different workouts on there that are a lot of fun!

Also I bought the Slim in 6 videos that I really like too. They start you off gradually as well and you work your way up so easy for anyone to start.

Good luck!!
  • jennlos
    jennlos Posts: 200
    Options
    I have netflix and it not only sends home dvds but you can watch online too. They have alot a workout videos you can use and its great because you can change everyday so that you don't get bored. They also have it where you can display what you want on your t.v. I have also read an article about hula hooping. They said hula hooping for one minute can burn as many calories as running a eight minute mile. They said it can trim up to 2 inches from the body in four weeks. I don't know about you but I would rather hula then run an eight minute mile :happy: Not sure if it actually works I haven't went out and bought one yet but will let you know. good luck Jenn
  • renae77
    renae77 Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Oh and someone on here posted earlier that Netflix has the Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred and other exercise dvds. Something else for you to look into. And someone else said Walmart did have it on sale for $9 or $10.
  • tparkin
    Options
    I'll definately have to check Walmart. Thank you for all the tips!!
  • MisoSoup79
    Options
    If you're not ready to go buy a video yet, you can put circuits together to do at home that require nothing but your own body. For example, if you have half an hour, you can do a 10 minute warm-up by jogging in place or running down the street... then do some lunges, squats, crunches/sit-ups, leg lifts, push-ups, donkey kicks, etc. Just make sure you write down your order before you start so you don't skip anything. You can make a long circuit and just do it once or twice, or if you want to work a specific area, like your legs and glutes, you can do a short circuit with multiple sets.

You can do this in your living room or outside (anywhere, really), and it definitely helps to bring some tunes along!
  • gingermoon
    gingermoon Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    In addition to netflix, fitTV, JM and other dvd's I use a 75cm stability ball and power bands.
    I'm having alot of fun with them and they really are working well.
    I use hand weights and do yoga too.
    I like to mix it up and free style my workouts and all of those items can be used alone or can be used with eachother.
    Cheap, versatile and takes up hardly any space. :flowerforyou:
  • psyknife
    psyknife Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I have just about all of the Beachbody videos.
  • pepamint83
    pepamint83 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    i have a treadmill and stuff at home so i use those in front of the tv but when i dont want to work out i do dance dance revolution (my sister got it for one of her birthdays) you dont feel like your excercising but u sure are doing a workout and feel it afterwards....also my friend just got the wii fit and loves it but i heard it says some comments that arent nice but look into it. i hate excercising and what i find helpful is things that dont feel like excercise and also doing some stuff in front of the tv like dumbells and trampoline....hope that helps
  • michelleisfit
    michelleisfit Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I second trying the 30 day shred! I have been doing all three levels everyday and have seen some major results.
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    I walk, jog, ride my bike, hula hoop, jump rope and dance (never got into exercise videos)

I also own an elliptical, weight bench and a recumbent bike/rowing machine and a yoga ball and use those.

I joined a gym one year and rarely went.... I ALWAYS exercise at home :smile:
  • gnicolecan
    gnicolecan Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I run up and down the stairs at my house A LOT. The dog looks at me like I'm crazy, but hey- who is he to judge!
    Also I print workouts from shape.com and do them from home!