TRUTH

Options
Just my own personal food for thought...
After a year or so of soul searching, I thought I knew myself fairly well. I prided myself on my integrity, honesty and responsible nature; however, my overeating reflected the exact opposite of these values. After breaking many resolutions to myself, starting and stopping countless diets, and continuing to have no control over my eating, I began to doubt my integrity. How could I keep a commitment to everyone I knew and yet break my promises to myself over and over again? It wasn't until in a moment of frustrated clarity I blurted out, "I'm addicted to food!" Finally I experienced my own truth.

I am an addict. I am addicted to food. I use food to fill the gaping black hole within me. I use food to anesthetize my pain. I stuff my face rather than face my stuff.

Working my program has allowed me to see that even though I thought I valued honesty, I was constantly lying to myself about my eating. Becoming a healthy conscience eater has removed the veils of delusion and dishonesty that I had over my eyes. Living my program, one day at a time, freed me from compulsive lying to myself. Telling the truth, while sometimes very difficult, has let me live happy, joyously, and free.

"The truth will set you free, but first it will make you miserable." -James A. Garfield

Replies

• engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    i like the quote in your signature. just remember that. no piece of food is stronger then you.
  • catwrangler
    catwrangler Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    Unlike a drug/alcohol addict we actually have to eat to live. Somehow some of us are wired to live to eat :grumble:
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    I am an addict. I am addicted to food. I use food to fill the gaping black hole within me. I use food to anesthetize my pain. I stuff my face rather than face my stuff.

This was the first step to change and improvement. May you walk proudly and confidently in knowing You have chosen and begun acting to change, improve, continue to better yourself physically and mentally. YOU WILL SUCCEED.

My the footprints you leave to your success be found and followed by the many who follow.
  • BlessedMoon
    BlessedMoon Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I use food to anesthetize my pain. I stuff my face rather than face my stuff.

"The truth will set you free, but first it will make you miserable." -James A. Garfield

So true! Both hit home for me, The times that I tend to lapse are during the toughest moments. Like you said, I need to face my stuff rather than stuff my face. Thank you for that reminder.