Migrains from Sugar/Sweets and Some Carbs

Arynamber
Arynamber Posts: 162 Member
edited October 3 in Food and Nutrition
Just wondering if anyone else gets this?

I use to get migrains ALL the time.. My Dr. INSISTED that it was not migrains but stress.. but he gave me pills with Codine and Caffeine in them.. I would pop those suckers sometimes 5 times per week!

SInce eating healthier.. I got rid of all the candy and sugar and really only eat "good carbs" ones that are low on the glycemic index for the most part... and guess what?!?! NO MIGRAINES! I didnt get the connection until I ate a handful of Sour Patch Kids one day.. and 10 min later INTENSE Migrain! Then again this happened when I had a slice of birthday cake.

I told my Dr. about this and all he said was "thats strange" lol. Im not really sure what to think of it.. Is my body just telling me that sugar/carbs are not good for me? Im not really sure but I know that I have been staying away from such food and feel SO much healthier.. still I would like to know WHY I get migrains from this.

Replies

• lor007
    lor007 Posts: 884 Member
    I get migraines and they are awful. I'm glad you have found something that works for you! :flowerforyou:
  • I hope this happens for me! I am too on Migraine pills. Caffeine codiene butalbitol and aspirin in it!!!
    I pray it happens!!! Thanks for the hope!
  • Quiing
    Quiing Posts: 261 Member
    I agree the connection really is there. The refined sugars and high fructose corn syrup can cause some ugly reactions in the body... I read an article saying that aspartame in diet sodas are known to do it too!
  • killerqueen17
    killerqueen17 Posts: 536 Member
    I get them from certain artificial sweetners... for some reason, clear diet sodas (like diet Sprite) are about guaranteed to give me a terrible headache :P

But some other artificially sweetend things are okay... I haven't quite pinned down exactly what the trigger is yet.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    It could be caused by the rush of insulin your body puts out when you eat sugar.
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Happens to me all the time. They're the worst after like a full sizes chocolate bar
  • I realized not so long ago that a sugar free water flavoring-not Crystal light but Wymer's (I think is the name) game me a headache EVERY SINGLE TIME!!
This discussion has been closed.