how to fit in exercise???

Options
do any of you work? i've been reading sites and it seems that you all have alot of energy for exercise....i work 8+ hours a day, than go home and do supper, clean up and house work. Plus I am involved in Church which takes up more time......HOW DO U FIND TIME FOR THE "E"? I know its very important, but by the end of the day I am shot. Mornings are not my best time so "E" is out than......any suggestions from busy working people would be appreciated. thanks

Replies

• yooperme
    yooperme Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    do any of you work? i've been reading sites and it seems that you all have alot of energy for exercise....i work 8+ hours a day, than go home and do supper, clean up and house work. Plus I am involved in Church which takes up more time......HOW DO U FIND TIME FOR THE "E"? I know its very important, but by the end of the day I am shot. Mornings are not my best time so "E" is out than......any suggestions from busy working people would be appreciated. thanks
  • genabug
    genabug Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    I totally understand your situation! I get up at 4:30am, get to work for 6, work a 10 hr day,sit in traffic an hour to get home. Check HW for my 9yr old,feed my 5 mth old, cook supper,relax a min and play with the little ones, then bathe and feed lil one, and get her to bed.By then its too late to exercise! So the only "E" I get is I try to dance around the house during play time, and I do lunges up and down the hallway when I go back and forth! But other then that, I don't have time ubtil my off days, then I consider housework and shopping as my "E"!
  • yooperme
    Options
    I hope I didn't sound snotty, just don't know how some do it. I guess I should beable to find 30 minutes if just for a walk, but some days its just so darn hard......you keep up the playing with kids, they grow up way too fast.......thanks
  • heartshapdworld
    heartshapdworld Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Can you "schedule" it in? For example, if you work from 9a-6p, then can you go to the gym from 6.30p-7.15p on your way home?

It has to be a routine for me - a part of my work day - for it to work.

A lot of others seem to use and get results from DVDs. (I am not a DVD person myself) Good Luck
  • genabug
    genabug Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    I hope I didn't sound snotty, just don't know how some do it. I guess I should beable to find 30 minutes if just for a walk, but some days its just so darn hard......you keep up the playing with kids, they grow up way too fast.......thanks

I didn't think you sounded snotty at all. Its hard, we can only sqeeze in what you can, ya know! I do make sure, I am eating healthy, and the proper portions. I may not be losin as fast, but I am losing, thatsgrat to me! Good luck to you!
  • yellow_pepper
    yellow_pepper Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I work from 9:30 AM - 7:30 PM on average. I usually go to the gym at either 10:30 PM, 7:15 AM or both. I'm lucky to live in a building with a gym that's open from 6:00 AM to 11:00 PM. And my commute is a 15-minute walk.
  • denmother46
    denmother46 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Maybe just try to exercise a couple of work days at first and then also on weekends. Dont overwhelm yourself. Maybe just walk half an hour on Tuesday and Thursday ( and also weekends) so its not too much at first. Once you realize you do have a little time and you enjoy it then you can add other days/more time. I wouldnt try for everyday at first with your schedule.

Good Luck!!
  • Chellekk
    Chellekk Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I don't have kids, so I tend to have more time for all the sports I play, but here's something I've noticed that a lot of parents could do...

Be active while your kids are playing their sports. You can watch them at the same time you walk the track or watch them while doing lunges on the side-lines. Especially during practices. Give them all your attention during games, but practices can be YOUR time. Indoor or outdoor...there is plenty to do and I bet some other parents will join in.
  • GTOgirl1969
    GTOgirl1969 Posts: 2,527 Member
    Options
    I'd say I'm at an advantage because I am a SAHM, but it's not always easy to find the "me time" to do the exercise. I just make it part of my day, same as getting the kids off to school or doing laundry. Not that it's a chore, because I love to work out, but I find making it a non-negotiable daily thing works best for me.:flowerforyou:
  • sarabear
    sarabear Posts: 864
    Options
    I am a parent also, and I just figured out something, me being over weight is not helping my children, I want to be there for them, go to their weddings, see their children, the whole nine yards. Using 30 minutes of their evening time be doing them a favor. Even using 30 minutes of your lunch break to get in a quick walk will help. Are there gyms in your area that offer child care? I know the Y in my area does, and even offers classes for some children.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    I am not a morning person. No way I can wake up early to exercise. Tried that one. EPIC FAIL.
    After work, I pick up the kiddo, go home, make dinner, clean up, put her to bed, get myself ready for work the next day, and finally have a moment to myself around 9pm. Working out hypes me up. NO NIGHT TIME WORKOUTS FOR ME.

I give up my lunchbreak and hit the gym.
    It keeps me from eating out (horrible, delicious, calorie-laden meals) and saves me money.
  • paulamma1
    paulamma1 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Wow, I gotta tell you all, reading your stories about how busy your lives are, especially with kids and commuting, I take my hat off to you!

Don't have kids, leave the house at 7.40 a.m. and get back in at 7.00 p.m. I work out in the am before I leave the house, I also have my lunch time to work out.

yooperme, do you take a lunch hour? Could you walk during that time? Do you have elevators/escalators where you work? I walk stairs as much as possible, if I HAVE to take an escalator I'll always walk up/down it. (I work in NYC on the 33rd floor so have to take the elevator, but if I'm going up or down 2 or 3 flights, I'll take the internal stairs.)
  • Super_mom
    Super_mom Posts: 185
    Options
    I understand you completly, I myself have 5 kids and its really hard to find the time for yourself to
    workout, I have the same problems, I work fulltime from 8-5, get home around 5:30 pick the kids up and start dinner, what I try to do is get in a workout while cooking dinner, I know its probably hard
    but if your baking chicken or something in the oven, put that on and try to take 30min to yourself to get in a quick workout, That kinda of works for me, but there are times where I dont have time at all,

by the way how old are the kids, maybe one can help out with the other so you can get a workout in.
  • robsgal
    robsgal Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    From a former yooper to another, it's hard to get in exercise during the winter up there, I totally remember, short days, little sun and snow. What about a few short workouts, like 15 minutes in the AM and 15 in the PM or something like that. Once the day get longer it will be easier to get outside in the evening and during lunch, but for now try to schedule shorter intervals. Also my mom used to go right after work twice a week and we knew we had to eat late those days or dad would have to make sure he came home after work and mom would have dinner ready, like in the crock pot of something to make it easer on him. I guess the same way you fit in time being involved in the chuch is the same way you fit in time for youself to exercise, you've got to remember to take care of yourself so you have enough of you to go around to everyone...including yourself.
  • sindyb9
    sindyb9 Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    I will get more exercise during the warmer times but now I get it in by walking to the station in the morning instead of taking the bus. I get up earley in work by 8AM get out at 5PM and off to the second job only get 15 min to walk but it is something start 6PM and dont get home until 9:15PM. I cant wait until it is warmer so I can walk on my lunches again. Do what you can. :drinker:
  • yooperme
    Options
    i work in a very small town, rural setting. no i work thru my lunch time. the closest work out facility is 30 miles away......for exercise i either xski or walk, just because there is nothing else to do here in the U.P.
    however, the weather has turned to below 0, and there is no way i will venture out in that weather......i understand that if i stay within my calorie limit i will still lose weight, but excercise sure makes ya feel better. will wait til this cold spell breaks
  • yellow_pepper
    yellow_pepper Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Can you buy exercise equipment online?
  • psyknife
    psyknife Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    As I said in another thread...

I work full time from 9-5, I teach 4 classes per week at various gyms (which take up most of my nights), and I'm studying to earn my personal training certification... on top of that I'm constantly learning new routines for my classes and working on new choreography. If I can find time for my own personal workouts, I'm sure you can. It's a matter of prioritizing and MAKING the time in your life. If you want it bad enough, you'll make it happen.
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    Hello to a fellow Yooper! I live in NE WI now but grew up in Ishpeming.
    It's cold here to and I am so glad that I have a treadmill. I bought it a few years ago and use it from about Oct-March.
    The other option is to get some dvd's. There are alot of good ones out there.
    The good part about exercising at home is there is no excuse not to. I can't say I can't get to the gym because the roads are bad......

On the busy part. You will have to carve out some time for exercise. As great as it is to help out others you need to make time to take care of yourself and that's what exercise is. Taking care of the body God gave you. You will be able to minister to others more effectively if you are healthy.

Stay warm! I hear we are in for a bad week!