Should i turn Vegetarian???

Options
Sry if this topic has been discussed before.....but i had to ask....

In the past, i asked a lot of my skinny friends about how should i lose the extra fat in my body... most of them asked me to quit non veg.....(not that i eat it that much...i just eat chicken 2wice a week or so) .... and co-incidentally all the friends who suggested me so were vegetarians themselves....

now im not sure.... does this really work or they just want me to turn a vegetarian like them.....

no offence to vegetarians ofcourse..... but should i actually quit non veg for a while or its really not gonna help me lose much weight?????

plz HELP!

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    no, there are overweight vegetarians. It mostly comes down to calories in vs calories out regardless if it is meat or not. If not eating meat is what you need to do to hit your calorie goal then it may help, but that is the only reason it will help.
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    no, there are overweight vegetarians. It mostly comes down to calories in vs calories out regardless if it is meat or not. If not eating meat is what you need to do to hit your calorie goal then it may help, but that is the only reason it will help.

this
  • bitterbrownie
    Options
    if you like eating meat, then stick with it :) you can lose weight anyway as long as you follow calories in < calories out

just try and eat a balanced diet, with lots of fruit and veg, and enjoy it
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Absolutely no connection between being vegetarian and losing weight. Your chicken 2-3 times a week sounds very healthy, and not the sort of thing that would hinder weight loss.

I'm guessing its their portion sizes that keep them slim, not what they eat.
  • jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I agree its doesnt matter what you eat as long as your calorie intake is less than your output. Set a goal for calories and just try to stay away from rice and pasta etc. Your body needs protein and while you can get it from certain grains you need meat. LOL Good starch substitutes are Quinoa, brown rice, whole wheat pasta etc. I like to slice cabbage very thin and use that as noodles. If you need noodles you can also try miracle or shiritaki noodles. They are basically a free food.
  • jbudge1
    jbudge1 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Only you can answer that question. Personally I could never be a vegetarian. I enjoy meat too much and love to barbeque. It is possible to be fat and be a vegetarian as well. Just watch your calories and eat sensible.
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I have been a vegetarian for 18 years and have struggled with my weight. I can easily gain weight because there are a lot of really bad foods that are vegetarian. It takes a lifestyle change to eat healthy that matters. Not giving up meat. I think your vegetarian friends just want you to become vegetarian to be like them, not to lose weight.
  • IamEric
    Options
    I've become a weekday vegetarian (mostly). Since Saturday is my "cheat" day, and I love to barbecue and smoke meat, I save my "meat calories" for the weekend. I have noticed a change in my waist as well as in my wallet.
  • jraps17
    jraps17 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    not a good reason to turn Veg - this from an overweight vegetarian. That alone will not guarantee weight loss. sorry, only hard work will.
  • anvacarz
    Options
    I'm a vegan/vegetarian (ovo/pesc). French fries are veg, cake is veg, cookies/chips/candy/etc are all veg. Becoming a vegetarian doesn't magically drop the pounds. As the other poster said- there are overweight vegetarians. Just watch your diet. I recommend vegetarianism as a lifestyle/moral thing, but never necessarily to drop pounds.
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    When I was a vegetarian, I relied mostly on carbs and cheese. Needless to sy, I lost weight when I started to eat meat again!
  • hazelmae123
    hazelmae123 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I was vegetarian for 20 years and during that time both thin and fat. It is about healthy eating and calories no matter what type of diet you have. I know LOTS of former vegetarians who have gone back on the meat wagon. It's just a personal choice. I find myself and others I know find a happy balance with a 75-90 vegetarian diet. Also, keep in mind whenever you tell yourself something is taboo and off limits, you are automatically going to go into rebellion and want it. I never make anything off limits, if my desire for it is high enough, I eat and get rid of the desire, rather than eating my weight in rice cakes and still never getting rid of the craving!
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Like juicy tasting Beef, Pork, Chicken, Turkey....ANIMAL? Then no.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    A great diet includes lots of vegetables and a protein source with very little in the way of starches and refined carbs. That diet can include meat, or some other source of protein. A healthful vegetarian diet includes a little extra work, especially avoiding overreliance on high-fat dairy as a protein source. Lots of vegetarians are picky eaters to begin with, and actually eat a terrible diet, with too much bread and processed meat substitutes and other soy products.

That said, the human body will run on just about everything.
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    I have been a vegetarian for 18 years and have struggled with my weight. I can easily gain weight because there are a lot of really bad foods that are vegetarian. It takes a lifestyle change to eat healthy that matters. Not giving up meat. I think your vegetarian friends just want you to become vegetarian to be like them, not to lose weight.

^^ This. My aunt has been a vegetarian for 20 something years, she ended up having Lap Band surgery 3 years ago, only lost 12lbs with the lap band. She is now exercising regularly and making small healthier changes and the weight is slowly starting to come off. Vegetarian doesn't always = skinny/healthy.

***NOTE: This post is NOT bashing vegetarians.***
  • g0rg0ri
    Options
    If you follow a balanced diet, including proteins, carbs, fat, sugar, etc, in the right amounts and you keep your calories intake controlled (ie, the calories that your body requires), then everything will be fine, no matter where you get those nutrients. Our body knows how to take care of himself, our brain is the one who's playing games with us :smile:
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    I went Vegan for a month after reading the Kind Diet and expected to feel all cleansed and wonderful as apparently experts say will happen. NONE of that happened!

Going vegan was easy since I don't like cheese, eggs I can go without easily and switching to soy milk was no big deal. Of course I avoided honey, gluten etc so I was in fact being true to vegan lifestyle (other than tossing out my leather furniture, running shoes, silk and wool clothing) but even though I still got about 70g of protein a day, I felt lethargic and keeping carbs down was very hard since "high-protein" vegetarian items like beans and nuts are high in carbs too.

I felt so much better once I started eating chicken again (I eat low-fat burgers maybe 5x a year so I'm pretty much 99% chicken-only).

There are a lot of unhealthy heavy vegetarians out there eating mostly potatoes. Eating vegetarian to lose weight is like going to Atkins, you cut out an entire food group and when you eventually come back to the real world weight gain often happens. Coming back to chicken actually has made me more successful but I'm just letting you know, feel free to give it a shot but I don't endorse vegan/vegetarianism for weight-loss reasons.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options

this. You can be a veg who lives on butter noodles and crisps. If you go veg do a ton of research and be prepared to make a lot of effort to hit protein and iron
  • VeganGal84
    VeganGal84 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Only go vegetarian if you really want to. Don't let anyone pressure you into eating or not eating something.

I went vegan around the same time that I started Weight Watchers, so it's tough for me to know whether or not the veganism had anything to do with my weight loss, or if it was all portion control.

Do what's right for YOU.
  • lor007
    lor007 Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    French fries and ice cream are both vegetarian friendly foods.

Just a thought.