Does iced tea = water?

Options
I drink quite a bit of iced tea and want to know if I should be counting it towards my daily water total or is the water in addition to the tea? Also, what about diet soda? Can it be counted towards your water?

Replies

• Tuffjourney
    Options
    I count my iced tea as water. Since it is free of sugar. :wink:
  • voluptuous_veggie
    voluptuous_veggie Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Water is water. If diet soda or tea counted as water, they'd be called "water". The caffeine in those things actually DEHYDRATE you, so for each time you drink one of those, it takes about double that amount in water to rehydrate yourself.
  • timeforme23
    Options
    I wish. Only water is water.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    The main ingredient in Coke is water...someone wise told me so
  • auntied
    auntied Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I get at least 5 16.9 bottles of water a day no problem then I drink diet soda at nite with my JACK! and Ice Tea in between!
  • moushtie
    moushtie Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Personally I would count tea as water. Us brits drink tea like it *is* water, and I don't fancy telling my parents that their tea doesn't count as a drink...
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    For me I only count actual water for my water intake; I'll log my coffee, tea and sodas separately...even though I drink my coffee black.
  • Jennilvmp
    Options
    What if u drink water with a couple of drops of that new Mio liquid water enhancer????
  • KPaden1221
    Options
    as long as you're drinking unsweet and decaffinated i say go for it...
  • Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    As long as there isn't much caffeine, you are fine counting it.

Drinks with high caffeine like Coke and black tea and coffee cause you to pee more than you gain in water... so don't count those.

But green tea or herbal teas have negligible amounts of caffeine usually, so I count them.

Oh, don't count booze for the same reason.
  • teetee1281
    teetee1281 Posts: 1,076 Member
    Options
    If you are drinking caffeine free tea and very little sugar, I would count it, but I wouldn't give it full credit, so like 8oz, I'd only count as 4oz and still strive to get more water intake in. Over time, I only drink sodas to treat myself my main intake is hot or ice tea (brewed not store brought) and water.
  • kajones2009
    kajones2009 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    as long as you're drinking unsweet and decaffinated i say go for it...

I agree... as long as it's decaf.. that's what gets ya, as for diet sodas, no, too much other stuff in them to count
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    The caffeine in tea may dehydrate you a little, but I think I would still count some of the tea in your daily water intake (maybe 50-75% of it).

A lot of people overestimate the dehydrating power of caffeine, and blow it way out of proportion. Caffeine is not that strong of a diuretic. If you drink 8 cups of water, on top of beverages like tea and coffee and the water content of the food you eat, you're probably getting more water than you actually NEED.

I know a lot of people will disagree, but extra water just gets filtered through your kidneys and urinated out without really benefiting you in any measurable way. I bet there are many who drink way more than they need. Just my opinion! :-)
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,190 Member
    Options
    If it is unsweetened I count it as water as the dehydrating effect of tea is minimal. If it is sweetened, I usually don't, even if the sweetener is non-caloric.
  • luppic8
    luppic8 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I was recently at the doctor's office and while I was waiting in the waiting room I was watching this little health and wellness segment on the television. They were doing a piece on healthy eating and they reminded you to make sure you drink at least 8 cups of water a day. It also stated that things such as tea, coffee and soft drinks counted as water. The only thing that did not make the "count" was alcohol...big shocker huh? So I guess to answer your question...According to Kaiser Permanente, your tea does count as water! :wink:
  • amadapooky76
    Options
    The only way I can get my water in is if I flavor it. I don't like lemon, so I use the drink mixes (sugar free).

I sure hope they count!!
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    Water is water. If diet soda or tea counted as water, they'd be called "water". The caffeine in those things actually DEHYDRATE you, so for each time you drink one of those, it takes about double that amount in water to rehydrate yourself.

icon_headdesk.gif

Lucky you don't actually need WATER then isn't it! It's fluid you need. I wish people would stop with this myth about caffeine dehydrating you...

It has long been thought that coffee and other caffeine-containing beverages are dehydrating and don’t count toward your daily fluid intake. In fact, some go as far as recommending one cup of water for every cup of Joe you consume. Most of us know that caffeine is a diuretic (it makes us have to go pee), but does it deplete our bodily fluids?

The Straight Talk
    In his review, “Caffeine, Body Fluid-Electrolyte Balance, and Exercise Performance,” Lawrence E. Armstrong, a professor of exercise physiology at the University of Connecticut disproves the notion that caffeinated beverages rob us of our precious fluids. By reviewing the scientific research on the subject, he concludes that although caffeine, like water, is a mild diuresis (it increases excretion of urine), moderate caffeine consumption does not produce a “fluid-electrolyte imbalance” that can affect health or exercise performance. Furthermore, we retain roughly the same amount of fluid after drinking a caffeinated beverage as we do after drinking water.

Even more encouraging for habitual coffee consumers is the finding that those with caffeine tolerance have reduced likelihood that a fluid electrolyte imbalance will occur. The more regular your caffeine habit, the more fluid your body is conditioned to retain.

Other findings support his conclusions. A small study done at the University of Nebraska tested the body weight, urine output, and blood of eighteen subjects after they consumed caffeinated and non-caffeinated beverages. They determined that there was “no significant differences in the effect of various combinations of beverages on hydration status of healthy adult males.” The Institute of Medicine expert panel on water and electrolyte intake asserts that the diuretic effects of caffeine are transient, and that coffee, tea, and colas can contribute to total water intake.

Via http://www.divinecaroline.com/22178/46361-coffee-makes-dehydrated-say-what#ixzz1ZGBUXtKA

Dr. Valtin specifically investigated the research evidence behind the most popular myths about our fluid needs.

All fluids count. The popular papers left “little doubt” that most advocates of the 8 glasses of water a day mean to convey that people should drink water per se, and specifically exclude caffeinated or sweetened drinks from the daily count. But this is a misperception, he wrote. He found strong scientific evidence that all fluids count, including water, coffee, tea, soft drinks, milk, juices and beer.

Dehydrating caffeine myth. Similarly, he found that recent experiments have “cast serious doubt on the often asserted diuretic role of caffeinated drinks,” he said. Caffeine had no significant effects on any of the variables that measure dehydration in one such study conducted at the Center for Human Nutrition in Omaha, for example, and the investigators concluded that “advising people to disregard caffeinated beverages as part of the daily fluid intake is not substantiated.” The diuretic effect of caffeine in drinks and moderate alcohol is trivial compared to the amount of water they contain.

We need less than we think. Among most adults, he found, caffeinated and alcoholic beverages constitute half or slightly more of their daily fluid intake, meaning the average adult drinks a respectable 1,700 ml and this doesn’t include the water from foods and metabolism, which also count. Yet, the medical research indicates that even 1,700 ml may be as much as a full liter more than what sedentary adults actually need to maintain physiological homeostasis, he said.

He couldn’t find any article where 8x8 was recommended on the basis of scientific evidence. The idea seemed to appear out of nowhere. He did, however, find one possible source for a misinterpretation that may have been repeated, like urban legends often are. The 1945 Food and Nutrition Board of the National Academy of Sciences had written in its Recommended Dietary Allowances:

A suitable allowance of water for adults is 2.5 liters daily in most instances. An ordinary standard for diverse persons is 1 milliliter for each calorie of food. Most of this quantity is contained in prepared foods.
    Dr. Valtin believes this last sentence may have been ignored, leaving the incorrect interpretation of these early dietary guidelines that eight glasses of water to be drunk each day.
  • Ragsdale7678
    Ragsdale7678 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I do not believe that the caffine in diet soda or tea can dehydrate you more than the quantity of water in the drink. I drink about 12 diet sodas per day and have for years. I do not doubt that caffine dehydrates, but not to that level. If it did I would be mummified by now.

By the way, I know I drink way too much soda, but it is the only vice I have left once I finish losing weight and I don't intend to quit it too.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    I do not count my 1 diet soda a day as being water b/c of the caffeine I guess. I only count water as water. But I really dislike plain water so I flavor it with a powdered flavoring that is sweetened with Truvia (one of my motivations for cutting back on the diet soda was to cut back on aspartame as well as the caffeine).
  • mouth5667
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!! You have been very helpful. I think my answer is count the tea/diet soda, just don't consume too much of it! Soda is no problem, I will try to watch the tea. I like the flavor drops idea for the water.