Ideas for high calorie, high protein, low fat snacks...

Options
I'm having a hard time getting all my calories in (my doc has asked me not to go below 1500), especially when I exercise. But, because of my diabetes, I follow a low carb plan which means, I get to my fat allowance pretty quickly (nuts, avocados, cheese). I also never meet my protein intake, so I need some ideas for high calorie, high protein, low fat snacks. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance! :happy:

Replies

• Jolie30
    Jolie30 Posts: 18
    Options
    I'm having a hard time getting all my calories in (my doc has asked me not to go below 1500), especially when I exercise. But, because of my diabetes, I follow a low carb plan which means, I get to my fat allowance pretty quickly (nuts, avocados, cheese). I also never meet my protein intake, so I need some ideas for high calorie, high protein, low fat snacks. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance! :happy:
  • finzup
    finzup Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Extra chicken breast, boiled egg whites, egg white omelette with spinach, salsa and chicken...
    Or protein shakes with very low sugar ?
  • yellow_pepper
    yellow_pepper Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    If I were in your position, I'd eat up lean beef tenderloin... Or try bison and ostrich for a more exotic high protein, low fat option that is still higher in calories than turkey or chicken.
  • finzup
    Options
    If I were in your position, I'd eat up lean beef tenderloin... Or try bison and ostrich for a more exotic high protein, low fat option that is still higher in calories than turkey or chicken.

Beef tenderloin probably still has too much fat -- plus it's more saturated fats...
    I think the OP said she needs high calorie/high protein/ low fat so that basically rules out beef I would think?
  • finzup
    Options
    EAS myoplex light (chocolate) has 180 calories, 2g fat, 1 sugar, 3 fiber, and 25 proteins.

Add to it some skim milk and you'd get even more protein with little fat and carbs.
  • yellow_pepper
    yellow_pepper Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Depends on how lean it is, no? Maybe I'm just craving red meat myself. :wink:
  • DaisyJane
    DaisyJane Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I have no idea whether this is any good for you but I like to have a toasted bagel with english mustard and one slice of wafer thin ham. low fat and high carb.

Having said that, thats probably more of a lunch than a snack...

Can you go orange from eating too many satsumas? I thin k I'm addicted!
  • Jolie30
    Jolie30 Posts: 18
    Options
    The kicker is that because of my current insulin dosing regime, I can ONLY eat at scheduled meal times, so no real snacks. So it would have to be light enough to get in with my regular meals. I normally drink water with my meals, maybe if I add a protein shake at breakfast and dinner, I'd get enough in. I'm going to look into that. That may be just what I need! Thanks for the help! :drinker: