I'M SO BIG IT IS HARD TO DO EXERCISE RIGHT

Options
I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO DO MORE EXERCISES, BUT I AM SO BIG THAT I DON'T THINK I AM DOING THEM RIGHT. THE KIDS SHOW ME WHAT THEY DO IN GYM CLASS AND TO BE HONEST I CAN'T DO IT ANY IDEAS ON WHAT WOULD BE GOOD EXERCISE FOR ME I FEEL WEIRD WHEN I TRY TO DO THEM.

Replies

• proudmom
    proudmom Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO DO MORE EXERCISES, BUT I AM SO BIG THAT I DON'T THINK I AM DOING THEM RIGHT. THE KIDS SHOW ME WHAT THEY DO IN GYM CLASS AND TO BE HONEST I CAN'T DO IT ANY IDEAS ON WHAT WOULD BE GOOD EXERCISE FOR ME I FEEL WEIRD WHEN I TRY TO DO THEM.
  • Mireille
    Mireille Posts: 5,134 Member
    Options
    Walking is an incredible exercise.

You can increase the minutes and speed every week.

I would keep doing that until you feel stronger. :flowerforyou:
  • GTOgirl1969
    GTOgirl1969 Posts: 2,527 Member
    Options
    When I weighed almost 200 lbs, I felt awkward doing squats and lunges and that sort of thing. I started out with brisk walking and worked more on the "diet" side of the weight-loss equation, until the pounds started to drop. As I got lighter on my feet I began adding in the harder stuff.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    If you feel you can't do other exercise, then walk. Just walk.

Personally, if I feel like an *kitten* when exercising, mentally I get pretty blue. That's no good. Exercise is meant to be exciting and invigorating and uplifting!

Just walk. Walk slowly at first, so that you aren't huffing and puffing, but keep a decent pace. Over time, increase this pace. Have the kids walk with you.

We all start small. Walking is the first exercise for everyone.... building your lung power and sending the message to your body that it's time for a change!

(((hugs)))
  • jennlos
    jennlos Posts: 200
    Options
    The easiest thing you can do is walk. Try walking everyday set goals for yourself and start out like doing 15-20 minutes a day then slowly work yourself up. They say we should get in 10,000 steps a day, get a pedometer and start out doing what you can and eventually you will get stronger to do more. I know what you mean feeling weird about doing certain excercises, I am big myself and I don't like doing videos in front of my husband and he has seen me is some lets just say different positions lol. But we have to learn not to worry about that and strive to reach our goals no matter how weird we look in a yoga pose that looks totallly wrong. Good luck Jenn
  • BeauPuppy
    Options
    You know what I discovered? Even if I'm not "doing it right", I'm still burning caloreis. I'm such a type "A" personality, and I (seriously) thought if I don't do it right, I'm not burning calories. It sounds silly, but that was such a revelation to me. Just keep moving. Cardio of any kind burns calories. Maybe get a heart monitor of some sort you can wear while walking or exercising, one that shows calories burned. Talk about motivation... :flowerforyou:
  • jackeh
    jackeh Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    I agree walking is the best exercise.. but there are other things you can do that burn tons of calories... like vaccuming, playing tag with the kids, swimming... are a few... take it slow and it will start coming off :)
  • memaw66
    memaw66 Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options

The important thing is that you are moving!!! Form will come later! Do what you can, just move!
    Walking is good too but if you WANT to do the exercises just do what you can as long as you are moving, form and style will improve as you lose the weight and as your body gets used to what you are doing, practice makes perfect!
  • sarabear
    sarabear Posts: 864
    Options
    If joint problems are hurting you try the elliptical machines. My knee was killing me until I tried this. I was on the treadmill and everyday I'd be like I can't do this anymore, but the weight was killing it, not to mention a highschool ACL tear, but if I wasn't this heavy, I don't think it'd be bothering me as bad. Keep it up, as long as you are doing something, THAT'S what counts!
  • cwalbrj
    cwalbrj Posts: 61
    Options
    I agree with everyone, walk walk walk. There are a couple of great walking DVD's out there. Her name is Leslie Sanderson (something like that), that are walking videos that you can do right there in your living room (in case it's too cold outside). I have one of her DVD's, and I love it. Good Luck with your journey !
  • FletcherChic
    Options
    before i ever joined a gym or did any type of workout, i walked...i did it 5 days a week for a year and i lost a lot of size...plus i built up my cardio so that when i did join the gym i felt comfortable being in that environment and i didn't give myself a heart attack trying to do those classes...plus it was much easier being in a room full of mirrors after losing some weight...i definitely suggest the walking!!! :flowerforyou:
  • callme911
    callme911 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I too agree with most everyone else. Especially since you have kids, WALKING is a great way to get out, get moving, and burn THEIR energy too!

Also, Sparkpeople.com is a great site. It is very similar to this one, but on their exercise page they have demonstrations and show you how to do the simplist of exercises to make sure you are doing them right.

Simple ones from wall push ups (I do everytime I step into the bathroom here at work. That way I get something in and no one sees me so I don't have to worry.) so sit ups, or jumping jacks or hip rotations. ANYTHING!

Give the site a look through, and consider walks. Maybe, if you don't already have one, get a dog if you can, and train that dog from day one to be a walking buddy. It might help if you know that you have a responsibility to walk that dog. Soon you will miss the walk on days you might miss.
  • sindyb9
    sindyb9 Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    I started by walking lost the 33 pounds just by walking. :bigsmile: I have medical issues that I have to be careful of what exercises I do. But you can start off walking and you will pick up speed after time and be able to walk longer. It was hard for me to see everyone around me able to do all the harder exercises and I wanted to do them too. Everyone is different you need to go with what you are capable of doing. Keep up the good work and drink plenty of water while exercising. :drinker: :drinker:
  • Benson
    Benson Posts: 444
    Options
    Hi there I am also large and have medical issues that prevent me (for now) from getting down on the floor to do exercises. I only walk and I am noticing the difference. I can't go fast and I can't go far but I am moving. Try carrying weights as you walk - you can even use canned soup or something. This will add to your calorie burn. As you progress you can lift your feet, almost marching and swing your arms. You can do this!! For me, even the couple hundred calories I burn walking is often the difference between going over my calorie limit or staying within.

Heather
  • heatherrose
    Options
    Hi! One thing that may be fun is the workout tape sweatin to the oldies. I remember doing it in the basement with my mom and her friends and it was really fun. Only do the sections that you are able to do for now and slowly work in more. Have your kids do it with you! I loved it. At a young age it got me excited that dancing was actually excercising but a fun way to lose weight and be healthy! I am only 30 years old and am looking for a tape myself because my kids will love the music and i can get a workout at the same time :) Good luck!
  • samster85
    Options
    Walking, stairs, stretching, lifting small weights, and standing in one spot while twisting back and forth are all good things to do until it is easier to do other exercises like crunches and stuff.
  • hibbler22
    hibbler22 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Try walking and as you get use to it increase your time or distance, also you can try a stationary bike. Good Luck :smile:
  • lpadilla75
    Options
    I agree with others, walking is great. Or you could play your favorite music, add lots of volume and dance around.

Dancing is great exercise too.
  • wannabeeskinny
    Options
    I am in the same boat and I do know what you mean.
    I want to do aerobics but right now,,its too tough on my knees
    SO,,,I am walking as much as i can..and dancing some
    not a lot of lower body movement right now...but it will come
    Each day it seems to be a bit easier for me to move around
    I do as much as i can for as long as i can
    and i dont feel bad for what I cant do just yet
    It will come
    hang in there