Cooler-less on Campus

Options
Hi guys,

I am looking for some ideas of what I can pack and prepare to eat on school days. I attend college two days a week and I am wandering around campus or sitting in class from 6am until 5pm those days. I do have a cooler but it is large and too hefty to bring with me all day. I cannot get to my car between classes, not enough time scheduled in. So any food that I bring would have to be able to stay good in the heat.

I know of a few things:
granola bars
cereal baggies
tuna cans
tortilla/breads
nuts

I'd love to hear more options. What do you like to eat that isn't required to be kept cold?

I have tried making tuna wraps at school, it was messy! It is still possible, though.

Replies

• warriorprincessdi
    warriorprincessdi Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Try taking some fruits, string-cheese, crackers, You can also eat dried fruit! How about oatmeal? If you get the ready-to-serve packets, all you need is hot water....
  • Juliebean_1027
    Juliebean_1027 Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    I bring baggies of fruit and vegetables. (Carrots, an orange that's pre-peeled but not sectioned out, an apple that's cut but kept together so it doesn't turn brown, etc.) I also really like the fiber one bars and brownies (the 90 calorie ones are really actually quite good).
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    string cheese needs refrigerated, doesn't it? I always buy it cold, at least.

The oatmeal and fruits are great ideas, I didn't realize fruits did not need to be kept cold (most at least). But they are quite high in sugar and that is a huge trouble for me. I didn't mention that.

I will look into some low sugar/warm fruits. Maybe berries, not sure if they need to be kept cold.
  • Redness82
    Redness82 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Buy a new cooler?? They have some really cute ones at Walmart and Target that are more purse like and thermal. :)
  • TashaP2011
    TashaP2011 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Fruit or cut up raw veggies would probably be fine - I give them to my kids for their afternoon snacks at school. You might even be able to devise some kind of oil and vinegar dressing that would not need to be refrigerated for dipping.
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    i bring a sandwich to campus. i have tupperwear thats in the shape of a sandwich that i use to keep it from smushing lol. sandwiches, apples, 100 calorie special k fruit crisps, nutrigrain bars (or the 90 calorie special k bars), granola bars, peanuts/almonds/any nut really... look for stuff with protein and fiber because it keeps you full for longer
  • mynameiscarrie
    Options
    string cheese needs refrigerated, doesn't it? I always buy it cold, at least.

they wont go bad between that amount of time...i used to have string cheese at lunch as a kid all the time.

there are seriously so many foods you can take that don't need to be kept cold. just because you buy them cold doesn't mean it has to be kept that way . if you plan on eating it in a short amount of time, a lot of things will be ok if theyre not cold.
  • JoceyyySmall
    JoceyyySmall Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    i bring a sandwich to campus. i have tupperwear thats in the shape of a sandwich that i use to keep it from smushing lol. sandwiches, apples, 100 calorie special k fruit crisps, nutrigrain bars (or the 90 calorie special k bars), granola bars, peanuts/almonds/any nut really... look for stuff with protein and fiber because it keeps you full for longer

I do this- I honestly pack my lunches for what I want to eat that day. If I want tuna I make my tuna and bring it, if I want a salad I bring the salad- try dressings like balsamic vin. doesn't need to be kept cold. Or I just pack a little tupperware of dressing.... bring fruits and veggies also.
  • Punkedpoetess
    Punkedpoetess Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter and jelly or Peanut butter and banana sandwiches, cut up veggies, fresh fruit such as apples, grapes, bananas, etc., a serving of nuts such as almonds (any nut is good), meal/snack bars such as Clif or Luna bars, and jerky (beef, turkey, or otherwise) would work. Also, salads with non-creamy dressings would work including a pasta salad.
  • mynameiscarrie
    Options

The oatmeal and fruits are great ideas, I didn't realize fruits did not need to be kept cold (most at least). But they are quite high in sugar and that is a huge trouble for me. I didn't mention that.

also, if you're worried about sugar in fruits, i usually don't even count those when tracking my sugar. it's natural sugar, not processed. fruit is good for you and the sugars in fruit aren't the same as sugar in ice cream or whatever.

now if it's for health or something that's different, but if it's just because your tracking sugar i wouldn't worry about it
  • sarah44254
    Options
    Buy a new cooler?? They have some really cute ones at Walmart and Target that are more purse like and thermal. :)

I actually have one of those and have tried carrying it with me, but there are just too many things to carry at once during school. It's a shame I can't juggle better :)
  • sarah44254
    Options

Staying fuller longer is actually something I am trying to avoid. I have troubles eating enough calories during the day and need to always have food with me so I can remind myself to eat something. It is so easy for me to just go the whole day and literally forget to eat.

The Tupperware is a great reminder, I have a ton of little 1cup sized container things that I can pack full of goodies and stuff in my backpack.
  • sarah44254
    Options
    Cut up veggies is something I totally overlooked. They sound delicious :)
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    I saw they sell Cooler tote bags and it's a shoulder bad and not too bulky. May be check it out and help to keep food cool without needing to worry about limiting what you like to bring for lunch.
  • alapoint89
    Options
    try packing a salad in a zipblock bag, carrots grapes peanuts
  • whouwannab
    whouwannab Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I hard boil eggs and peel them. Then I bring one in a baggie with me each day for a mid morning snack. I keep it at my desk for about an hour and a half and it is just fine.