Stupid Question...

Options
Hello Everyone,

I have a stupid question. I know you can eat anything you want, as long as your stay below your calories for the day. I love Dunkin Donuts coffee coolata. If I have one 4-5 days a week (400 calories), will I still lose weight if I count it. I know it has a lot of sugar in it. Hopefully after a month or two, I won't want them anymore. Does anyone else here drink them and if so, are you still losing
weight. Thanks....

Replies

• HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone,

I have a stupid question. I know you can eat anything you want, as long as your stay below your calories for the day. I love Dunkin Donuts coffee coolata. If I have one 4-5 days a week (400 calories), will I still lose weight if I count it. I know it has a lot of sugar in it. Hopefully after a month or two, I won't want them anymore. Does anyone else here drink them and if so, are you still losing
    weight. Thanks....

Ofc. As long as your calories in<calories out, you'll lose weight.

Will you be healthier? Yes.

Will you be healthy? Debatable.
  • YukonJoy
    YukonJoy Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    Who the heck told you that you can eat anything you want as long as you're under your calorie goal?

Smack them
  • JoLeeFA
    JoLeeFA Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I have heard some folk say that their weight loss stalls with too much sugar in the diet, regardless of calorie intake... I haven't had this problem yet, but be aware that it COULD happen!
  • ambercanfly
    ambercanfly Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Who the heck told you that you can eat anything you want as long as you're under your calorie goal?

Smack them

Second that!
  • DietingMommy08
    DietingMommy08 Posts: 1,366 Member
    Options
    Add extra water to your day on the days you drink that coffee. U wanna wash out that sodium. :o)
  • MyouTakara
    Options
    Is that the smallest size?
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Yep, log it accurately and you will be fine. However, you might be going to bed hungry, because those empty calories could have otherwise been nutritious calories. Your body will be sad and craving nutrition and this will come through in the form of hunger.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    You will still lose weight staying at your caloric intake level, but keep in mind, if you are on a low cal diet (1200 cals for a woman or 1500 for a man) you cannot afford to have "treats" in your diet, as it is very difficult to get the required nutrition, macro (carbs, fat, protein) and micro (vitamins and minerals) on a diet that low in calories. If you are eating 300 or more above the above mentioned calorie level you should be able to afford a treat in your diet. But on a strict low cal diet i.e. 1200 cals/day, there is no room for empty calories, you need to make every calorie count.
  • Moofey
    Moofey Posts: 444
    Options

Smack them

Second that!

Third that!
  • kylakesgal
    kylakesgal Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I say everything in moderation and if this is something you really must have, then I'd probably just limit to 1-2 a week and eventually cut it out because that is a lot of really empty calories. You can have a really nice meal for that many but with that being said, if you can fit it in to your calorie budget, every now and then won't be too bad.
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    You will still lose weight staying at your caloric intake level, but keep in mind, if you are on a low cal diet (1200 cals for a woman or 1500 for a man) you cannot afford to have "treats" in your diet, as it is very difficult to get the required nutrition, macro (carbs, fat, protein) and micro (vitamins and minerals) on a diet that low in calories. If you are eating 300 or more above the above mentioned calorie level you should be able to afford a treat in your diet. But on a strict low cal diet i.e. 1200 cals/day, there is no room for empty calories, you need to make every calorie count.
    This. It's okay to have treats like that; you just need to make sure you're getting enough protein and whatnot. FYI, MFP's default protein setting is rather low, so you want to eat more protein than what MFP recommends.
  • newlyknit
    newlyknit Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I started in the summer and I used to get a BK Mocha Joe every morning. 290 calories. I stayed within my calorie range every day, but eventually I bought them less frequently and I decided I didn't wan to 'spend' that many calories on something that didn't fill me up very much.

So, go ahead if thats what you want, but if weight loss starts to stall (or you find yourself hungry all the time) I would kick that coffee out.
  • MoooveOverFluffy
    MoooveOverFluffy Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    since you love them so much, i highly doubt you will "no longer want them" in a couple months.. TRY CUTTING BACK INSTEAD!!! if you only have 1200 calories a day and you spend 400 on coffeee, you're either going to starve trying to stay under, or go over and GAIN!
  • nickiec85
    nickiec85 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Why in the world would you want to use 400 calories on empty nutrion when you could fill up on healthy??? Eat anything you want to and stay in calorie intake......guess if that is true I could fill up on sweets!!
  • CountryDevil
    CountryDevil Posts: 819 Member
    Options

Smack them

Second that!

Third that!

Fourth that!
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Add extra water to your day on the days you drink that coffee. U wanna wash out that sodium. :o)

Is there a lot of sodium in lattes? Where would it come from?
  • m0_0m
    m0_0m Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    400 calories is A LOT for sugary junk if you ask me. Stick with regular coffee and treat yourself once a week. Your body will appreciate it!
  • LaDiablesse
    LaDiablesse Posts: 862 Member
    Options

Smack them

Second that!

Third that!

Fourth that!

Fifth that!

You want quality in the calories you're consuming. Not much nutritional value in those 400 calories.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    In that case, I will consume nothing but red wine all day, every day. I will track that in my food diary. My water intake will be vodka. The water of life!
  • jemachharo
    jemachharo Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Just cut them out. You'll save calories for real food and save money. Just a waste and waist of both. I used to get a Vente vanilla latte from Starbucks every morning. It was a little tough driving past the first couple of days but I no longer miss them. I've cut most sugar out of my diet and feel sooooo much better.