Dumb question about water intake

Options
2»

Replies

• HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    Finally, a decent reply! Thank you Larius.

I take on board your counter.

However, what it fails to mention is the notion that many people, especially on here, seem to think that drinking water is the only way to get "water" into your system. Most people eat fruit and veg, drink tea coffee, juice, soda, etc, but do not believe that counts towards their daily intake. Therefore, in actuality, they are already getting the majority of their fluid. Sure, there is no proof that drinking a reasonable amount of superfluous water has any negative effects, but for the average person (and ofc there are exceptions, but we have to go with the majority), they do not NEED to DRINK 8x8 water in order to remain suitably hydrated.

Water Content of Foods

Apples: 85
    Apricots: 85
    Bean sprouts: 92
    Chicken, boiled: 71
    Cucumbers, raw: 96
    Eggplant, raw: 92
    Grapes: 82
    Lettuce, head: 96
    Oranges: 86
    Peaches, raw: 90
    Peppers, green: 94
    Potatoes, raw: 85
    Strawberries, raw: 90
    Turkey, roasted: 62
    Watermelon: 93
  • adamsonam
    Options
    I have always assumed 1 glass = 8 oz. I actually was wondering the same thing and googled this last night, to find the correct answer. A lot of people already told you what I discovered in my research. As a guide line, 1 cup = 8 fluid ounces. Found on the Mayo Clinic - here is the link http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/water/NU00283

Here is a little story of what recently happened to me:

My glasses are larger than 8 ounce. I don't have the box they came in anymore so I could not check how many ounces they really are. I guessed that they were 12 ounce. When I first started MFP I calculated how many of my glasses I would have to drink a day to get the recommended amount of water. Then when I log my water I just keep count of how many of my glasses I drink. For me this is easier than having to figure out the ounces. So it never looks like I am drinking my 8 glasses, even though I really am. Today I was filling up my water bottle, I use this while I am working out, and noticed on the back it tells me how many ounces it holds- 14 oz. I then put my water bottle next to my regular glass.Side by side, clearly my regular drinking glasses that I use most of the time are much larger than my water bottle. I have been under estimating my water this entire time. <smacks self in head> :embarassed:

:noway: Now that is alotta water!! LOL Glad I'm not the only one underestimating or even wondering about this topic. :smile: