Motivation - What moves you?

Options
So a little about myself...I've been overweight and yo-yo dieted for as long as I can remember. I've been successful a few times. I joined Weight Watchers in high school and was able to lose 50 pounds. I also gain all that back when I went to college. I've always been a person looking for the quick fix. I'm extremely impatient when it comes to losing weight. I want to see results NOW, and if I don't, I end up giving up.

But this time I won't! But I am still having a really hard time getting motivated. I joined Curves in August and haven't gone very often. The first month was good, I was going 4 times a week. Then things in my life got stressful and I got sick and I lost the motivation to get up in the morning and work out.

So here's my question for you. What motivates you to get up and go do something? I'm needing that little extra push right now, and I want to know what I can do to motivate myself.

Replies

• lisaisso
    lisaisso Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    use your weightloss as a huge accomplishment! every single, miniscule, positive action will propel you toward your goal.

you got this! :glasses:
  • jame_104
    jame_104 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I am fortunate enough an exercise buddy. We meet every morning at 5 am. It is really hard to make that phone call that you can't today cause you don't feel like it. Holds you 100% accountable. When she is traveling I lean on my MFP friends. I see all the hard work that they do and I feel guilty for not getting off my rear.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    It isn't motivation. It is that voice that a parent has to use with their children - tell yourself to just do it. There isn't any magical motivational tool that people can use, it has to be you. Just make yourself do it. You are the one that chooses to turn off that alarm and roll back over, or, you are the one that chooses to get your tired butt out of bed and to the gym. If you just don't enjoy the gym, you can work out other places too, there are videos, walking, etc.
  • sp53
    sp53 Posts: 40
    Options
    OK, I'll be honest, and if I come off as superficial and vain--so be it. I am motivated by how fun it is to look good in pretty clothes. I am 58 yrs old, so it's not like I'm rocking the very latest styles or showing a lot of skin, but feeling comfortable and attractive in jeans or whatever is just so great. I love trying on clothes and having them FIT. I love not having to worry about my appearance constantly--all that adjusting and fidgeting you do when you feel not-quite-right. I sincerely wish this for you!
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    I have a few things that motivate. For starters, not to fall off and/or get laughed off the stage at my competition in 5ish weeks and more importantly to take home a trophy! I want to ROCK it!
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    looking down and seeing my stomach motivates me....lol

Honestly, This time around I'm motivating myself. I used to do it to be better looking to men, to make women jealous....which i still want to do, but that's not the main reason of why i want to lose weight. I'm not one of those people that NEEDS constant reassurance from my mfp friends that "i can do this" or things of that nature.....is it nice to hear? Sure, but I think people to be motivators for themselves, and not rely on others to do it for them. We are in a world of blaming our faults on others.....oh my hubby is sabotaging me.....oh lunch meetings are sabotaging me....i have a rough child hood.....there are tons of excuses people use, but the truth of the matter is that its YOUR decision. These people aren't force feeding food down your throat.

I have been working out, eating right, logging my food.....and have barely lost anything....it is SO FREAKING FRUSTRATING. Even though i'm working hard, I know that if i give up now, I'll just gain it all back, and then some, then ill be even more unhealthy and more years of my life will be taken away from me.

Also another motivator for me is that I don't have health insurance, so if i get diabetes or some other illness related to being fat, i'm dunzo...i can't afford any medication or to get on any insurance plan. I would have to just sit and rot away in my own fat until i die....that does not sound appealing to me

It sounds like youve taken some really good steps, you just need to let YOU be the motivator, and do it because you love yoruself.
  • nekosimba
    nekosimba Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I am fortunate enough an exercise buddy. We meet every morning at 5 am. It is really hard to make that phone call that you can't today cause you don't feel like it. Holds you 100% accountable. When she is traveling I lean on my MFP friends. I see all the hard work that they do and I feel guilty for not getting off my rear.
    I would love to have an exercise buddy! I might just have to have the girls at Curve keep me accountable.
  • AEB_WV
    AEB_WV Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Motivation comes from within but trust me - you don't want to be almost 50 and STILL in that cycle of losing and gaining the same 50 pounds. It gets more difficult the older you are. I aim for this to be the last time for me!
  • BlessedandBeautifulBrown
    Options
    I motivated me.. I am missing the old me.. I am growning as a women and I want to be the best me I can be.. tired of feeling sorry or thinking
  • nekosimba
    nekosimba Posts: 239 Member
    Options

Honestly, This time around I'm motivating myself. I used to do it to be better looking to men, to make women jealous....which i still want to do, but that's not the main reason of why i want to lose weight. I'm not one of those people that NEEDS constant reassurance from my mfp friends that "i can do this" or things of that nature.....is it nice to hear? Sure, but I think people to be motivators for themselves, and not rely on others to do it for them. We are in a world of blaming our faults on others.....oh my hubby is sabotaging me.....oh lunch meetings are sabotaging me....i have a rough child hood.....there are tons of excuses people use, but the truth of the matter is that its YOUR decision. These people aren't force feeding food down your throat.

I have been working out, eating right, logging my food.....and have barely lost anything....it is SO FREAKING FRUSTRATING. Even though i'm working hard, I know that if i give up now, I'll just gain it all back, and then some, then ill be even more unhealthy and more years of my life will be taken away from me.

Also another motivator for me is that I don't have health insurance, so if i get diabetes or some other illness related to being fat, i'm dunzo...i can't afford any medication or to get on any insurance plan. I would have to just sit and rot away in my own fat until i die....that does not sound appealing to me

It sounds like youve taken some really good steps, you just need to let YOU be the motivator, and do it because you love yoruself.
    Thank you! Thank you! I think that's exactly what I needed to hear. I'm terrible at making excuses to not do something, or to eat something. I blame it all on stress. "I'm too busy at work, I'm too tired to work out"...god, I just need to suck it up and do it!

It is hard and there are days when I want to say f-it, it's not worth it, then eat cake.
  • 1goodymom67
    Options
    Motivation-What moves me? Hmm I had to think about that. I have been running/walking for about 3 years. I have had tremendous changes in my life not including weight loss and body changes. I think for me it was the right time. I really relied on others for my motivation but now I look to myself. I have the time my children are older and more mature. Also, when i make a promise to myself and I do everything in my power to keep it. I couldn't walk early yesterday as usual so I ran before my Tuesday night exercise class. I am doing it this for no one else but me. It sounds very selfish but I am not waiting for anyone this is for me and if others want to come for the ride great. I thought maybe dh and I could do but he is always busy, it seems. This is something that no matter how long it takes I am doing it. I truly enjoy running and walking, these are the two exercises that I have done consistantly. I am willing to try just about anything. You too, can do it, find something that you truly enjoy. Don't focus on the # on the scale but keep moving. :happy:
  • ShannonTodd
    ShannonTodd Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    My exercise time is time I take for me. First thing in the morning and then again at lunch (during the week) is all me! No kids or hubby needing me to do something, and no work-related issues.
    Guess you could call that a positive "time-out!" :bigsmile:
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    For me it started with a health scare. I found out back in late March that I had very high blood pressure.
    It was then that I started seriously looking at what I eat.
    Almost as soon as I started being careful with my food. I started loosing weight. And, the more I lost the more motivated I became.
    In addition, as I have lost weight, I am sleeping better, I have more energy and I am enjoying hearing my wife tell everyone she meets how much better I look with the weight off.
  • littlemount
    Options

Truly this quote and reading the book "secrets of a former fat girl" is motivating me.
  • jclheidbrink
    Options
    I know that it's cliche to say that 'imagining myself at my ultimate goal weight' is what motivates me, but it really is what gets me going. It's not as much as how I would look like as compared to how I would feel. I've never been comfortable walking around the beach in just a bikini. Also, I'm 18. I'm young. My metabolism is faster than it will be 20 years down the road - so why not start looking/doing/feeling my best NOW? The earlier I start with my healthy lifestyle, the easier it is to pick up. And so far, I am loving it.

I know I'll get to my goal one day, and stay there. And just seeing myself cross that finish line is enough motivation for me to keep this lifestyle up :)
  • quietlywinning
    quietlywinning Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    It isn't motivation. It is that voice that a parent has to use with their children - tell yourself to just do it. There isn't any magical motivational tool that people can use, it has to be you. Just make yourself do it. You are the one that chooses to turn off that alarm and roll back over, or, you are the one that chooses to get your tired butt out of bed and to the gym. If you just don't enjoy the gym, you can work out other places too, there are videos, walking, etc.

Agree. I have learned in life that I can't wait around to FEEL motivated. If it needs to be done, I need to get up and do it, regardless of how I feel about it. Once I start, either motivation kicks in to see it through, or momentum carries me through anyway, and I have the accomplishment - which is motivating for the next goal.
  • KristieGonzales
    Options
    I get up everyday at 5am and get to the gym. When I first started, it was sooo hard! But I put some great, upbeat music on my iPod, got myself some clothes that I am really comfortable in to wear to the gym and I just make myself go. I had to learn to put me first (which was really hard being a wife, mom of 3, sister, friends, blah, blah, blah...) I am the only person responsible for my health, my well being and, well, my life!

Now that I've been going to the gym regularly, now my motivation is that I can now shop ANYWHERE!!! I bought a dress at Target not too long ago that I thought would NEVER fit (and not in the "Women's" section). In the beginning I had to be my own motivation. Now that the inches are disappearing the compliments I receive from my friends and family keep the flame burning. My life has drastically changed! I used to have Type 2 Diabetes, wear an insulin pump 24/7, take depression meds and had to take sleeping pills. Now my body wakes itself up at 5am and I get up and go - even on dark, cold mornings when I'd rather sleep. I had to choose to stopped making excuses and just do it. Everyone has problems - physical, financial, emotional, whatever...but we can't let life control us! We have to control our own lives. I also believe God gave me one body to live in on this earth and it's my job to make sure I can live a life that brings joy and peace to me, my family and everyone around me.

Wow, didn't mean to rant on and on, but I'm excited to see the changes happening in my body, which is definitely making positive changes to my mind. Have a great day!
  • jamaka1
    jamaka1 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    what motivates me is working in the medical field i see so many ppl with diabetes, hrt disease & different illnesses that could be avoided. On my floor that i work its ortho & sorry to say but alot of the ppl who have surgery could have avoided this by not being overw8...... when u do surgery this last for 10 yrs if ur lucky so just imagine if ur young & have to go thru this Q10 yrs. Secondly, i love the results from a size 18 to 10. Thirdly, my daughter does this with me & i have 3 teenage boys who are into fitness to we all inspire each other. Find what wrks for u, just make small changes like doing the stairs at work instead of the elevator, park far away from the market, days ur unable to go to the gym use ur stairs if u have one ( take it 1 at a time, then challenge urself 2 at a time), I also get a HRM, last but not least I walk to the store instead of driving. good luck, u can do it
  • vmrink
    Options
    Since my weight loss started by accident, it's that loss that motivated me to put some effort into it. What has kept me at it is finding exercise/workouts that I loved doing. Shockingly it was a workout dvd and the schedule that came with it. Knowing what I had to do every morning gave me something to look forward to. Also, seeing my clothes hanging more loosely and seeing the weight go down is continuing to motivate me. I also don't follow a strict diet and usually eat ALMOST anything I want (with moderation). That definitely keeps me going because I don't feel like I'm on a "diet" or feel deprived in the least.