Heart Rate Monitor Dilema...

Options
So I want to get a HRM this weekend and I am confused......Does it really matter if I buy a $200 dollar one or a $50 dollar one? I mean obviously I am not going to get all the bells and whistles with an expensive one and I am not needing a Garmin one with the GPS......... I just want something simple to help me know how many calories I am burning when I work out, and not estimate with a calculation.

Opinions Please!!!!!

Replies

• Kany
    Kany Posts: 336
    Options
    *bump - i want to know this too.
  • jscimeca123
    Options
    I bought mine at Walmart for $30 and it works perfectly!
  • getyupcowgirl
    Options
    I bought a Polar F6, after alot of research and I love it. Polar seems to be the most accurate.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    if you wanted to start cycling, would you go out and buy a $3000 bike with all the bells and whistles, or would you tune up your old mountain bike for $75, and just wait and see how into it you got?

go with a beginner HRM for now. i bought a $60 HRM as my first, and it was a simple timex. punch in age, height, weight, and heart rate info. it works fine. besides, if i need a gps tracker that sends info to my computer, i use my phone.
  • rebysue
    rebysue Posts: 136
    Options
    Go to a site such as Amazon.com and check out the reviews on the HRMs. Make sure you look at the number of reviews as well as the number of stars. This will give you a pretty good idea of what brands are reliable and some models that are in your price range.

I have a Timex that I paid around $65 for and I have loved it. The favorite around here seems to be the Polar brand.
  • jolynn0830
    jolynn0830 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've had the basic "Polar" brand for over a year and have never had a problem with it. It was recommended to me by a cardiac rehab nurse. It always reads very closely to the heart rate hand monitor on my elliptical so I'm assuming it is very accurate. I ordered my on line and I believe is was around $30.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    So I want to get a HRM this weekend and I am confused......Does it really matter if I buy a $200 dollar one or a $50 dollar one? I mean obviously I am not going to get all the bells and whistles with an expensive one and I am not needing a Garmin one with the GPS......... I just want something simple to help me know how many calories I am burning when I work out, and not estimate with a calculation.

Opinions Please!!!!!

Well, HRMs do not measure calories--they estimate with a calculation.

Within those limitations, you can spend a certain amount to get a brand that will do a little better job of estimating, or you can spend money on a brand that is only making a rough guess. Sometimes buying "cheaper" is a false economy.

If you are uncomfortable with the idea that HRMs, even under the best of circumstances, are only making 80% accurate estimates and cannot be used for non-aerobic activities, then I would recommend the brands that are known to be more accurate--i.e. Polar, Suunto--rather than completely throw away $$ on a lesser brand.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Go to a site such as Amazon.com and check out the reviews on the HRMs. Make sure you look at the number of reviews as well as the number of stars. This will give you a pretty good idea of what brands are reliable and some models that are in your price range.

I have a Timex that I paid around $65 for and I have loved it. The favorite around here seems to be the Polar brand.

Except that the average Amazon reviewer is not qualified in any way to assess the accuracy of the calorie estimating feature, which is the OPs primary concern. From that standpoint, the Amazon reviews are worthless--less than worthless, actually, since they will be completely misleading.
  • istalkzombies
    istalkzombies Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    they have a 30$ one at walmart that works perfectly
  • danizaga
    danizaga Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    i just got a Polar FT40. it's not the basic model it cost about $121 and it got the uplink $49 so i could upload my data to the website. so far i like it and it's working well for me. the reason i got it was because i did want to calculate my HR and calorie burn more effectively.
  • PrettyLittleLiar79
    Options
    Touche'!!! LoL!!

Thanks for the advice :happy:
  • PrettyLittleLiar79
    Options
    if you wanted to start cycling, would you go out and buy a $3000 bike with all the bells and whistles, or would you tune up your old mountain bike for $75, and just wait and see how into it you got?

go with a beginner HRM for now. i bought a $60 HRM as my first, and it was a simple timex. punch in age, height, weight, and heart rate info. it works fine. besides, if i need a gps tracker that sends info to my computer, i use my phone.

Good Point!! Thanks! :smile:
  • nlm314
    Options
    I use the Polar RS300 and it works great. Whatever you go with, just be aware of what you info you want it to provide. I typically don't buy the cheapest option or the most expensive option. Mine was around $150 and I don't regret the purchase. Reputable brand and nice features. Doesn't have ALL of the bells & whistles, but has everything that I need.