cruise food

Options
I am going on my first cruise! Sooo excited, but nervous about the amount of food that is readily available. I have looked over the food menues and such. I am determined to make this wonderful vacation about memories with my family and NOT food. Does anyone have any experiences they would like to share??

Replies

• jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I gained like 8lbs in 6 days on my last cruise.
  • kaycee526
    kaycee526 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I would advice staying away from the buffets and going to the places where they prepare what you order. That is what I did on my last cruise and it really helped. Also, pick one meal a day that you will make really light. I did it at breakfast. I made myself eat a yogurt everyday for breakfast and that was it so I could indulge a bit more at other meals.
  • AEB_WV
    AEB_WV Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Make use of the excercise facilities!
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    I second the advice to avoid the buffets when possible, it's just so hard to limit quantity at a buffet!

I also second using the gym. Plus, there's just something really cool about using an elliptical while sailing on the open ocean, or gliding into a port, with the window right in front of you. Feels like you're powering the ship, lol!
  • kctbo
    kctbo Posts: 29
    Options
    I went on my first cruise back in March. I had the same feelings. I did not want my vacation with my family to be about food. Trust me, when I got there, the food was "Enormous and LOTS of it". I made good decisions on the fruit bars and salad bars. I would allow myself treats because another thing, the ship is big and I walked alot to make up for the pizzas and burgers and whatever else I decided would be okay. I did not go overboard on the eating-I had already shrunk my stomach so that was easy. I am proud to say that I did not gain-did not lose but most importantly did not gain.
    The ship has exercise rooms, I would get up before my children and get in a hour of workout....then walking all day....
    It can be done. Do not be scared. Enjoy-wish I was going again now. Maybe next year.

Sorry for the rambling, but hope this helps.:tongue:
  • luvgreen25
    Options
    I've been on 4 cruises and lost weight on each one. My last cruise - I didn't deprive myself of anything. I had breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks, as well as dessert every night! Not to mention the beverages...that's my weakness - I love those fruity drinks in the fancy cups. :love: Yes, there is food available 24 hours a day, but use the boat to your advantage. Use the steps instead of the elevator. Usually the top deck has a track, walk the track a few times. Stay active and enjoy yourself. I hope you love your cruise.
  • ChangingJojo
    ChangingJojo Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    The majority of cruise lines have some really nice healthy options that you can take advantage of.. and you do not feel deprived at all. It's all pretty and gourmet and usually served by a very cute waiter. :o) I highly recommend going to your seatings at breakfast and dinner if that is offered by the cruise line you are going on. That way you avoid the buffet. :o)
  • kristilovescake
    kristilovescake Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I went on a cruise for my honeymoon and gained almost 10 pounds (the diet/healthy eating was completely out the window)! I agree with trying to stay away from the buffet and try to go to the restaurants. Also if you do go to the buffet, eat a HUGE salad before you eat lunch or dinner so you won't eat as much other food. Also, make sure you bring exercise clothes for the gym. I totally forgot to pack mine, so our only exercise was to just walk around the deck a few times and walk around the ports of call.
  • Fitnin6280
    Fitnin6280 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Yes there is a lot of food, but there also a lot of ways to work out. The last cruise we went on, there was a track for walking/running, a pool, dancing, and of course there were the shore leaves. My hubby and I opted to take a bike tour at one of our stops. It was the best way to see the sights and we got in a 13 mile bike ride! So I suggest you enjoy the food in moderation, but look for fun ways to work out!
  • riskqueen
    Options
    Have fun! It's a blast. At the buffets, I would eat veggies, fish or chicken without sauce on my first plate and then go back with a small plate for the "bad" stuff. Lots of times I wasn't even hungry for anything more. I only ate my dessert at dinner if it was amazingly delicious and I wasn't already full. We walked around a lot also after our excersions. Also, I took the stairs instead of the elevator and didn't gain an ounce. My hubby was annoyed by the end because everything is on a different level so we were on the stairs a LOT. He should have been happy because he lost weight.
  • kljan
    kljan Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I managed to get away with a 2lb gain the last cruise which I thought was great. I walked everyday, either around the deck, on the treadmill or on the tours. I had a controlled breakfast (milk, bagel, cream cheese or toast & fruit, etc.), generally skipped lunch or had a light snack-- there was an Italian deli on board where you could get cheese & crackers, and dinner usually had healthly choices, salad dressing on the side, no starch, etc. I indulged in what I wanted, wine, the cheese, an ice cream cone in the afternoon, etc.
  • msjamartin
    Options
    Just did a cruise in August. There are always a multitude of choices. For breakfasts/lunch we did do the buffets, but even there you can make good choices (i.e. breakfast I didn't do the omletes/greesy potatoes/pancake/pastries etc stuff. I grabbed fruits with some lean turkey and yogurt. and for Lunch I did salads with light dressing not the pizza/fried/grill/ items) For dinner we were in the dinning room and if one of the items was something I really wanted but not "healthy" I would choose that for one course and go healthy on the others. You want to enjoy your cruise and you might not have the opportunity to try some of these items again.

In addition, visit the gym! Yup the gyms are usually well equipped and the days I sea especially I would spend an hour working out, just like at home. They also have yoga, spin classes and other options (sometimes for a small fee). If you stay active, burning calories, the effects more food than normal can be minimized.

I did gain about 5 lbs in 7 days but they came off really quickly once home.

Oh can carry a water bottle. Every time I was anywhere near the food areas I would fill it up. The water is free after all.
  • sheila0321
    sheila0321 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I just went on a 7 day cruise.. You can eat as healthy as you choose to. They make cook to order omelets in the mornings. They always have fruit and Salad bars. You can ask your main Waiter at dinner to have you meals prepared with out oils etc. There was always a fish or chicken option. I hope this helps. :) Have a great time.
  • jojopel
    jojopel Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I was on a cruise ship last week and came back weighing exactly the same as when I left. I went to the gym when we were at sea and on port days, I walked considerably and/or swam, depending on the port of call. As for food, I would order an egg white omelet (at the buffet or in the dining room) and have some fruit. Lunch was a bit more challenging because we were out and about and couldn't necessarily eat. I purchased granola bars and almonds and brought them with me to hold me until lunch. When we were at sea, I would make myself a huge salad and add raisins and sunflower seeds or add some other protein. I usually chose the Spa option (lower calories, cholesterol and sodium) for dinner, but didn't worry about it too much if I didn't care for it. I also had dessert every night, which I don't do at home. More often than not, I was satisfied after a few bites and rarely finished my dessert. I also had a few drinks over the course of the week. The key is moderation. For the most part, I made good choices, but it wasn't perfect and I certainly did not feel deprived. Feel free to send me a message if you have any questions. Good luck!
  • 0PhAtDaDdY
    0PhAtDaDdY Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I am going on my first cruise! Sooo excited, but nervous about the amount of food that is readily available. I have looked over the food menues and such. I am determined to make this wonderful vacation about memories with my family and NOT food. Does anyone have any experiences they would like to share??

Plenty of good/great choices on a cruise, remember you do the chosing and you will be just fine...

Have fun,
    PD
  • christyrmc
    christyrmc Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your ideas and stories! I totally feel in control and know I can do this. I can't wait to power the boat on the eliptical while I stare at the ocean! The best of healthy choices to all of you today!
  • robinpickles
    robinpickles Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    they have lots and lots of choices... just make good ones.... =)

also.. take your video camera, (or phone camera) and record yourself walking the deck... go all the way around maybe even a few times... then bring the recording home and play it on the tv while you walk (my treadmill has a video screen) and then you can always walk about the deck!!!! =)

Enjoy have fun!!!!!!!