Are children a right?

Options
Grimmerick
Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
Do you think people should be able to have as many children as they want regardless of if they can afford them or not? This is hypothetical so I am not talking about situations where people had their children when they could afford them and then lost their jobs. I mean a situation where you want to have a child or children that you know you can't afford and you will need assistance. To me a lot of people feel it's their right to have children whether they can take care of them or not. Thoughts? lets keep this a civil debate, all opinions welcome.

Replies

• Hattie2879
    Options
    Simple answer: NO.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    No I absolutely do not think they have that right.

But I also don't think I have the right to say who can and can't have children, or how many.

So I'm stuck as far as this one goes.
  • MFPAddict
    MFPAddict Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    I see this one getting ugly, but I will jump in anyway. No, children are absolutely not a right. I personally find it appalling when couples on government assistance continue to grow their family.

I have one daughter and would have loved to have a second child. It was an extremely tough decision for my wife and I, but we decided against it. Finances were not the only factor, but it was definitely a big factor.
  • terrellc1
    terrellc1 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    If you can't feed...don't breed.
  • ElizabethObviously
    Options
    Honestly no I don't think people should have as many child as possible if they can not afford it. Why would you have a child if you can not take care of it properly? I get sick when I see people who on government aid with 4 or 5 children. I have actually heard a woman say something about having more children so she'd get more tax return money. What kinda people think like this???

I think people should be responsible and know how many children they can afford and when enough is enough. But the sad thing is you have alot of young mothers getting pregnant, alot of small town kids where sex is the only thing to do...and they just don't know better.
  • shanolap
    shanolap Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    NO! Children are overrated. I absolutely love my son but it wasn't a joy ride along the way.
  • redefiningmyself
    redefiningmyself Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    While I think its important to use discernment and think beyond your own wishes when making important decisions like that.... a bigger question is do you want someone else to have the right to make that decision for you? What about the government... are you feeling ok with the government dictating whether or not you have children or how many??

I know I don't want others deciding what's best for me or my family.
  • OfficialPR
    OfficialPR Posts: 1,610 Member
    Options
    If you can't feed...don't breed.

Co-Sign!
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    No, no, no, no no, and what else...oh yeah, no.

But in all seriousness, children should not be a right. Sure, some people have the ability to have children, but not everyone should have them. Now, that's not to say if it's and unexpected pregnancy and you can't afford it that you should just give the kid up or have an abortion if you're willing to try. But I think it's horribly irresponsible to decide to have children if you KNOW you can't support them financially. You just don't deserve to have kids.
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    Ummm, why is this a topic on a weight loss website? ... walking away too.

Because this is the chit chat, fun, and games forum.
  • skinnybearlyndsay
    skinnybearlyndsay Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Just because we can make and have babies doesn't mean we should. This will probably make people mad, but whatever...I think someone is incredibly stupid and naive if they think having a child when you have nothing will solve all your problems. You'll still have nothing...plus an extra mouth to feed and person to clothe. I really think people who continue to have children when they don't have money should be sterilzed.

My $0.02...
  • MFPAddict
    Options
    NO! Children are overrated. I absolutely love my son but it wasn't a joy ride along the way.

:laugh: Not the type of response I would have expected
  • MFPAddict
    Options

EXACTLY!
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options

Ummm because this is the "chit-chat, fun, and games" section?
  • killerqueen17
    killerqueen17 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Why are you posting this here?

I am sure there are a good number of people on here who have kids and are also receiving government aid. How do you think they feel reading this? Not everyone on food stamps/welfare is a leech on the system. The economy is bad, have you noticed?
    I mean a situation where you want to have a child or children that you know you can't afford and you will need assistance. To me a lot of people feel it's their right to have children whether they can take care of them or not.
    I'm actually in the process of applying for food stamps myself, since my husband was laid off... and yet, if I were to become pregnant right now, I would certainly keep my baby, knowing that I would also need assistance. And yes I do feel I have a right to do so.

Seriously, this is not the place for a conversation like this. Go take an ethics class or something if you must have this debate.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options

We should hang out. I love my daughter and I am proud of her every day, but getting here was hell. Children are not a right, and I hate that we don't know if we're going to like having them until we already do.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

Nor is this really a weight loss website.
  • ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I do believe in keeping a small government, but people are stupid so it is not always possible. My mom worked for WIC for several years and now works at a public heath center and tells me all kinds of stories. It is terrible how people breed without a care and say " I am doing the best I can", I don't care what your best is, sometimes it just isn't good enough. Short answer, having children is a privilage, just becasue you have working parts does not mean you are fit to be a parent.
  • JustEllieK
    JustEllieK Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I know two families. One guy recently married a woman older than him that already had three children. But he wanted some of his own. He cannot even afford to provide for the three she had, he now has three of his own working on a fourth. Where this becomes a problem....

I know another family. They have i believe 5 or 6 children and there are rumors that another one is coming. Who really know. Problem is, their youngest two ages 2 and 5 i watch at work. They come in with dirty diapers, messy matted hair that smells. They are always dirty, hungry and tired. The 5 year old is not even potty trained yet. They youngest who is a little over two is almost like a newborn. Both of their social skills are certainly not up to par with what they should be. The two year old just stands around like a newborn just watching. Most two year olds will interact, hence the overused term terrible twos. This might be okay for one child that is below the levels, but all of them have social skills and educational skills that are sadly incredibly below their age level. Why? Because the parents cant even afford to take care of themselves yet only God knows why they want a handful of kids they cannot provide for.

My answer, if you cannot afford to support them it is certainly not an issue of having children because of love. More so a brag right.
  • MFPAddict
    Options
    Why are you posting this here?

I am sure there are a good number of people on here who have kids and are also receiving government aid. How do you think they feel reading this? Not everyone on food stamps/welfare is a leech on the system. The economy is bad, have you noticed?

I'm actually in the process of applying for food stamps myself, since my husband was laid off... and yet, if I were to become pregnant right now, I would certainly keep my baby.

Seriously, this is not the place for a conversation like this. Go take an ethics class or something if you must have this debate.

No one said everyone on food stamps/welfare was a leech on the system.

And this is the chit chat forum. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this conversation.