Weight is not coming off

Options
If anyone would take the time to look at my diary and let me know what I am doing wrong. I am 5'4 and 116, I was 118 when I started. I used to eat whatever I wanted, mostly it was junk. I would eat a whole bag of hersheys drops a day... I've stopped all of that and am working out now but things aren't changing much. Am I not doing enough? Am I expecting change too soon? HELP!

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    http://www.rush.edu/rumc/page-1108048103230.html

You may not want to hear this but you are in a healthy weight as it is now. In fact, you are more on the low end. I would stop watchin weight and work on building more muscle and getting rid of body fat.

One thing that does help, reduce you carbs to 40% of your calories and increase your protei to 40% of your calories.
  • aspencer122
    aspencer122 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I am no doctor but it might be that you are right around where you should be for your height. that is the only thing that I can see. If your doctor said you should loss more weight you might want to ask him what he suggest.
  • aprilbriann
    Options

You may not want to hear this but you are in a healthy weight as it is now. In fact, you are more on the low end. I would stop watchin weight and work on building more muscle and getting rid of body fat.

One thing that does help, reduce you carbs to 40% of your calories and increase your protei to 40% of your calories.

REALLY?? NO that is good news! Do you know of any resources where I can find out how to do these things best?? I don't have much knowledge on this!
  • aprilbriann
    Options
    I am no doctor but it might be that you are right around where you should be for your height. that is the only thing that I can see. If your doctor said you should loss more weight you might want to ask him what he suggest.

No a Doctor didn't say that! I guess I associate weight with fat??? I don't feel huge or anything just unhealthy and flabby!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options

REALLY?? NO that is good news! Do you know of any resources where I can find out how to do these things best?? I don't have much knowledge on this!
    For muscle building, your best option is to join a gym and take advantage of a few sessions with a personal trainer, if you can afford it. They will show you the proper way to use the weights and machines and can help you put together a fitness plan.
  • amberl10
    amberl10 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I think you are in the right weight range. Try focusing on strength and toning and not necessarily losing weight.
  • aprilbriann
    Options
    I think you are in the right weight range. Try focusing on strength and toning and not necessarily losing weight.

I'm doing the JIlian Michaels 30 day shred.. is this enough or should I be doing more??

Also, what amount of calories should I eat to maintain but lose fat?
  • aspencer122
    Options

No a Doctor didn't say that! I guess I associate weight with fat??? I don't feel huge or anything just unhealthy and flabby!

THen you need to workout and eat moer. Protien if you can. as long as you are eating and working out you should stay around that weight but loss fat and gain muscle. I would say for you I would measure myself more then worry about the scale. You will go up and down on that but as long as you can see the inches go on "in the right places" like muscle then you are doing it right.
  • aprilbriann
    Options

THen you need to workout and eat moer. Protien if you can. as long as you are eating and working out you should stay around that weight but loss fat and gain muscle. I would say for you I would measure myself more then worry about the scale. You will go up and down on that but as long as you can see the inches go on "in the right places" like muscle then you are doing it right.

Any idea whats good as far as measurements for me!?
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    That's really hard to say because it's going to be based on your body shape. I'm personally 5'3" and weigh 125. My measurements are 31.5 - 27 - 35. That is almost as small as my bust area will go because I have a very large ribcage (for which I can thank my dad). My waist will never be small for the same reason.

You're really at the point where you probably won't shrink a lot more but you can firm up. It's the jiggliness that gets most of us, not the size, right? I really think doing some weight work is going to be the best thing for you, but doing cardio (like the 30DS) is also a very good idea. Ideally, you want to alternate days: cardio Mon, Wed, Fri and weights Tue, Thur, Sat with Sunday off. Or the opposite days. If you don't have access to weights, invest in some resistance bands and do a Google search on the exercises you can do with them.
  • aspencer122
    Options

I mean like measure where you are at now and then go from there. Worout what you want to look nicer like arms or stomach then see if you lost or gained. The reason why I say measure is because since you are right at goal weight you might not see any changes in your weight. (you might even see a gain) that is more then likely because you are lossing weight and gaining muscle. That is what happened to me. I lost a lot of weight then started to "Flat line" on the scale. so i had to start measuring so I didnt go crazy with seeing the scale stay the same or go up.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    You don't need to lose weight. You would be underweight if you lost more than a couple of pounds.

I am 5'5" and 35 inch bust, 28 waist, 35 hips. I have quite a big waist and narrow hips compared to most people, genetically. I would say for your height you should be looking at 27 or 26 inch waist, unless you are an apple shape like me.
  • ivy2009
    Options
    You should NOT weigh less than you do. I will be blunt. If you obsess too much about this at this low weight you are at, you may need to consider psychological issues about weight. BE HELTHY. EAT HEALTHY. EAT ENOUGH.
  • aprilbriann
    Options
    You should NOT weigh less than you do. I will be blunt. If you obsess too much about this at this low weight you are at, you may need to consider psychological issues about weight. BE HELTHY. EAT HEALTHY. EAT ENOUGH.

That's really rude. I in no way obsess. I have just been told by a trainer that I needed to lose 5 more and I was getting aggravated that it wasn't budging. Thankfully these wonderful people let me know that I'm at a good weight.

Thanks for trying to help but you don't know me well enough to make those assumptions.
  • aprilbriann
    Options
    You don't need to lose weight. You would be underweight if you lost more than a couple of pounds.

I am 5'5" and 35 inch bust, 28 waist, 35 hips. I have quite a big waist and narrow hips compared to most people, genetically. I would say for your height you should be looking at 27 or 26 inch waist, unless you are an apple shape like me.

Thanks for this! I am gonna wait to measure for the first time in the morning since I read that is best!
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options

You should probably read all of the replies before jumping in like this.
  • aprilbriann
    Options

I mean like measure where you are at now and then go from there. Worout what you want to look nicer like arms or stomach then see if you lost or gained. The reason why I say measure is because since you are right at goal weight you might not see any changes in your weight. (you might even see a gain) that is more then likely because you are lossing weight and gaining muscle. That is what happened to me. I lost a lot of weight then started to "Flat line" on the scale. so i had to start measuring so I didnt go crazy with seeing the scale stay the same or go up.

I have noticed a slight gain b/c I never worked out before. I really appreciate all of your help and advice. Excited to start measuring!
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options

That's really rude. I in no way obsess. I have just been told by a trainer that I needed to lost 5 more and I was getting aggravated that it wasn't budging. Thankfully these wonderful people let me know that I'm at a good weight.

Thanks for trying to help but you don't know me well enough to make those assumptions.
    I wonder why the trainer told you so...maybe you have a very small frame? not much muscle to begin with?

I have seen "skinny fat" people, particularly in my race. They are very small boned and with very little muscle. Of course they don't weigh much either :)
  • aprilbriann
    Options

You should probably read all of the replies before jumping in like this.

Thanks!
  • aprilbriann
    Options

That's really rude. I in no way obsess. I have just been told by a trainer that I needed to lost 5 more and I was getting aggravated that it wasn't budging. Thankfully these wonderful people let me know that I'm at a good weight.

I wonder why the trainer told you so...maybe you have a very small frame? not much muscle to begin with?

I have seen "skinny fat" people, particularly in my race. They are very small boned and with very little muscle. Of course they don't weigh much either :)

I AM a skinny fat person! HAHA! Not really. I think my size is great! I just am very unhealthy b/c I've had three children ( one that is just 1) and never ate right or worked out. Luckily somehow I have never really gained past 120 ( when not preggo ).

The trainer said that 110 is still a healthy range for me? Who knows!