Too few calories...?!?

Options
My intake indicates I'm consuming too few calories (not occasionally, but on a rather regular basis - several days in a row, several days a week). I eat breakfast every morning, bring and eat healthy food for mid-morning and mid-afternoon snacks, enjoy a huge salad with proteins at lunch, and finish the day with a well-rounded dinner. My intake should be around 1500, but on workout days (5 days a week), I'm coming in way under.

I understand why this isn't desirable or healthy for my weight-loss goals. I want to reach the 1500 calorie mark every day, but I'm eating bulky foods (whole grains, vegetables, lean proteins) and just am NOT hungry for more.

Besides adding a couple beers or martinis (... yum ...), what suggestions do you have for consuming a few extra hundred calories a day on workout days? More snacks? And if so, what kinds?

Love to hear what kind of advice my healthy, active MFP friends can provide!

Replies

• vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Nuts, peanut butter, avacado, banana...
  • carpar1
    carpar1 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Nuts.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    chocolate martinis!!!!!!! lol we can dream, can't we!!

Peanut Butter, nuts, cheese and olive oil are all high calorie healthy foods. And a square or two of dark chocolate isn't bad for you either. Or glass of milk or full fat yogurt. Just a few ideas:)))
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    cheese 3 oz is like 200 calories or something
  • jamielise2
    jamielise2 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I would say some nuts, or string cheese. I like having a good snack about an hour to hour and a half before my workout, and then a high protein snack (like a luna bar) afterward. That has helped me. Some days you won't get there, but you need to regularly be at least over 1200 NET total for the day.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Nuts, peanut butter, avacado, banana...
    This as well as adding olive oil to soups and sauces
    eat full fat versions of foods (no diet or lite food)
    have a glass of juice in place of a glass of water
    nut butters are great
    eat/drink higher % Milk products such as cheese, yogurt and milk i.e. switch from skim to 2% milk.
  • neurochamp
    neurochamp Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Yogurt! Especially plain yogurt with fresh fruit added (I also like to add a little honey for sweetness, and sometimes some nuts for a little crunch). It's high protein, low fat, and full of calcium, vitamins, and it's great for your digestive system:

http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/recipes/healthy-eating/nutrition/health-benefits-of-yogurt/?page=1
  • GouchisGirl
    GouchisGirl Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    You could drink a protein shake. Or possibly eat some apples and peanut butter, or a handful of granola.
  • cherryObebe
    Options
    So many people are listing 'good fats'! YAY! These are some amazing ways to not only boost your calories, but increase your monounsaturated fats (replace the saturated ones with these when possible) to lower bad LDL cholesterol and actually RAISE the healthy HDL!

Almonds, Avocado, Brazil nuts, Cashews, Filberts (hazelnuts), Macadamia nuts, Nut butters, trans-free: almond butter, cashew butter, peanut butter (smooth or crunchy), Oil: canola, olive, peanut, Olives, black, Olives, green with pimento, Peanuts, Pecans, and Pistachios
  • BhanGoes
    BhanGoes Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I've been on the avocado-a-day diet for a while now. (I recommend it. So delicious....)

I will definitely start adding more nuts. Previously, they were just my "emergency food" -- the stuff I keep in my purse, car, and desk drawer in the event I start getting hungry and a meal is too far away for whatever reason. Almonds in particular aren't overly filling so I can definitely see squeezing in a couple servings (mid-morning and mid-afternoon) for a few hundred extra calories.

Thanks everyone! I KNEW you'd pull through for me!
  • Teamsharon
    Options
    Great job on tracking your calories and staying healthy. I would suggest bumping up your protein portions. It's a great way to add lean calories, build muscle and that helps you burn fat and get lean. Keep up the great work!
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    As always it would be helpful to see what your eating and your body type to know more. Also talk to your doctor about a good diet plan, it may be that you don't have to eat 1500 calories, or maybe you do, or maybe you need to eat more?

Anyway, Just eat more. that's all. I'm sure you can do it. Avoid unhealthy foods, don't use alcohol to make up your deficit. It will not be very good for your body. I eat a hand full of cashews when I'm hungry and need a quick snack, and so far it keeps me feeling full for much longer then chips or other junk.
  • cheeksv
    cheeksv Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I like almonds but, never realized just how high in calories they were so be careful there make sure to measure. . Nuts in general though are good, also like others said avocado does the trick. If I find I am low on cals and still hungry with no will or time to make more food I just go for a protein powder or drink.
  • cherryObebe
    Options
    Great job on tracking your calories and staying healthy. I would suggest bumping up your protein portions. It's a great way to add lean calories, build muscle and that helps you burn fat and get lean. Keep up the great work!

This is also sage advice!
  • blueyeb
    Options
    Protein shakes may help if you are eating healthy already and just aren't hungry and ditto what all the others said :-) Great suggestions!