Dispelling the Water Myths..

Options
13»

Replies

• davionbandit
    Options
    True enough.

Another mistake people often make when counting their water is the 8 - 8oz glasses. Most people don't realize how little 8 ounces is. Me, 1 bottle of Diet Green Tea (16.9oz) = 2 glasses of water. And my husband hates plain water, says it tastes bad. I told him, 4 bottles a day, put whatever flavor you want in it!

@deanadimples - Yep, it takes A LOT of water to OD

It works.
  • nixickle
    nixickle Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I think there is a little confusion here....it is true that we get water from all foods and liquids, regardless of what type of drink it is, and yes everyone probably does get enough fluids into their body on an average day. However, health professionals recommend water as the preferred choice to help flush out other toxins from the body, it is not all about hydration. Some drinks are so full of toxins that choosing only to drink them can damage our bodies in other ways. Diet sodas and teas and coffees can play havoc with our teeth and livers if too much is consumed. The idea is to have everything in moderation. I love my coffee, but I limit myself to 2 cups maximum a day, I also drink 2-3 litres of pure water per day and green tea on a night-time. I know I am an anomily here as water is my preferred drink; I find squash too sweet, diet sodas too gassy and too much coffee gives me the shakes! Plus I am probably drinking slightly too much water as too much can also be bad! It starts to flush out all the good nutrients too.

So returning back to these water 'myths' I would just like to clarify that really all the research says is that yes we do require a lot of fluid in our bodies (they are afterall made up of 50-70% water) and yes we can get this water from foods and other drinks, BUT water is the preferred choice to drink for many reasons other than hydration.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I think there is a little confusion here....it is true that we get water from all foods and liquids, regardless of what type of drink it is, and yes everyone probably does get enough fluids into their body on an average day. However, health professionals recommend water as the preferred choice to help flush out other toxins from the body, it is not all about hydration. Some drinks are so full of toxins that choosing only to drink them can damage our bodies in other ways. Diet sodas and teas and coffees can play havoc with our teeth and livers if too much is consumed. The idea is to have everything in moderation. I love my coffee, but I limit myself to 2 cups maximum a day, I also drink 2-3 litres of pure water per day and green tea on a night-time. I know I am an anomily here as water is my preferred drink; I find squash too sweet, diet sodas too gassy and too much coffee gives me the shakes! Plus I am probably drinking slightly too much water as too much can also be bad! It starts to flush out all the good nutrients too.

So returning back to these water 'myths' I would just like to clarify that really all the research says is that yes we do require a lot of fluid in our bodies (they are afterall made up of 50-70% water) and yes we can get this water from foods and other drinks, BUT water is the preferred choice to drink for many reasons other than hydration.

+1

I just wanted to add that I don't drink diet anything...not because of some fear that it will make me fat, but because I prefer to limit the amount of weird chemicals that enter my body. I don't really care if they make me fat or skinny, I would prefer all my internal organs to be healthy and working properly without the need to "flush out the toxins" because I had too much artificial this or that and chemicals I can't pronounce go through my system just so I could taste something liquid that was more appealing that pure water at the time.
  • skinnnyxoxo
    skinnnyxoxo Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    When the scale doesn't move, you know who to blame.
    :tongue: Don't take it personally.
  • alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    Options

+1

I just wanted to add that I don't drink diet anything...not because of some fear that it will make me fat, but because I prefer to limit the amount of weird chemicals that enter my body. I don't really care if they make me fat or skinny, I would prefer all my internal organs to be healthy and working properly without the need to "flush out the toxins" because I had too much artificial this or that and chemicals I can't pronounce go through my system just so I could taste something liquid that was more appealing that pure water at the time.

Absolutely, I don't argue either of these points about the health benefits of straight water or not wanting other chemicals in your body that are included in soda, drink mixes, etc. That's certainly your prerogative if you want to "drink clean" and not have those things. The point of my post is however unchanged, and that is while you've made that choice it doesn't mean that someone else who has chosen they don't mind having those other chemicals in their body suddenly can't count those other drinks as part of their water intake. So when someone asks, can I count this bottle of green tea I just drank in my water intake, the answer (as backed by common sense, logic and science) is simply "Yes you can". Now if they asked if drinking green tea was the same as drinking straight water on the other hand, again science logic and common sense would dictate the answer is "No, it's not the same".

The reason doctors prefer straight water to "flush you out" (which is a misconception and not actually what they say) is because your body doesn't have to do the work of digesting or filtering those other chemicals. Your kidneys are responsible for filtering out waste, and that process requires water. Drinking more water doesn't somehow magically push more waste out of your body, it allows your kidneys to work more efficiently. As long as your hydrated anyway, taking in additional water isn't going to change how waste is transported to your kidneys. In the end, it truly is all about hydration.