whey protein help? (not a repeat topic, i searched!)

i know you looked at the title of the thread and said, "really? haven't we talked this to death?" but i searched topics and didn't find what i needed. I'm attempting (ha.) to adapt myself to a lower carb lifestyle. I'm hypoglycemic, and i had a lot of sugar crashes this summer and really struggled. so i found a plan that i like; the women's health perfect body diet. a bunch of the smoothie recipes and some of the baking recepies call for whey protein powder. the powder i've seen is pretty expensive, and i'm not sure i'm comfortable eating something that comes out of a can like that. is there a "real food" alternative to whey? in smoothies, i'll use extra egg ala. Orange Julius (makes it frothy, and i'm not really worried about salmonella) but that isn't an option for the baking. do i just need to bite the bullet and buy some whey? thoughts? ideas?

Replies

• aaleigha1
    aaleigha1 Posts: 408 Member
    I actually use soya islolate powder as its so high in protein one scoop has 78 cals and 17g protein
    and the whey powder for the same amount has some carbs and has more calories

I do a vegetarian low carb diet and its going really well
  • Hey I would suggest use Greek yogurt in your smoothies..its loaded with protein. As for baking I don't really know. I hope this helps ya a little bit.
  • lynheff
    lynheff Posts: 393 Member
    I have used whey almost every day for the last 4 years 'cause my surgeon wants me to get 60 grams of protein a day and that gets me off to a good start. I use Designer whey cause it is low in carbs and I am hypoglycemic and because I prefer the taste. I don't like the taste of soy. Just find a brand you like. Hope that helps.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    I use a vegen protein powder and add it to everything for protein boosts. I tried to get there naturally, but just found it really difficult. 99% ff turkey is a very effiecent calorie to protein source . . . but I'm not really into turkey shakes and brownies.
  • Why are you using protein powder? Do you work out a lot - weight training or anything like that? If not, I would suggest skipping out on the powder. The avg diet has more than enough protein for non-athletes or body-builders... anything extra is stored as fat if you don't burn it off.
  • Buckeyt
    Buckeyt Posts: 473 Member
    I just looked at your diary. Your protein goal is 59 grams a day. At that level there should be no need for supplementation.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Why are you using protein powder? Do you work out a lot - weight training or anything like that? If not, I would suggest skipping out on the powder. The avg diet has more than enough protein for non-athletes or body-builders... anything extra is stored as fat if you don't burn it off.

Unused protein first converts to glucose, then if that isn't used, it's converted to fat, which is SUPER UBER RARE.
  • stefchica
    stefchica Posts: 257 Member
    if you want to go the healthier route, you can get organic whey, otherwise, it usually comes in powder forms since most methods pretty much dry it out of, whats leftover, the milk. if you want to find ANOTHER high protein source there are soy powders that are pretty good, otherwise hemp powder has some protein in it but also has fiber and other nutritional benefits, but you will get that grittier texture from the plant. greek yogurt is a good source of protein too.... those are all that i know of so:

soy protein powder-probably baking, but i would look into it, smoothies
    hemp powder-smoothies
    greek yogurt-smoothies and baking
    quinoa flour-baking

besides meat of course, those are good sources
  • istalkzombies
    istalkzombies Posts: 344 Member
    There's a few different types of protein powder alternatives such as egg white, rice, soy etc...
  • Why are you using protein powder? Do you work out a lot - weight training or anything like that? If not, I would suggest skipping out on the powder. The avg diet has more than enough protein for non-athletes or body-builders... anything extra is stored as fat if you don't burn it off.

Unused protein first converts to glucose, then if that isn't used, it's converted to fat, which is SUPER UBER RARE.

Yes, but either way it is excess calories if it's not needed, so why add it unless you're doing something with it?
  • missheidi
    missheidi Posts: 465 Member
    ya know, i hadn't even thought of just leaving it out. i'm a dork.
  • TK421NotAtPost
    TK421NotAtPost Posts: 512 Member
    Why are you using protein powder? Do you work out a lot - weight training or anything like that? If not, I would suggest skipping out on the powder. The avg diet has more than enough protein for non-athletes or body-builders... anything extra is stored as fat if you don't burn it off.

Yes, but either way it is excess calories if it's not needed, so why add it unless you're doing something with it?

Well that would be a different argument or point that you're making. I don't think anyone here thinks that excess calories will not eventually lead to weight gain. We have to eat either protein, carbs or fats... why make protein the culprit when out of the three macronutrients, it is the most difficult to convert to fat?

But getting back to the original point, I think the OP was very clear in why she wanted to increase her protein levels.

To the OP... although it may seem like whey protein powders are expensive, if you calculate the cost per gram of protein, it's actually one of the cheapest sources of protein available. Have you looked into Optimum Nutrition's 100% whey? A 5 pound tub (149 servings, 24 grams of protein) is about $45 on amazon.com.
  • brucedelaney
    brucedelaney Posts: 433 Member

That's a big if, on this website most people are eating at a caloric deficit so it would never be excess calories.
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    can you sub in cottage cheese (curd and whey) when baking? i don't know what you would have to cut back on to make the consistency right though.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,446 Member
    can you sub in cottage cheese (curd and whey) when baking? i don't know what you would have to cut back on to make the consistency right though.

I have been successful supping yogurt in biscuits for buttermilk. I don't know if cottage cheese would work.

Well that would be a different argument or point that you're making. I don't think anyone here thinks that excess calories will not eventually lead to weight gain. We have to eat either protein, carbs or fats... why make protein the culprit when out of the three macronutrients, it is the most difficult to convert to fat?

But getting back to the original point, I think the OP was very clear in why she wanted to increase her protein levels.

To the OP... although it may seem like whey protein powders are expensive, if you calculate the cost per gram of protein, it's actually one of the cheapest sources of protein available. Have you looked into Optimum Nutrition's 100% whey? A 5 pound tub (149 servings, 24 grams of protein) is about $45 on amazon.com.

Yes, I agree that your calories have to come from somewhere, but the point I was making is that wasting calories on protein powder when you don't really need it, instead of eating real food, is pointless.... I am not against protein powder - I use it in shakes that I drink after working out on the days that I have athletic training/boot camp, but I skip out on it most other days because I can eat more food that I like instead of a powder.
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member

Yes, I agree that your calories have to come from somewhere, but the point I was making is that wasting calories on protein powder when you don't really need it, instead of eating real food, is pointless.... I am not against protein powder - I use it in shakes that I drink after working out on the days that I have athletic training/boot camp, but I skip out on it most other days because I can eat more food that I like instead of a powder.

Your unsupported, and highly personal and debatable, value judgements about what constitutes "wasted" calories and the benefits of whole foods vs protein powder have been noted.
  • trelm249
    trelm249 Posts: 777 Member
    Getting this thread back on track.

You are trying to satibilze your blood sugar. This is a good thing. Your diet is certainly apart of that.
    Consistent exercise is awesome for regulation of blood sugar. Consistently tracking your food intake will go a long way in helping with that effort. I had a look at your diary, if not here please track it somewhere.

You appear to be on a low calorie diet from my perspective, which is fine as long as that is consistent with your metrics. Consistently including quality lean protein in your meals and snacks will help lower the cumulative glycemic index of that meal intake. Avoiding starchy carbs is very helpful (even whole wheat pasta can miss with someone exhiting some insulin resistance cause spikes followed by crashes).

I struggled with similar occurences and normailzed my blood sugar by exercise, getting more quality lean protein, cutting starchy carbs and getting more fibrous vegetables.

May your efforts be fruitful.
  • missheidi
    missheidi Posts: 465 Member
    Thank you very much! yeah, i know my logging is spotty at best. i used to be way better about it. one reason i like using smoothies and so on is that i can add more protein to stabalize my sugars, and i can sip on them throughout the morning instead of having one meal before lunch. since i'm a substitute teacher my schedule is different from day to day; my lunch could be as early as 1030 or as late as 145, and i don't always have an appropriate time to have a snack. scheduling (and committment, i'm sure) have hijacked my exercise routine as well. this is also in progress. i'm within my healthy weight range, but i would love to drop about 10 pounds. but more than that i need the crashes to abate.
    Getting this thread back on track.

You are trying to satibilze your blood sugar. This is a good thing. Your diet is certainly apart of that.
    Consistent exercise is awesome for regulation of blood sugar. Consistently tracking your food intake will go a long way in helping with that effort. I had a look at your diary, if not here please track it somewhere.

You appear to be on a low calorie diet from my perspective, which is fine as long as that is consistent with your metrics. Consistently including quality lean protein in your meals and snacks will help lower the cumulative glycemic index of that meal intake. Avoiding starchy carbs is very helpful (even whole wheat pasta can miss with someone exhiting some insulin resistance cause spikes followed by crashes).

I struggled with similar occurences and normailzed my blood sugar by exercise, getting more quality lean protein, cutting starchy carbs and getting more fibrous vegetables.

May your efforts be fruitful.