Newbie at Yoga

Options
So one of my friends got a Living Social deal for 20 yoga classes for $20 a bunch of us gal pals are going to the classes, but I have a confession to make....

hello, my name is Andie, and I have never done yoga before!

I'm super nervous, I'm more of a zumba and ellipitical lady myself...so any pointers or tips or words of encouragement would be greatly appreciated so i won't look like a complete cotton headed ninny muggins!

Replies

• Umpire57
    Umpire57 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Breathe!

Best addition to any workout routine you can add!
  • limismith
    limismith Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    To keep your balance, find a spot on the wall/ceiling/floor to focus on. If you look at the person in front of you, or your own reflection you will wibble-wobble all over the place!

It takes a couple of times to get the flow.... so if you can, try it a second time!

And when in doubt- childs pose :)
  • lizsmith1976
    lizsmith1976 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Just breathe and just do what you can. I just started this January and it has completely changed my life. It is fantastic exercise and makes you feel great. Just be ready to use lots of muscles you have never used and some you didn't know you had... :) If you keep going you will see that you get much better very fast. Don't be intimidated by the pose names you don't know. Any good instructor will talk you through it. Try and do beginner classes, but don't be surprised to see some "experts" in there.
  • journiemateio
    Options
    Yoga is really beneficial for everything. My advice is, if you can't pull a move off as well as you'd like, don't force your muscles into it. Just adapt the move to what you can do, and don't be afraid to stop part way through one if you feel like you can't hold it. A friend and I do yoga at home, and there's mostly a lot of falling over and giggling, but it's made my life so much better. I do yoga in the mornings to loosen myself up and calm my mind before I start my day, and all the breathing techniques help. It's great that you're trying it!
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,784 Member
    Options
    You won't be the only new person in the class.

People expect to be "good" right away. This rarely happens. Imagine if you started soccer, on a team where everyone has played for a year, you wouldn't expect to be at their level, right?

Try a couple of different classes to find one that fits you. Some are more movement orientated, some are static, some are breath work. Most of the time, you need to find the right teacher.

Have fun!
  • kyylieeeeee
    kyylieeeeee Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Everyone else in your class will have been a yoga newbie at some point in their lives, too! I find that in yoga class the last thing I concentrate on is other people-- the whole point is focusing inwards. So don't be worried if you think you're looking silly while trying to figure something out, because no one will notice. Except the instructor, who is there to guide you and help you.

Also, I recommend taking a gentle Hatha class first, so that you can get a slow and relaxing introduction to some of yoga's basic poses and breathing techniques.

You don't need to be flexible for most poses, because it's all about being as deep in the pose as YOU can go, not how bendy the person next to you is.

Good luck, hopefully you will love it!
  • psmd
    psmd Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Before class starts go up to the instructor and introduce yourself, and tell them you're new. Likely she'll make sure to explain everything and that you're getting the poses. Yoga is awesome, I need to get back to it!