It can't just be me...

Options
But I swear, I am addicted to processed, simple carbs. Not the way people SAY they are, but in a rehab kinda way. The effect that they have on me is worrisome. If I eat them, I get lethargic until they are fully digested...but then I want more. When I keep them in my diet, I feel DOWN (even if I am losing weight) and so depressed. If I cut them out, I think about them constantly for the first few days. After that, I am okay. Better than okay. I am happier, nicer, more energetic, clear-headed, etc. Plus, the weight drops off so much faster.

Most of my family (okay, my ENTIRE family) is pretty much diabetic. I wonder if I have some insulin issues going on, because it feels EXACTLY like a drug would.

OR, is this just a normal reaction to white sugar/flour/crap food? Anyone?

Replies

• RuthAne
    RuthAne Posts: 130
    Options
    This is exactly how I felt before I cut sugar and carbs from my diet.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I had read once that carbohydate addiction is related to alcoholism, that feeding the two addictions activiates the same place in your brain. I don't know if it's true or not, but it sure does feel that way to me. I love simple carbs, and they make me feel so gross.
  • MIMITIME
    MIMITIME Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    With a history of diabetes in your family you really should get your blood sugar checked by a doctor just to make sure. And no, it isn't just you. I love carbs and have to work really hard to stay away from them as much as I can. I do agree the more carbs you eat the more you want and it is hard to break the cycle.
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I can relate, except maybe my cravings are not as severe as yours. About once a week (or less), I binge on something sugary and processed. Of course I do it in secret or very discreetly. Since I eat very low carb, the effects of the binging is kind of a high. I don't hate myself for eating chocolate candy or bread one day a week, and I am steadily losing 1-2 pounds a week. I am not worried at all.
  • Beastette
    Beastette Posts: 1,497 Member
    Options
    I feel like that...when I tell people my favorite food is ice cream, and I had to stop eating it, they say "Ooh, willpower". But that wasn't willpower. Willpower is eating a normal, human-sized portion and putting the rest back. People don't understand when I say: I can't eat that. I CAN'T. They just say that one cupcake won't hurt. Nobody smokes one crack rock, or smokes half a cigarette, do they? I love the alcoholism analogy. The next time someone tries to force dessert on me, I will ask if they also try to force a recovering alcoholic to drink a martini!
  • Beastette
    Beastette Posts: 1,497 Member
    Options
    I get my blood sugar checked, and my dad is a doctor. He suspects I have "controlled" diabetes, because of my weight and exercise, he says it won't show up. But if I really gained weight and kept it on, it would pop up. That is his theory.

Giving in to the craving only fires up the need, unfortunately. I privately call it "feeding the monster". If I withhold simple carbs, the cravings go all quiet after a few days. But if I feed that monster even one cookie, cookies are all I can think about.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,311 Member
    Options
    If you ever feel like asking "is it just me...?" No, it isn't.
  • 5kforme
    Options
    I can completely relate! When I binge on cookies, cake, bread, etc, I feel like my blood gets sluggish, and I have no energy. So much for the quick carb energy fix.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    I had read once that carbohydate addiction is related to alcoholism, that feeding the two addictions activiates the same place in your brain. I don't know if it's true or not, but it sure does feel that way to me. I love simple carbs, and they make me feel so gross.

That makes sense, especially since both alcohol and simple, processed carbs both are "sugars".

The reason why you want more and more and more is due to the insulin rollercoaster your putting your body on.

They only way to break that addiction is to not feed it. It will never go away as long as you keep feeding the addiction. It is the same as someone who is a drug addict or an alcoholic.