Stomach: Sagging skin or just fat? And how do I get rid of i

Options
I've lost about 140lbs over the past 5 years, going from 390 to 250 or so and size 40 to about size 18. I've noticed a lot of things are fiming up, which is good. But one thing that is bothering the crap out of me is my stomach! It looks like a mailbag with a strap in the middle fi you know what I mean...it hangs! I can see where it's lifted and firmer from the pelvis line, so it's no longer hanging over my pelvis, and when I lay down I can feel firm muscles in my stomach. But this "Thing" this "monster" is just hanging there and covering it all up! And I'd look sooo nice in my pants if this thing wasn't poking out like a camel hump. Is that tons of sagging skin, fat, or both?

No, I'm not going to post a photo of it, but I'm sure somebody knows what I'm talking about. I do tons of crunches, ab work I learned in a pilates class, hip rotations, anything that gets me that "feeling" to know I've worked my core and abs. What else can I do? Or do I just have to be patient and wait to burn off the extra fat and hope the skin snaps back? Anything I can do to speed any of it up?

Replies

• yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    It will snap back up to a point. The best you can do is lose as much fat under the skin. After that it's best to have surgically removed
  • mazza33
    mazza33 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Bump...hope you get your answer x
  • morganhccstudent724
    morganhccstudent724 Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    Someone told me this once and I don't know how true it is but it's what I go by:

Look at your hand palm down. Take the skin on the top of your hand and twist it. See how you can twist it and it doesn't really hurt. That's just skin. If you can take the skin on your belly and you can a.) twist it and b.) it doesn't hurt TOO bad...that's just skin. If you can't really twist it and it hurts, that's fat. But it's probably a mixture of both....

I don't know if it helps but it makes sense to me....IMHO.
  • richardholt2011
    richardholt2011 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    this is a big concern of mine for when i have got the weight down - find the idea of surgical removal more than a bit freaky. am told that rubbing yorself withcocoa butter helps......
  • PrettyLittleLiar79
    Options
    I am afraid I am going to have the same problem.....I once googled and found all kinds of lotions and stuff..But I dunno if it really works. I also saw, brace urself...Another solution that sometimes works is hemmeroid cream. I know, but logically if you think about it, it does shrink stuff.

I am also going to sometime try the It Works body wraps. I did one, but wasn't completely faithful.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Some of it is probably skin, but I'd say most of it is likely fat. The best way to tell is to gauge how thick or thin it is. Pinch the skin on top of your hand. That's what "loose skin" feels like. Now pinch the skin on your stomach in the same way. Don't grab your whole stomach, just pinch the outer layer. If you can grab a bit of loose skin there, but not much, then you've still got a lot of fat to lose.

The only way to get rid of that kind of fat is to keep working out and make your diet as clean as you can get it. People who have lots of fat in that area are typically "endomorphs" (look up "somatotypes" for more info), which means your body is more likely to burn the carbs you eat than the fat stored on your body when you work out. So limit your carb intake and do a lot of resistance and metabolic conditioning.

If, after you've exhausted all efforts, you just can't deal with it anymore, there's always surgery. But that should be a last resort as long as you are physically able to exercise and manage your diet.
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    This is what I was told by my doctor. That the skin will gradually "snap back" depending on your elasticity and how quickly you are losing the weight. (slower is better) Weight training will help because the tighter muscles help to "lift" the skin. That a person should wait 1-2 years AFTER they hit their goal weight and are maintaining for their skin to tighten. After that, if you still have the sagging then it most likely will have to be surgically removed. Also that staying hydrated is a big deal because its good for your skin! So drink up!

He pretty much told me that creams and special lotions were a waste of money, but I still buy them anyways...(I'm terrified of doing all this work, and being left with a "flap").....I couldn't really tell you if they're working though, everything looks the same to me. :0/
  • Tree72
    Tree72 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    I agree with NeuroticVirgo's post above, and am planning on following much of that advice myself. I've lost 80 pounds over the last two years (about 20 left to go), and definitely have some saggy stomach issues.

I will say that I have noticed a difference (improvement) in my skin since starting to use moisturizing lotion on a daily basis. I still have saggy bits when I pull my stomach muscles tight, but it's a much firmer and more even sag instead of the very wrinkly puckered look it had before. (I have very thin skin, and so ended up with stretch marks on top of stretch marks.) I just use the Palmer's cocoa butter lotion that I got at the grocery store for less than $6 a bottle. I think it's more about consistently moisturizing and maybe the increased circulation from massaging it in than about any particular ingredients.
  • Awake_Alive
    Awake_Alive Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    CarolinaMomma says to buy spanks a couple of sizes too small. It helps pull it all in.
  • FelizMi
    FelizMi Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Ok, I think it's mostly fat then. I'll keep working at it. Thanks for all the tips & info!
  • Hires113
    Hires113 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Some of it is probably skin, but I'd say most of it is likely fat. The best way to tell is to gauge how thick or thin it is. Pinch the skin on top of your hand. That's what "loose skin" feels like. Now pinch the skin on your stomach in the same way. Don't grab your whole stomach, just pinch the outer layer. If you can grab a bit of loose skin there, but not much, then you've still got a lot of fat to lose.

The only way to get rid of that kind of fat is to keep working out and make your diet as clean as you can get it. People who have lots of fat in that area are typically "endomorphs" (look up "somatotypes" for more info), which means your body is more likely to burn the carbs you eat than the fat stored on your body when you work out. So limit your carb intake and do a lot of resistance and metabolic conditioning.

If, after you've exhausted all efforts, you just can't deal with it anymore, there's always surgery. But that should be a last resort as long as you are physically able to exercise and manage your diet.