**Hypothyroid Support Group**

Options
I've been searching mfp for any kind of support group for those with hypothyroidism. I've found plenty of question threads but nothing actually organized in one place. So I've decided to start one myself. Think of this as a place where you can ask questions, post suggestions and toot your own horn or vent, pout and cry in frustration and be surrounded by people who understand your particular weight struggles. Any type of hypo is welcome! I personally have hashimoto's thyroiditis and have been hypo since i was 13. So come on in, tell your friends and let's get this hypo party started! :drinker:

Replies

• misslyssa319
    misslyssa319 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    so after one full week on my new meds i'm feeling like a new woman. my insomnia is gone most nights, i'm not needing to nap during the day, brain fog is clearing up and all around energy level is great. exercise wise the difference is amazing. since my joints aren't so achy i can finally do squats and lunges without pain the next day. and can do longer and harder reps. i'm actually going past my burn when before i would stop. since today is my rest day i'm gonna see what i can knock out on the treadmill. feels good to be getting me back!
  • dc_amaryllis
    dc_amaryllis Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Hi. Thanks for starting this support group. I found out I was hypo in 2008, when I was struggling to get pregnant. After just a few weeks on hormone replacement (levoxyl 50 mcg), I finally got pregnant. I never ever thought about my thyroid before. I think it should be standard test at yearly check ups because it's pretty common and many people don't know they have an issue.

I find it challenging to lose weight. It comes off very slowly. This site has been extremely helpful.

I have an appointment with an endo in a few weeks. I'm curious to see where my levels are at.
  • slieber
    slieber Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    I found out I was hypo almost two months ago. After an initial burst, I'm finding I'm back to square one. Working out but gaining, not losing, having brain fog again, and wanting to sleep a lot. I'm also having more painful cycles - weirdish ones. I'm on lowest dose of Levathroid. Had a blood test this week and will find out in about a week what's what.

Anyone else have this along with low T?

Thanks for starting this thread!!!
  • geekymom57
    geekymom57 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed about 3 years ago and have frequent variations in my TSH levels. I was stuck for weeks without losing anything and did end up finding out through a 3 month TSH level that my numbers were well outside of the "normal" range. For me the key is having regular checks, at whatever frequency my physician recommends, since my meds need to be adjusted pretty frequently.

I know that it doesn't prevent me from losing so I am sure that it makes it harder. I'm just glad that I don't have many/any other symptoms that would affect my day to day life in other more obvious ways. (But I probably ought to knock on wood when I say that!)
  • misslyssa319
    Options
    welcome all!

luckily i never had problems getting pregnant. i had 3 kids in 4 years! but i do have super bad periods. first two days i can have to take tylenol 3 to function and extra iron all week 'cus my flow is so heavy. amazing how one little thing can affect so many others...
  • misslyssa319
    Options
    the medication adjustment hair shedding has begun. oh joy...
  • KimmieSue2011
    KimmieSue2011 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I am actually hyperthyroid (for now) although the medicine gives me the effect of being hypo (gaining weight) and I may end up getting my thyroid zapped with radioactive iodine, which would make me hypo.

I have Graves disease and joined MFP to lose the 10 lbs I gained on methimizole. Thankfuly my body responded pretty well (I've been on it since January) and have reduced my dosage and am losing some weight. Some (not all ) of my pants fit, which is really what I want. Thanks for starting the group. I
    Kim
  • misslyssa319
    Options
    hope everyone had a good mfp week. if us hypos keep up the exercise and food logging we can get through this together one pound at a time! have a great weekend!
  • Jeannie5466
    Options
    I found out I was hypo almost two months ago. After an initial burst, I'm finding I'm back to square one. Working out but gaining, not losing, having brain fog again, and wanting to sleep a lot. I'm also having more painful cycles - weirdish ones. I'm on lowest dose of Levathroid. Had a blood test this week and will find out in about a week what's what.

Anyone else have this along with low T?

Thanks for starting this thread!!!

Hi, this 'crash' you're experienceing is common when you start your meds or infact uo them, I get the initial burst of energy for anywhere up to two weeks then I begin to feel tired and cold etc etc . However stick with it, keep getting your levels checked, it takes time to get to the correct for you dosage but when you get there life begins wholeheartedly again! Try not to get frustrated with it all as I know it can drive someone mad but it really does get better. I have had to accept I will always find it difficult to lose but so easy to gain and that I need to be aware of calories in claories out and get my butt in gear after years of being sedantry!
    I've just really started my weight loss journey but it's coming off slowly and with effort but I feel great and am really positive about the future.
    Keep going everyone we can and will lose :)
  • samhradh
    samhradh Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Thanks for starting this thread, not much time now i'll be back.
    Sam
  • kgraham101
    kgraham101 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's thyroiditis close to a year ago. My Endocrinologist just upped my meds again. Maybe now i'll be able to lose more weight. He is concerned my thyroid might be getting bigger. Hope meds help. Thanks for starting this thread. :)
  • kg1058
    kg1058 Posts: 26
    Options
    I'm also on the Hashimoto's slow boat to weight loss. Diagnosed over a year ago, and still fiddling with my meds. I'm curious - how many of you are taking Synthroid (brand) for your hypothyroidism as opposed to a generic? I had gained almost 30 pounds on the Synthroid (which my then-endocrinologist insisted I be on), actually took myself off of it because I hated the weight gain and the way I was feeling (even tho the endo said it couldn't possibly be the meds), and lost 20 of the 30, but then had to get back on something, so talked to my PCP about all of the anecdotal information I had found regarding weight gain on Synthroid, and he agreed to put me on the generic. 3 months later, I've had a modest weight gain of about 3-5 pounds total, and it seems to be working just as well as the brand - and it's a lot less expensive too. Anyone else have similar experiences?
  • efarrar13
    Options
    Hypo with something up with my pituitary gland as well. One month on Synthroid, MRI for pituitary next week.
  • misslyssa319
    Options
    I'm also on the Hashimoto's slow boat to weight loss. Diagnosed over a year ago, and still fiddling with my meds. I'm curious - how many of you are taking Synthroid (brand) for your hypothyroidism as opposed to a generic? I had gained almost 30 pounds on the Synthroid (which my then-endocrinologist insisted I be on), actually took myself off of it because I hated the weight gain and the way I was feeling (even tho the endo said it couldn't possibly be the meds), and lost 20 of the 30, but then had to get back on something, so talked to my PCP about all of the anecdotal information I had found regarding weight gain on Synthroid, and he agreed to put me on the generic. 3 months later, I've had a modest weight gain of about 3-5 pounds total, and it seems to be working just as well as the brand - and it's a lot less expensive too. Anyone else have similar experiences?

i've taken both over the last 25 years and haven't noticed a difference either way. interesting...
  • slieber
    Options
    Thanks for the booster of confidence. It's got worse in the past week. I have an appointment to get my blood results on Tuesday. I'll know then....
  • misslyssa319
    Options
    finally getting my energy back. did 80 minutes of kickboxing yesterday straight through! but i do kinda miss my afternoon naps...
  • slieber
    Options
    Doc's put me on double the amount of sythroid that I have been taking. Options were to either take the current dose with something for the T3 - to boost that level - or double the dose of synthroid and see how it goes. The T4 is better, but not at its best yet. My testosterone levels are great, though, with DHEA instead of any of that cream stuff. She was well impressed! :-)

And she answered loads of questions I didn't think to ask last time.

We'll see how this new drug amount works.
  • dc_amaryllis
    dc_amaryllis Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Doc's put me on double the amount of sythroid that I have been taking. Options were to either take the current dose with something for the T3 - to boost that level - or double the dose of synthroid and see how it goes. The T4 is better, but not at its best yet. My testosterone levels are great, though, with DHEA instead of any of that cream stuff. She was well impressed! :-)

And she answered loads of questions I didn't think to ask last time.

We'll see how this new drug amount works.

Good luck. I hope your new dose makes you feel better. Your doctor sounds wonderful.
  • LJGmom
    LJGmom Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Hi all so nice to find you! I joined MFP just this week. I have been hypo for almost 2 years now. I am feeling okay, lots better than the first year. I was on levo. But switched to nature-throid and added cytomel (compounded 100mg). When I added cyto. I finally started seeing the scales go down, just a little, so I am starting an exercise and diet program and hopefully can get 30 pounds off that have found me since diagnosis.

The only complaint I have is cytomel makes mybheart pound a little too fast, I am hoping my body will adjust, It can be a funny feeling.
  • jend114
    jend114 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Glad to have found this. I've been hypo since I was 12 but didn't start getting treated till I was 21 (almost 5 years ago)