Weight training for improving Athletic Performance

Options
Hey everyone
Im a 17 year old kid currently attending high school i was woundering if anyone was willing to share their program for improving their athletic physical performance. I am interested in all programs for any sport you are training for. This is for a research essay im currently doing. Thank you just leave it on the message board saying weight training as the title.

Replies

• michaud
    Options
    Hey everyone
    Im a 17 year old kid currently attending high school i was woundering if anyone was willing to share their program for improving their athletic physical performance. I am interested in all programs for any sport you are training for. This is for a research essay im currently doing. Thank you just leave it on the message board saying weight training as the title.
  • devena
    devena Posts: 9
    Options
    WHEN I WAS YOUNGER IN BETTER SHAPE PLAYING FOOTBALL, THE THINGS I FOUND THAT WORKED REALLY WELL WERE SHOULDER SHRUGS WITH STRAIGHT BAR, HANG CLEANS AND BENCH. DOING THE BENCH PRESS PEOPLE ALWAYS WANT TO HIT THE BIG HEAVY WEIGHT BUT IN COLLEGE COACH HAD US DOING MULTIPLE REPS SUCH AS 185LBS AS MUCH AS YOU CAN OR 225LBS AS MUCH AS YOU CAN. THE BEST ALL AROUND LIFT THAT HAS BEEN STUDIED WAS THE SQUAT, IT HAS A MUCH BETTER RESULT THAN ANY OTHER LIFT IT JUST TAKE WAY MORE TIME TO SHOW OR TO IMPROVE. DUMB BELLS ARE GOOD FOR CURLING, STAY AWAY FROM THE MACHINES THE WEIGHT LIES, UNLESS YOU HAVE A PROBLEM WITH KEEPING YOUR ARMS IN PROPER POSITION THEN USE MACHINES. ALL IN ALL HIGH REPS FOR TONING THEN HEAVIER FOR BULK. HOPE THIS HELPS, DONT FORGET A GOOD DIET WHEN WEIGHT TRAINING CAUSE WHEN YOU STOP OR TAKE A LONG BREAK YOU CAN GET A SAGGY CHEST.
  • zenmama
    zenmama Posts: 1,000
    Options
    My major interest is Kickboxing at 800 calories a class I would do it a lot more if I had the time to commit...not to mention the $$$....so for now it is once a week for that class once a week for a Zumba dance class and I run/walk and some weights and other odd workouts..reps...when I was in Middle school and HS I was played volleyball, basketball and ran track.
    dd
  • Smilineyes
    Smilineyes Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    When I was younger and actually in shape I played volleyball and basketball and there was a weight training class at my high school that was just for people who played sports. We did everything you can think of with weights. Rotate legs, shoulders/back, chest/arms, abs, and have a free day where you work whatever you feel you need. We did squats, dead lift, cleans, bench press, curls, lunges, crunches, incline stuff, lateral raises, calf raises, dip, I mean everything! For those two sports, and really for any sport it's good to do overall training. Legs and abs definitely helped the most for volleyball and basketball though. I'm now a basketball coach for high school girls and I wish every single girl I coached would weight train. It helps so much!

Kelsey
  • deanea
    deanea Posts: 1,437
    Options
    To actually type a whole program on this page is way too much work for me. You constantly change your workout up so your muscles don't get used to it . Sometimes it's light weights, sometimes it's heavy and both of those effect how many reps and sets done, depending on the day depends on the muscle group worked and the types of exersices done. Your muscle groups have different muscles in them...three triceps, minor/major buttocks, four quad muscles tec...., different exercises work different parts of the muscles. What exactly are you looking for re info. It would be easier to just give you the possible plans for one muscle group or very limited info on overall body.