Just Getting Started

Options
I just started this week in using this site and starting exercise. I haven't done any thing in regards to regular exercise in a long time and I have quite a bit or weight to lose. I noticed that others have posted their weekly workout schedules and are burning hundreds of calories in a class. I just bought a treadmill and have been walking a mile a day at a fairly good pace but it is hard. How long did it take most of you to build up to heavy workouts. I feel that I am barely moving, I know it is a start but I am looking for some great ways to build up. Did you find classes like water aerobics or Zumba to be a little easier to help get you in shape quicker?
Laura

Replies

• Justjoshin
    Justjoshin Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Everyone moves forward at their own pace. Push yourself, but don't hurt yourself in the early stages.

If you can get into some classes, that is of course great motivation and will help.

Work on your diet, and get used to eatting proper, that makes a huge difference both in energy level and weight loss.
  • raimevee
    Options
    Hey Congrats on starting your journey! Depending on where you're starting point is, the mile a day might be just what you need. I know that sometimes it's hard to be patient, but if you're body needs to shed some weight before beginning any vigorous exercise then let it. Trust me...you'll be glad you were patient in the long run when you don't have to take a break from your routine to let our body recover from any traumatic stresses endured from overexertion. Water aerobics is a safe and effective workout for almost any body type :)
  • rhae_18
    Options
    hello there. i too am very heavy set, i've lost 15 pounds total. 4 on my own and 11 since i started using mfp. i also still find it very difficult to do anything too vigorous. i find after 15-20 minutes i feel like passing out and like my heart will pound it's way out of my chest. lol. not a fun feeling. i try not to do anything too hard on my body. i also walk for half an hour at a time and do my best not overeat. it's been a slow weigh loss but any loss is better than no loss. i do plan to get into something more upbeat when i feel like my body can handle it better. but everyone is different and will lose weight differently. just keep doing what you're comfortable doing and eventually you'll be able to do more intense workouts. good luck!!!