Quinoa Recipes for newbie!

Options
Okay I admit it, I've never had quinoa but that is going to change soon! I bought some so now I just need to know what to do with it. Any tips welcome. I'd love some recipes! What is your fave way to eat it?

Replies

• lizsmith1976
    lizsmith1976 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    allrecipes.com has a FANTASTIC turkey quinoa meatloaf recipe that I love. I have tried cooking it by itself, boiling in chicken broth, various mixes with veggies, but this is the only way I like it. The texture is *different*. The meatloaf is the only way that I have liked it.

Make sure you rinse thoroughly if at all unsure it is pre-rinsed!
  • shannon_stallone
    Options
    You can sautee any veggies and mix them in with a little parmesan cheese and some fresh basil...I love quinoa yummm!
  • ronda_gettinghealthy
    Options
    I cook it according to the package and then just add whatever seasonings match the rest of my meal...sometimes I put cinnamon in for a sweet dessert, lemon pepper, curry, fajita seasonings... you can add some diced up veggies and cook it in broth for a totally different tast...if is so VERSATILE...enjoy experimenting
  • JesaGrace
    JesaGrace Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    same here.....I need ideas.....
  • SmugCanucksGal
    SmugCanucksGal Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    This summer I made a cold salad with it. Added diced up veggies (carrots, onions, zucchini, corn, peas etc) and Added Shrimp to it. Then for a dressing just a Zesty Italian. Add Some Fresh Spices, YUM.
  • bdurls
    bdurls Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Here is one of my favs:

1/2 cup quinoa
    2 cups water or broth
    1 tsp each curry powder, tumeric, ginger
    1/4 cup sliced cucumber
    1 tbsp diced onion
    1 tbsp pistachios
    1/2 cup chopped lettuce
    1 each lemon and lime wedge

Combine quinoa, water, turmeric, and curry in meduim saucepan. Cover and cook over meduim heat until half liquid is absorbed, about 15 minutes. Strain quinoa and place in bowl. Squeeze lemon and lime over quinoa and refrigerate to cool. When cool, toss with remaining ingredients.
    Makes 1 serving.
    383 cals
    9g fat
    64 g carbs
    7g fibre
    14g protein.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Check out the quinoa recipes on www.dailygarnish.com
  • saxtonw
    saxtonw Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am not a fan of brown rice, so I thought I wouldn't care for quinoa, but it is now one of my favorites! It has a great texture that isn't to whole-grainy for me. My favorite recipe is a mediterranean quinoa salad, with balsamic vinegar, a little olive oil, seasonings, onions, bell pepper, pine nuts and a sprinkling of feta cheese. Sometimes I eat it with nothing but just some spicy stone ground mustard mixed in, and/or balsamic vinegar, and I love it that way, too! I also mix a little in baked goods (muffins, bread) to replace about a quarter of the oats or other grains. It's really versatile! and can be used as a side dish in place of rice or pasta. The only way I haven't liked it is absolutely plain, and I really didn't like t quinoa flake hot breakfast cereal that I tried.
  • raimevee
    Options
    I too just began enjoying quinoa! Yesterday I did a little kitchen cleanout before going to the grocery store. I put cream of chicken soup w/ milk, diced tomatos, broccoli florets, diced onion, garlic, cooked quinoa (1 c simmered 15 min., let stand 5 min.), marjoram (an herb that is a little sweet with a little spice), coriander, and basil into the crockpot on low for about two hours. It was awesome and only about 220 cal/serving!
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I cook it in chicken broth and mix in sauteed onion, bell peppers, and mushrooms. Tasty.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I use it pretty much the same way I use rice. Anything I cook that uses rice can also use quinoa as a substitute.
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Quinoa Salad
    1 cup quinoa
    2 cups water (or chicken broth)
    1-2 avocados, diced into cubes (depending on taste or availability)
    6-10 scallions, thinly sliced
    1 can black beans
    1 can corn
    1 can Rotel (I used the kind with cilantro and lime juice)
    lime juice (however much tastes good to you, it also helps stop the avocado from browning)
    cilantro (optional)
    salt and pepper
    To cook the quinoa: bring 2 cups of water (or broth) to a boil. Add the quinoa. Turn heat to medium and simmer for 12-15 minutes, or until all the water is absorbed. Fluff with a fork. Let it cool for a while before you add all of the other ingredients.
    Add all of the ingredients to the quinoa. Salt and pepper to taste. Chill and enjoy!

yum yum :)
  • Christinichka
    Christinichka Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I can't wait to try my Quinoa tomorrow for dinner. Now I just have to choose which yummy dish to make.
  • ExtremePHIT
    Options
    along with adding anything to it, cook it using low sodium chicken broth, it gives it an awesome taste.