Biggest Loser competition at gym

Options
Has anyone done it? Or do you know somebody who has?

I signed up for my gym's biggest loser and it starts October 6th and is about two months long. Any advice?

I'm really nervous, but I'm not sure why. I mainly joined as a way to get focused and stop slacking off, but it would be awesome if I actually lost a good amount of weight. I'm afraid everyone is going to be losing a huge percentage of their weight and I'll lose maybe 5 lbs, which would be pretty embarrassing.

EEkk.. nervous.

Replies

• cdngirl71
    cdngirl71 Posts: 2,707 Member
    Options
    I wish my gym had something like. Great way to stay motivated!! I am sure you will do great!!
  • kristilovescake
    kristilovescake Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    It's kinda expensive, but includes personal training and a meal plan and group classes.. but I'm hoping the fact that I paid to do it will keep me motivated too!
  • candicole007
    candicole007 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I am currently doing one at my gym. I don't know how yours will be, but with our program, we have weekly weigh-in's, the winners (one male and one female, based on percentage, not pounds) for the week get to choose mani, pedi, mini massage, dry haircut, etc. The overall winner gets 350 bucks, 6 months gym membership, and some other stuff, and 1st - 3rd runners up get stuff too, just no money. We have several group training sessions a week, and are encouraged to go to the other classes (I LOVE Zumba, and never would have tried it if it were not for this). We have people we can call for help, a dietician, personal trainers, and the gym owner. No one gets "voted off".

Honestly - this is the best thing that's ever happened to me. I have learned that I am tougher than I thought I was...that everyone else at the gym is fighting their own battles too so no worries about going....all kinds of stuff. I've made friends I never would have met. It's amazing. I highly recommend at least giving it a try - you never know what you might learn about yourself :)
  • KnottyNCrotchety
    Options
    Has anyone done it? Or do you know somebody who has?

I signed up for my gym's biggest loser and it starts October 6th and is about two months long. Any advice?

I'm really nervous, but I'm not sure why. I mainly joined as a way to get focused and stop slacking off, but it would be awesome if I actually lost a good amount of weight. I'm afraid everyone is going to be losing a huge percentage of their weight and I'll lose maybe 5 lbs, which would be pretty embarrassing.

EEkk.. nervous.

Losing 5 pounds is never something to be embarassed about. Get as much as you can out of the experience and be happy with whatever progress you make. It is possible that this will such a shock to the system, so to speak, that you will lose a ton or none at all. The experience of learning new things, pushing your boundaries by working outside your comfort zone and trying some new things is always a WIN.
  • kristilovescake
    Options
    I am currently doing one at my gym. I don't know how yours will be, but with our program, we have weekly weigh-in's, the winners (one male and one female, based on percentage, not pounds) for the week get to choose mani, pedi, mini massage, dry haircut, etc. The overall winner gets 350 bucks, 6 months gym membership, and some other stuff, and 1st - 3rd runners up get stuff too, just no money. We have several group training sessions a week, and are encouraged to go to the other classes (I LOVE Zumba, and never would have tried it if it were not for this). We have people we can call for help, a dietician, personal trainers, and the gym owner. No one gets "voted off".

Honestly - this is the best thing that's ever happened to me. I have learned that I am tougher than I thought I was...that everyone else at the gym is fighting their own battles too so no worries about going....all kinds of stuff. I've made friends I never would have met. It's amazing. I highly recommend at least giving it a try - you never know what you might learn about yourself :)

That's great! I'm not really sure about my program for prizes. I know the winner gets $500, but I'm not sure about runner-ups or anything. I think we also have access to group classes and nutrition classes, but seriously I have no idea! I was just suckered in by a friend since I told her if I didn’t lose 15lbs by the end of September then I would join with her. Glad that you’re enjoying yours, it makes me a little more excited and thinking that I really will enjoy it. Are you seeing results?
  • candicole007
    Options
    Yeah I paid a pretty penny, and that has encouraged me to participate. I'm like "ok, I did not spend all that money to sit at home while other people get in shape" - and if I place, I get some free months at the gym so it's like getting my money back :)
  • candicole007
    Options
    I started tracking on MFP in August when I started the program - so I've lost 17 pounds since then. I have gone down 2 pants sizes, and when I suck in really hard (ha!~) I don't have that little flap over my hysterectomy scar anymore so yay! I still have a long way to go, but yes, I am definitely seeing results
  • kristilovescake
    Options
    Nice! I'm going to give it my all. I should calculate how much weight I need to lose to beat the person that lost like 60 or 80 pounds and won the last competition. It would be the extra bit of motivation to see what different % of weight loss would get me on the last competition's list. Might be the extra little kick to lose an extra pound. Just need to remember that when I'm at the gym next!