Vanilla Almond Milk?

Fatchickslim
Fatchickslim Posts: 396 Member
Hi there, we don't have unsweetened Vanilla Almond milk in our part of the world, what would be a good alternative? I want to try the recipe on here for the starbucks pumpkin latte as they don't make them here either and I would love to try one! Would vanilla soy be a good alternative?

Replies

• Yes, that should work fine! How do you make one, it sounds yummy
  • you could also drop some vanilla extract in you almond milk and like a tsp of sugar or sugar substitute thats whats in the vanilla almond milk im sure
  • lottycat
    lottycat Posts: 333 Member
    Are you from the UK? You could use the unsweetened almond milk (they sell it in Holland and Barrett) with a teaspoon of vanilla essence, or yeah. as you say I'm sure vanilla soya milk would be fine. (But almond milk is delicious!)

If you are from the UK, have you found tinned pumpkin anywhere? I keep finding amazing recipes that call for tinned pumpkin.... It's no where to be found in our shops. Booo
  • Fatchickslim
    you could also drop some vanilla extract in you almond milk and like a tsp of sugar or sugar substitute thats whats in the vanilla almond milk im sure

I haven't even found regular almond milk!
  • Fatchickslim
    Are you from the UK? You could use the unsweetened almond milk (they sell it in Holland and Barrett) with a teaspoon of vanilla essence, or yeah. as you say I'm sure vanilla soya milk would be fine. (But almond milk is delicious!)

If you are from the UK, have you found tinned pumpkin anywhere? I keep finding amazing recipes that call for tinned pumpkin.... It's no where to be found in our shops. Booo

Nope New Zealand and haven't seen tinned pumpkin ever! going to have to make it the old fashioned way I'm afraid!
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    If you have a good blender, you can make your own. :)

Soak 1 cup raw almonds in 2 cups water for 8 hours. Drain and discard water. Pour almonds in blender. Add 3 cups fresh drinking water. Blend til very smooth. Strain (cheesecloth is good).

If you want it a little sweet, you can add medjool dates (1-3 to taste) and vanilla. :)
  • Fatchickslim
    If you have a good blender, you can make your own. :)

Soak 1 cup raw almonds in 2 cups water for 8 hours. Drain and discard water. Pour almonds in blender. Add 3 cups fresh drinking water. Blend til very smooth. Strain (cheesecloth is good).

If you want it a little sweet, you can add medjool dates (1-3 to taste) and vanilla. :)

Have you tried this ? just wondering if its like the real thing?
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Yep. I made one batch and realized I don't have a good enough blender. Once I get something more powerful like a VitaMix, I plan to exclusively make my own.

You can search YouTube for tons of how-tos. And this IS the "real thing"! :)
  • Fatchickslim
    Awesome thanks! Will have to give this ago!