UK to USA Food Swap

Options

Replies

• sweebeesmom
    Options
    I love swaps!! I live in Los Angeles, California.. and have access to some British Imports at specialty stores, but always like trying new things. I also have access to a lot of things too to mail out. I think I just liking giving and receiving packages in general. Please add me if interested :)
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Marmite RULES!!! Toast isn't toast without Marmite, and the squeezable Marmite has been the highlight of the decade for me!!

BUT at Christmas I sent some along with Twiglets for a friend in America, she did NOT like it and says she can STILL taste it, lol! :laugh: it is good for you though...

Be warned, posting things to USA isn't cheap - I sent the same friend a bottle of Vimto the previous year and it cost me about £17!!!! :noway:
  • KittyMul
    KittyMul Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Sent you a message and what is Marmite anyway? ;)

It's a mixture of melted rubber, brussel sprout, and ground down fish bones. Some people think it tastes good enough to spread on toast to eat, everyone else just uses it as a cheap alternative for tar.

It's revolting - don't go there.

(Marmite crisps, on the other hand are fantastic)

btw - it's a spread made from vegetable extract
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marmite

Vegemite is totally better. Just saying.

Totally agree.......Love Vegemite and cheese sanga........also yummy if you add lettuce to that.........

The lunchbox classic! Toasted cheese and vegemite sarnies are even better, they always remind me of coming home from Saturday sports in winter, cold and wet, and warming up with hot Milo and Vegemite toasties.

But still... white toast with butter and vegemite and a cup of tea - this will always be my comfort food!
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    there are LOTS of places in the Uk where you can get US groceries..and I know when I lived in San Francisco and New York City there were literally hundreds of ex-pat shops selling UK goods like Heinz Beans and mars bars etc at 5 times the price! I am lucky that I fly to the states often and load up with marshmallow fluff, but my American friends just go crazy about Branston Pickle, it's a staple at the tailgate before every single 49ers home game :-)
  • McPenguin
    Options
    Oh... I thought this post would be about what the eqiuvalent UK items are for some of the US foods mentioned (eggbeaters, cilantro(?), something(?) dash).... sorry, I forgot some of the names...

But I would be interested in this too....

I would love to try the skinny cow or high protein (Kashi ?) bars that everyone talks about.... or PB2 (I love peanut butter!)

I'm not sure what anyone would want from the UK though...

:) Cute list! Some of it will be a little difficult though to send... just saying. eggs and ice cream will probably spoil on their way to you!

1) eggbeaters - are just eggs that have all been cracked and blended, and put in a carton (like a carton of milk). No shells. Sometimes you can get just the "egg whites".. and have no yolks to deal with if you have cholesterol problems.

2) cilantro is the same spice as coriander. It's the leaves, while I think coriander is from the seeds. Either way... they are interchangeable in some recipes. I'm allergic to it, and was told by the allergist that they're the same, and to stay away from both. So, if you've got coriander, you're good there.

3) Mrs. Dash? Is that what you meant? I think that's a US spice, and could be sent with no problems. As long as customs labels don't get labelled as food, it would get to you okay I think.

4) skinny cow - is a low fat, pre-portioned ice cream. I don't know how to get it home from the grocery store without it half melting, let alone over the ocean. :**( But, skinny cow is low in fat, but still contains sugar. So the verdict is out for some people on eating it anyway.

5) Kashi bars - totally do-able!
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I had an Australian friend send me a box with Vegemite (truly disgusting), Caramello Koalas (yummy), Tim Tams (delicious) and Peppermint Crisp (amazing!). You can find a lot of international stuff at World Market, (that's where I buy Kinder Bueno and Kinder Country). I would like to get some Jammie Dodgers as I've been unable to find those around here. Not because they sound good or anything, just because we like Doctor Who and what if we need to bluff some Daleks one day?
  • sneezles
    sneezles Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    cilantro in the US is fresh coriander in the UK...cilantro being the Spanish word.

Egg Beaters are just egg whites though the original has coloring or colouring
  • darklord48
    darklord48 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    2) cilantro is the same spice as coriander. It's the leaves, while I think coriander is from the seeds. Either way... they are interchangeable in some recipes. I'm allergic to it, and was told by the allergist that they're the same, and to stay away from both. So, if you've got coriander, you're good there.

While Cilantro is from the same plant as Coriander, the flavors are different. You are correct in US terms, Coriander is the seed of the Cilantro plant. There is a dried Cilantro that could be shipped overseas, similar to Oregano and Thyme, it is dried and must be re-hydrated to release the full flavor.
  • stefnicole
    Options
    Sounds interesting. I wouldn't mind sending some tasty US treats!
  • PorcelainPirate
    Options
    For anyone still enjoying crisps/chips in moderation, I know that a lot of the flavours are different between the UK and US. I have a friend in the States I swap Pringles flavours with.
  • jennarandhayes
    jennarandhayes Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I'm a Cali girl currently living in the UK. I am seriously missing wheat thins, triscuits, nutrigrain waffles, corn tortillas, Teddy Grahams, Clif "Twisted Fruit", Kix, Sugar-free Rockstar, Thomas' English Muffins, Nutter Butters, Stove Top, Morningstar Farms products, Boca products, and I am dying to try the new Tapatio Ruffles/Doritos! Maybe it's a good thing I'm here, my cravings are largely unhealthy, but man I'd eat any of that right now. Who is going to be my pen pal!?
  • sneezles
    sneezles Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I'm a Cali girl currently living in the UK. I am seriously missing wheat thins, triscuits, nutrigrain waffles, corn tortillas, Teddy Grahams, Clif "Twisted Fruit", Kix, Sugar-free Rockstar, Thomas' English Muffins, Nutter Butters, Stove Top, Morningstar Farms products, Boca products, and I am dying to try the new Tapatio Ruffles/Doritos! Maybe it's a good thing I'm here, my cravings are largely unhealthy, but man I'd eat any of that right now. Who is going to be my pen pal!?

Shame I didn't know sooner going to be in Ireland for 2 weeks but baggage is already at excess. I thought there was anAmerican store in the London area and know for sure there's one in Aberdeen. Will be your food pal after we return if you are interested though Morning Star Farms wouldn't ship well.
  • jennarandhayes
    Options
    Awesome! We have a shop called Ameri-candy and they sell mostly candy, soda, and cereal (they don't have kix), but they do carry a few shelf items like marshmallow fluff, jif, strawberry cake mix, etc. I've seen Stove top stuffing but it's Sage flavoured. It is really hit or miss there. I'd love to have a food buddy!
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I was over in another town today at an Oktoberfest. I just happened to be wandering around and spotted a store called "All Things Bright and British". I said to myself, "Self, I bet they have Jammie Dodgers in there." And I was right! So now I don't need those. But I still am interested in trading for chips/crisps. Because cheese & onion, cheddar cheese and bacon and smoky bacon crisps sound like something I need to eat.

Also, they had Cadbury Drinking Chocolate there. Is this something I should be having? Because it sounded quite tasty.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    A Canada-USA swap would be good too! Canada doesn't have Cherry Coke Zero, Crystal Light Fruit Punch Flavour and Cheesecake Flavour Sugar-Free Jello for example but I try to pick up a bunch of random groceries 1x a year while on vacation in Florida.

Question for those on the eastern side of the pond, do you still have Jelly Tots over there? They are by Roundtree even the UK version. They discontinued them in Canada about 10 years ago and they were the best candy ever!!!

Anyone have a craving for Canadian candy wanna swap?
  • bbjlan
    bbjlan Posts: 6
    Options
    Just wondering if you found anyone to swap foods with yet? I am America yet I live in Germany and I have full access to most American foods!!! Before I lived in Germany, I live in the UK- in Peterborough, England, so there are some English things that I miss!!! If you haven't found a foods swap buddy yet, maybe we could give it a go?!
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options

Jelly Tots!!!!
  • marianne_s
    marianne_s Posts: 986 Member
    Options

Jelly Tots!!!!

Lol.... I was just eyeing those up in the supermarket....

I can send those.....
  • marianne_s
    marianne_s Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Hiya everyone,

I've had a think and I mainly want to try the kashi protein bars and pb2....

Can anyone help me out?

I'm in London, UK.... anyone want anything from here?
  • jennarandhayes
    Options
    I was over in another town today at an Oktoberfest. I just happened to be wandering around and spotted a store called "All Things Bright and British". I said to myself, "Self, I bet they have Jammie Dodgers in there." And I was right! So now I don't need those. But I still am interested in trading for chips/crisps. Because cheese & onion, cheddar cheese and bacon and smoky bacon crisps sound like something I need to eat.

Also, they had Cadbury Drinking Chocolate there. Is this something I should be having? Because it sounded quite tasty.

Ahhhhhh...are you in my hometown!? I'm from La Mesa and my parents live right around the corner from "All Things Bright and British!" La Mesa has an awesome Oktoberfest, I miss it so much.