Is it OK to have negative net calories?

Options
I have been striving to have negative net calories.. is that good? I eat about 1300 calories and burn about 1400?

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    What makes you think that might be good?
  • adjones5
    adjones5 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    You should try to get in some more calories
  • chefswife67
    Options
    Bump..
  • Artemis_Acorn
    Artemis_Acorn Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I have been striving to have negative net calories.. is that good? I eat about 1300 calories and burn about 1400?

No. That's bad.
  • rockylucas
    rockylucas Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Thats not good. That's HCG diet followed by a colon cleanse levels of insanity right there :/
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    Nope. Eat your exercise calories. Search the forums about it.
  • voluptuous_veggie
    voluptuous_veggie Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    That's excellent if you're trying to kill yourself slowly and painfully.
  • spammyanna
    spammyanna Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    No, it's not good.

You should eat more.

And end up with at least 1200 positive calories.
  • cowboydan43
    cowboydan43 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Nope that isn't good. MFP already gives you a deficit!
  • charityateet
    charityateet Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    .. is that good?

NO.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    say good bye to all of your muscles. You will look *skinny fat*
  • JamesonsMommy
    JamesonsMommy Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I was doing the same thing.. All was good until i ran myself into the ground and was sick and layed up for about a week... Now i eat most of my exercise calories
  • chauncyrenayCHANGED
    Options
    Hi Dear! Your net calories should be 1200. Try to get as close to this number as possible every day. Good luck to you!
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    No, that's not good. It's the equivalent of burning 100 calories and eating nothing all day! MFP recommends a net calorie intake of 1200.
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    You might lose something, but its going to be a lot more muscle than if you did it reasonably.
  • papa5280
    Options
    Would you ask the question, "Is it OK to eat absolutely nothing?"

What you're asking is the same...but worse.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Very bad idea. You'll get burnt out quickly and it's very likely that weight you lose will be from your lean muscle mass, not from the fat you want to lose.

Please keep in mind that your body is a calorie burning machine. It's always burning calories, even while you're sleeping. Look up your BMR under TOOLS. That's about what your body is burning if you stayed in bed all day. Add the exercise you're doing, and it's like only having enough gas in your car to go 100 miles, and expecting it to go 200.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    The short answer: NO.

The slightly longer answer: the idea of "burn more calories than you eat" is correct, but you have to allow fir the fact that your body burns calories just getting through the day - you need energy (calories) to breathe, digest, pump blood, talk, walk.... In other words, to stay alive. The estimated number of calories that I need to get through a regular day is about 1800 - and that's before I exercise.
    Creating a huge calorie deficit by exercising so much and eating so little is not going to be healthy or sustainable in the longer term.
  • Teliooo
    Teliooo Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    This IS NOT GOOD. MFP alread runs you on a deficit before you even exercise. You will seriously harm your body doing this.
  • CaWaterBug8
    CaWaterBug8 Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options