Hello, all! A mom hoping to lose weight

Options
Hi! I am somewhat new to MFP. I had tried it before, but didn't get too far with it due to personal reasons. I am a 22y/o first time mom and have a 13 month old son. He is rather active, but I haven't seen the scale go down since I have had him. I have only seen it go up and up! I am over weight and need to lose weight badly. I am trying to not focus on how I look, but more focus on becoming healthy. I have many genetic disorders in my family, most of which are from being over weight. I have seen my father take multiple medications as a preventative measure and I don't want to do that. I want to be able to be an active and healthy Mom. I also want to be a healthy role model for my son.

I have previously tried other weight loss programs and it didn't work out for me too well. I am hoping to stick with MFP longer and see the results I am looking for. So, here is to the beginning of my weight loss challenge; the beginning of my battle!

Any advice would be much appreciated it!

Replies

• bigmog
    bigmog Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have been with it for a while, but of course fell off the track for a while with a knee injury. Now I am trying to start again, and can only give you the advice of take little steps for your excercise. I found adding 5 minutes of excercise here and there helped. I too have babies at home (one 16 months and the other 2 1/2) and understand that fitting in a full workout is hard. One thing I found that helped in the begining was dancing with my little men. I would take 5 - 10 minutes here and there with them in my arms and just dance around the livingroom. it was fun for both of us, and although at first you feel kind of silly, eventually the silly feeling wears off and you just feel like you are doing something good for you and the little one.
    Hope this helps.
  • candb
    candb Posts: 238
    Options
    Welcome! My advice is to be fully truthful when doing your food diary, you're only cheating yourself if you aren't. Also make mini goals to celebrate along the way. And when you slip up (everyone does), forgive yourself and move on. Better to have one bad day than a bad week, month, or year.
  • jaydens_momma
    Options
    Thanks! I really like the idea of dancing around with my big, little guy. I am sure after 10 minutes of dancing with my almost 28lb son will make it a good start! : ) He also thinks it's funny when we dance together. I really hope this works out. I have friends who are helping me and making sure I get work outs in. I also need to hold myself accountable for everything. Once I get started I sure hope I can stick with it!
  • ljedmom
    ljedmom Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    It's hard to not get discouraged when your results come s-l-o-w-l-y, and through much effort. I am a mom of four (6, 4, 2, 4 mos) o the same journey...I'm pretty good about encouraging my friends. Partly because it helps me stay motivated. You can friend me if you want some support :)