Up and Working over 24 hours, do I allow more calories?

Options
My day started at 6:00am this morning. I will be working until 9:00am tomorrow when I can finally get to bed. If you have to be up 27+ hours, do you allow yourself additional calories to get through the night, or do you stay true to your goal allowance?

Replies

• BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    bump
  • quara
    quara Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Oh for sure. The calorie allowance is assuming you're sleeping about 1/3 of the day, I'm sure! You need energy to get you through the shift!! Just make your food choices healthy to give you good energy, not sugar highs!! You'll be burning more calories working then you would be sleeping. I would add another 1/3 of your total calories, if it were me.
  • voluptuous_veggie
    voluptuous_veggie Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I would definitely suggest 200-300 calorie meals every 3-4 hours while you're awake to keep your energy up.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I woul add the calories too, and probably a lot of coffee!
  • SimplyDeLish
    Options
    Oh for sure. The calorie allowance is assuming you're sleeping about 1/3 of the day, I'm sure! You need energy to get you through the shift!! Just make your food choices healthy to give you good energy, not sugar highs!! You'll be burning more calories working then you would be sleeping. I would add another 1/3 of your total calories, if it were me.

Sounds like this is probably a great plan!
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    You would have to, but do it in small amounts over time if you possibly can.
    The trick is not to overdo it.
    People that work crazy hours can gain huge amounts of weight because their cravings grow exponentially.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Just add anything after midnight to tomorrow's diary - as you will most probably be sleeping for a good part of your day - and not be eating those calories then.....

My pals on here that have regular shifts change the "meals" on their diaries to be hrs e.g.

0000 to 6000
    6000 to 1200
    1200 to 1800
    1800 to 0000
  • stresco
    stresco Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Starting to get hungry...
  • stresco
    Options
    Just ate 300 cal more... Still under my 1600 cal for the 28th... I guess at 4am, ill eat again and charge to the 29th.
  • BrewerGeorge
    BrewerGeorge Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Absolutely!
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    If you are at 1600 per day then you are roughly at 100 per waking hour on a normal day. I would adjust accordingly if you feel the need.
  • stresco
    Options
    I actually didn't get hungry the rest of the night. I was drinking water constantly, had a couple cups of coffee, and 1 diet soda. Got to bed at 9am, woke up at 2, checked out, grabbed another coffee and got on the road. I didn't eat my first meal until I was well on my way home at 5PM.
  • fitnhealthyccthatsme
    Options
    I was going to mention drinking lots of water, but seems you already had that under control. :smile: