Migraines after any exercise?!

Options
I don't know why but i started noticing this past summer that after zumba, i would have a migraine for a day or so afterwards. I didnt exercise really for the past month and started up walking/jogging again this past monday. I have had a migraine for 2 days now. What gives?? Has anyone heard of this before? I have gotten migraines my whole life but usually around TOM or without caffeine or from stress, but never from workouts.

Replies

• BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    I used to get this all the time, I realised it was because when I was exercising I never breathed properly...
  • rkeil29
    Options
    hmmm..i never thought of that. i need to be more aware of my breathing then. I also hold alot of tension in my shoulders. Do you know any good stretches before/after for neck and shoulders?
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    It could be a headache from dehydration.
    I don't know your pain, but migraines involve minor brain swelling and are geniunely crippling while they occur and include blurred vision during recovery. Is that what you are experiencing? eeesh.
    Try drinking more water than your normally do and see what happens.

Good luck.
  • emancipateurself
    emancipateurself Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    This happens to my friend all the time.....and she finds that if she doesn't get her heart rate above a certain level really fast it helps her alot......just a thought.
  • jridgway49
    Options
    You need to drink lots of water !!
  • JennsLosing
    Options
    i havent read through all the responses, but im sure this is a dupliciate. Make sure your well hydrated. Good luck to you!
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I have heard of this as well. Try taking an anti-inflammatory (Aleve or Motrin) before you exercise. If that doesn't help, talk to your doctor about a migraine preventative medicine like Topamax or Inderal. Good luck.
  • vikesfanmb
    vikesfanmb Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I used to get this all the time, I realised it was because when I was exercising I never breathed properly...

I had the exact same experience. When I first starting exercising, I was getting migraines A LOT. But now that I have learned to not hold my breath while working out (and that was hard work, believe it or not!) I feel a lot better.

Also, I used to have migraines at least once a week . . since eating better and exercising almost every day (at least every other) i have not had nearly as many migraines. Maybe one a month. :smile: Who would have guessed? Just an excellent side benefit to eating healthy and exercising.
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    a lot of people may suggest more water, but my doctor recommended coconut water after a strenuous workout to replace potassium. lack of potassium can cause migraines in certain people. if you don't like coconut water, make sure you are eating potassium-rich foods and see if that helps.
  • rkeil29
    Options
    thank you all for the pointers! i will try all of the above and something has got to eventually work! I want to exercise to get healthy but more migraines are not what i wanted. 1 or 2 a month was more then enough for me, but this is getting ridiculous. Thanks again!! :)
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    Also, I have a bad back (scoliosis - curve of the spine) and if I do not try to keep the best posture whilst doing weights it can greatly affect it.
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Migraines can be related to blood pressure. So if you're getting your blood pumping too much or for too long that could be it too.