Soda does NOT dehydrate you!

Options
2»

Replies

• MrsFarrow
    MrsFarrow Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    It just makes you fat? Diet soda?

This always makes me chuckle a little. I may have been told wrong, but my nutritionist always says moderation. If you eat 300 pounds of salad, it's not that healthy anymore because you're over eating. Your body needs a certain amount of water. If you only drink diet soda for a year, I'm sure you'll have adverse effects of some kind.
  • BeautifulArtemis
    BeautifulArtemis Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    nope it just makes you fat

^^^ this because they are full of sugar which metabolizes into fat~

^^^^What they said :)
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    nope it just makes you fat

^^^ this because they are full of sugar which metabolizes into fat~

^^^^What they said :)

Which has nothing to do with this thread! This thread is purely about hydration, nothing else.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I used to drink nothing BUT soda, so I "should" have been chronically dehydrated for many, many years.

I do feel better now that I chug up to a gallon of water a day (with diluted Crystal Light in it), but I still drink soda daily.
  • LilMissFoodie
    LilMissFoodie Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I have to drink a ton due to certain medical issues and without diet soda I would be lost.

Out of curiousity...what medical issues can soda cure? It's ok if you don't want it known to the public...but I'm just a curious person LOL

They recommend that people following a VLCD (very low calorie diet) continue to include diet caffeinated soft drinks as it has been shown to reduce the incidence of gallstones which is one of the most common severe side effects of VLCDs.

Oh, on the original post, I agree - still hydrating.

Edited to add: I just thought you might find this interesting since you asked haha it has nothing to do with the person who originally wrote about their own condition.
  • KurtisTMcCafferty
    Options
    I take a statin that can trigger nighttime leg cramps. Over time I've learned that they happen when I'm dehydrated, even slightly. That primarily happens if I don't drink enough water during the day. But if I drink coffee in the morning and diet cola in the afternoon--BAM!! Guaranteed nighttime leg cramps. So maybe there's something else in diet cola (not all diet drinks) that's interacting with the statin. But after years of experience and trial-and-error in my diet and even different statins, it is clear to me that diet colas have a net dehydrating effect vs drinking the same quantity of water.
  • FreeToBreathe
    Options
    I've always heard that soda dehydrates you. I am drinking Pepsi and watching the Soft Drinks episode of Modern Marvels which states carbonated soft drinks are 99% water. This prompted me to do a search which turned up countless articles* that debunk the dehydration myth.

Caffeine IS a diuretic but not nearly enough to cancel out the effects of soda's hydrating molecule: H2O.

I'm not saying we should all drink soda instead of pure water. There are a slew of other things that make soda a poor choice. I love water anyway. I just like learning new things and thought I'd spread the news.

*Including this one, which concisely explains: http://controversialstand.wordpress.com/2011/06/09/hello-world/

P.S.: The article I linked to is NOT a scientific article. It states that carbonation is harmless which isn't entirely true, as it has been linked to a drop in bone density. There may be other serious flaws in this article, as well. Do a search for yourself and see what you find! I just really agree with the overall message of "soda does not dehydrate you but it doesn't hydrate as well as water."

Discuss! :drinker:

I'm sorry, but I cannot agree. lol While soda may not dehydrate you, it sure as h*ll does not hydrate you either! I used to live on mt dew...24/7 365 for years and I broke that addiction...live on water since June 2012 and I see a BIG difference. Soda never quenched my thirst. Then I found out there's fire retardant in it, plus who knows what other chemicals...not to mention the empty calories.

I would NEVER promote anyone to drink soda/pop. Of course one here and there won't kill you, but soda-drinking is nothing to brag about. ;)
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    One thing I think people are overlooking is that those drinks also have phosphoric acid (some I believe have other acids as well...citric???) in them....I don't know how much, but am sure that a large enough amount can't be that great for you either....especially your teeth, which I know is not what this topic is about....so just like anything, it's recommended in moderation \m/
  • 4homer
    4homer Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Holy zombie thread Batman!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    The same is true for green and white teas! The diuretic effects are too insignificant to negatively affect hydration. I would imagine this is true for any teas. Anyone know?

The same is true for most non-alcoholic drinks. Coffee, juice, Kool-Aid, milk, etc. Even most beer provides some hydration.

The reason to drink water instead is for what you don't get with water, not because these other things dehydrate.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    carbonation tears up my bladder and is no good for people with bladder disorders/conditions.

mmmm water
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    One thing I think people are overlooking is that those drinks also have phosphoric acid (some I believe have other acids as well...citric???) in them....I don't know how much, but am sure that a large enough amount can't be that great for you either....especially your teeth, which I know is not what this topic is about....so just like anything, it's recommended in moderation \m/

yes those acids mentioned can irritate the bladder of someone who has bladder issues to begin with, it's like pouring acid on an open would. no thanks. same for people with heart burn/gerd issues
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    Holy zombie thread Batman!
    ha! I totally overlooked that....2011??? geez \m/
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Carbonated drinks generally are bad for your teeth - even diet sodas AND fizzy water - because carbon dioxide is highly corrosive. This is why "carbon capture" programmes (which aim to remove and store carbon dioxide caused as part of heat/power generation) are flawed: the Co2 needs to be stored in something non-corrosive under water, but will in time release itself through corroding the storage material.

There's my bit about the environment for the day!
  • AshleyPaleo
    Options
    But can destroy your teeth, rarely have I drank anything but water my whole life and I have never had a cavity, or any other problems with my mouth. 25 years old. Knock on wood,