Calorie Deficit

Okay, after a work out is it necessary to replace all calories burned? I have heard so many different suggestions and I just want to know the right thing to do. I have heard it is best to replace some, but not all. Some days I burn 700 calories during a workout and its pretty tough to replace all of them. I also feel like I lose weight quicker when I do not. Suggestions anyone???

Replies

• I'm still new here, but this seems to be one of the most frequent topics :) When I burn a lot of calories I try to make sure to eat at least half of them back. But otherwise, sometimes I eat them back and sometimes not, it just depends on what I have eaten already that day and if I am still hungry. Regardless of my daily calorie count, after I work out I try to get in some sort of high protein moderate carb mini meal to replenish my body.
  • tisamg
    tisamg Posts: 62 Member
    I'm new here, too, and I have been reading a few posts that say you should eat them. I would like to know, too.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    MFP gives you a deficit based on NO exercise. It is based on your weekly loss goal (i.e. 1lbs per week = 500 calorie deficit a day). If you work out and do not eat your calories you are increasing this deficit. This deficit can become "too big" which can make things too difficult, and can even slow or prevent weight loss. This is more common among individuals with a smaller amount to lose (20lbs or so).