Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

how bad is it to do weights every day?

I really enjoy doing weights, I know I could probably hurt myself doing it every day.... but just wondering what everyone's take is on this?

Replies

• SCBrennan999
    SCBrennan999 Posts: 21 Member
    I don't know about it actually DAMAGING you to lift weights every day. In fact, I think that it's probably better to lift weights every day, especially for women because it strengthens your muscles and prevents osteoporosis. If you like it, go for it. =]
  • Your muscles need time to heal. I wouldn't do every day, but every other. If you want to do weights every day, then do arms one day and legs the next. I believe I remember a trainer telling me once that only abdominals are strong enough to train every day.

Just my 2 cents

Kathy
  • Weight lifters lift weights every day but I think the concentrate on different body parts each day.
    It will be interesting to see what everyone else says. I hate weight trainning but I really need to start doing it.
  • Switch up body parts and you are fine, you don't want to work out every muscle every day, as you won't be giving them any time to heal. Find a routine that works for you. I usually do arms/upper back together, legs on their own day, abs and back and then have a rest day and start over.
  • I love lifting weights...I lift about 4-5x a week on an average. I just do upper body one day and lower body the next...LOVE WEIGHTS
  • k7n2w3
    k7n2w3 Posts: 241 Member
    You can do weights everyday if you concentrate on different body parts like legs one day, bicepts and tricepts another day and back and chest as a 3rd day. The one poster was correct about abs can be done daily too. Your muscles need to heal and repair themselves. You could also do upper and lower body every other day but doing the 3 sets I mentioned are usually recommended. Cardio is very important too though so def get some of that in too :-) Good luck!
    SW 155.1
    GW 115
    CW 112
  • Weights can be done everyday but it's not good to work the same muscles everyday. Alternating days between arms and legs would be better so you're giving the other muscles a chance to relax. I personally only do weights a couple of times a week so I give my muscles a good chance to relax before working them again.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,887 Member
    I really enjoy doing weights, I know I could probably hurt myself doing it every day.... but just wondering what everyone's take is on this?
    I lift almost everyday (minimum 5 days). The key is not training the same body part consecutive days. I train each body part once a week.
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    I wouldn't suggest lifting every day, even if it is a different body part. Everyone knows that muscles heal and grow during the rest period, but what alot of people don't realize is that you are not just working your muscles when you lift weights, you are also working your joints and your nervous system at the same time, and these require a longer rest period than the muscles. A good full body workout, using mostly compound exercises, three days a week for a beginner or even and intermediate is best in my opinion. Now I am not saying at no time should anyone train more than three days a week, but if you haven't been lifting for a long time, you aren't doing yourself any favors by lifting more than three days a week. Just my 2 cents.